The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter changing offer to Falmouth - what can we do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LadyBunion
All gone rather quiet , I hope things have sorted out OK.

I think we will have to work on a No News is Good News basis
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 81
For info, my son applied to Exeter for 2013 entry and it was either Politics OR International Relations at Exeter. The Politics & International Relations combined was only at Cornwall :frown:
The grades required for the Cornwall course were lower than the Exeter courses.
Maybe the UCAS application process didn't make that clear though, in which case ...
Reply 82
Original post by TenOfThem
I think we will have to work on a No News is Good News basis

Sorry guys. No good news. UCAS are 'looking into it' but no response yet. For the record, the application WAS to Streatham campus only, not to Cornwall. The offer was confirmed on results day for Exeter Uni, she accepted it and THEN received a letter stating she could only go to Cornwall and they realised she might be disappointed blah blah, here's 100 pounds towards travel vouchers. If she'd failed to get the grade Exeter was asking for, she'd have been rejected by them and would have gone to her reserve choice, Southampton, but she didn't get that option. It's gone quiet because we are also trying to have a family holiday. My niece has decided to go for a re-mark on one paper. Exeter will give her a place at Streatham IF she gets an A. (So yes, they do have places on this course at Streatham ...) If not, she's taking a year out and will apply elsewhere.

I think, for me, that's the end of it. If anything spectacular changes or UCAS get back to us, I'll let you know.
Reply 83
Original post by Julesinos
Sorry guys. No good news. UCAS are 'looking into it' but no response yet. For the record, the application WAS to Streatham campus only, not to Cornwall. The offer was confirmed on results day for Exeter Uni, she accepted it and THEN received a letter stating she could only go to Cornwall and they realised she might be disappointed blah blah, here's 100 pounds towards travel vouchers. If she'd failed to get the grade Exeter was asking for, she'd have been rejected by them and would have gone to her reserve choice, Southampton, but she didn't get that option. It's gone quiet because we are also trying to have a family holiday. My niece has decided to go for a re-mark on one paper. Exeter will give her a place at Streatham IF she gets an A. (So yes, they do have places on this course at Streatham ...) If not, she's taking a year out and will apply elsewhere.

I think, for me, that's the end of it. If anything spectacular changes or UCAS get back to us, I'll let you know.
The response from UCAS is very disappointing - Exeter is well out of order here, and UCAS should be dealing with that.

What a distressing start to your niece's uni career. If the re-mark doesn't come off, I'm perfectly sure that there are other great unis out there who will be only too delighted to make her an unconditional offer for 2014, and keep their part of the bargain.

Does this mean that there was a change to the offer on Track which your niece accepted? Because that's the only circumstance in which you have to accept an offer after you pick your firm and insurance.
Reply 85
Original post by TheSownRose
Does this mean that there was a change to the offer on Track which your niece accepted? Because that's the only circumstance in which you have to accept an offer after you pick your firm and insurance.
The uni changed the offer after the original one had gone unconditional, and emailed her to say they'd done this. This is why they are so out of order.
Original post by Minerva
The uni changed the offer after the original one had gone unconditional, and emailed her to say they'd done this. This is why they are so out of order.

This is really horrendous on Exeter's part. I don't think I've ever heard of a university introducing additional conditions after an applicant has met a conditional offer before - they should be ashamed of themselves.
the letter sounds enough to be a legal admission of liability. Quite disgraceful behaviour by Exeter they should honour the offer or offer a more substantial compensation. The parents should check their insurance to see if it includes legal cover and take legal advice.
Good Luck with the remark.. and hope the holiday goes well.

Must say if it was the Bunion household, I would be telling Exeter what they could do, be arranging an interesting gap year and applying through UCAS again studiously avoiding a certain university.
Reply 89
I had a few problems with Exeter admissions myself, when trying to get released into clearing (Exeter was my firm choice) they took over 4 hours to release me compared to the 5 minutes that Cardiff took despite explaining my situation regarding clearing and that the longer they took the harder it would be for me to secure my place (I had a verbal agreement in place).
This sounds really appalling. The girl met the terms of her offer, then was told she was being shunted 100 miles away unless she got higher grades than she needed! I've temped in university admissions and even with that little experience I know tat this is NOT acceptable.

Is not like it's just down the road either. People choose their unis for good reason, and to offer them a completely different experience when they have fulfilled their side of the bargain is entirely unethical. I considered Exeter but would never have considered Cornwall - lovely as it is, I don't drive and would have felt terribly isolated there. Exeter has good rail links to the rest of the country but Falmouth doesn't - students would have to travel less and be visited less and this would make a huge difference to their quality of life.

