The Student Room Group

BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science Level 3

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Parmis021
Hi guys, i want to do btec applied science level 3 and i want to know whether this course is hard or not, and what it contain, also i heard that there are assignments to do so are these assignments done externally or internally? and is the practical work hard and what does it contain? thanks

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/nationals10/appsci/Pages/default.aspx

Follow that link, it will show you all the units that EDEXCEL do, however your college will only assign between 12-18 units (depending on the course, and the credits for each unit).
Also in relation to difficulty, as long as you have google, you can't fail it.
You do the assignments in college with everyone in your class, they get marked by the teacher, then at some point a few peoples work will be sent off to be moderated to make sure the marking is being done correctly.
Practical work at the most is fiddly, you will most likely be guided through it, and there isn't much hard