Shame on Exeter. If I were in this position I'd take it to the newspapers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
In Exeter's defence, going by the prospectus there are no offers that state AAB or A*BB (equivalent). I've never even known Exeter to have entry requirements with only one A grade, A* or otherwise so I can't imagine them accepting A*BB, to be honest. Unless they made you a specific offer on UCAS...

So unless the offer said, in black and white, AAB or equivalent, then she didn't actually meet the offer. But as I said, the prospectus doesn't suggest this to be the case. Also, the course technically not existing is an issue... Are you absolutely positive that it was relations, not studies? As it's been said above they offer both politics and international relations as separate courses on the Exeter campus, but it seems the only joint honours was at Cornwall.

She may have ticked a box for the Exeter campus, but if the course doesn't exist in Exeter then there isn't much they can do other than put her in Cornwall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92

What did she actually do ? Because if you are happy with the uni/course that you get into then you don't need to take any further action. When you log into track it comes up with a message saying congrats you got into the uni of xxxxx to study xxxxx You don't need to take any further action. Like others have said, I think this is only if there have been changes to the course/conditions. So if there are changes then she needs to look at them carefully before agreeing to it.

I still think Exeter are out of order though.

Original post by LouiseOrd
In Exeter's defence, going by the prospectus there are no offers that state AAB or A*BB (equivalent). I've never even known Exeter to have entry requirements with only one A grade, A* or otherwise so I can't imagine them accepting A*BB, to be honest. Unless they made you a specific offer on UCAS...

So unless the offer said, in black and white, AAB or equivalent, then she didn't actually meet the offer. But as I said, the prospectus doesn't suggest this to be the case. Also, the course technically not existing is an issue... Are you absolutely positive that it was relations, not studies? As it's been said above they offer both politics and international relations as separate courses on the Exeter campus, but it seems the only joint honours was at Cornwall.

She may have ticked a box for the Exeter campus, but if the course doesn't exist in Exeter then there isn't much they can do other than put her in Cornwall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you even read the opening post? Her offer said she needed to get A*BB or AAB.
Reply 93
Surely as it is another campus within the same university, Exeter are within their rights to do this. The Cornwall campus is at the end of the day still part of Exeter University, it could perhaps merely be that Exeter have decided to move the course to another campus due to space constraints.
Reply 94
Original post by JTP94
Surely as it is another campus within the same university, Exeter are within their rights to do this. The Cornwall campus is at the end of the day still part of Exeter University, it could perhaps merely be that Exeter have decided to move the course to another campus due to space constraints.

They told her that if in her remark she ended up with A*AB then she could go to the campus she applied for. Which is changing the conditions of her offer on results day, which is bang out of order.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 95
Original post by nic-nac
They told her that if in her remark she ended up with A*AB then she could go to the campus she applied for. Which is changing the conditions of her offer on results day, which is bang out of order.

Isn't it plausible that the process works in a way that the campus applied for is a 'preferred campus' much like the accommodation application process works? Despite the obvious inconvenience of the distance and location it is not as though it's a case of getting an offer at one uni and being sent to another.
Original post by nic-nac
Did you even read the opening post? Her offer said she needed to get A*BB or AAB.

Did you read mine? I was going by what's in the prospectus, which doesn't mention the word equivalent, which would be where the A*BB comes in. I said, if she has it in black and white that they gave her a different offer to what they offer in the prospectus, then fair play. But as I said, no one I know has had an offer that only relies on one A/A* grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Original post by JTP94
Isn't it plausible that the process works in a way that the campus applied for is a 'preferred campus' much like the accommodation application process works? Despite the obvious inconvenience of the distance and location it is not as though it's a case of getting an offer at one uni and being sent to another.

That might be the case when you apply, but once you've got your offer, it should be set as to which campus you're going to.

Original post by LouiseOrd
Did you read mine? I was going by what's in the prospectus, which doesn't mention the word equivalent, which would be where the A*BB comes in. I said, if she has it in black and white that they gave her a different offer to what they offer in the prospectus, then fair play. But as I said, no one I know has had an offer that only relies on one A/A* grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The prospectus is a good thing to look at, but when her offer was given and met, exeter should keep their side of the deal.
Reply 98
Original post by TheSownRose

Off topic question, but where is your avatar taken from?
Original post by Kiss
Off topic question, but where is your avatar taken from?

It's from Lower Voe, in the Shetland Islands.

Quick Reply

Latest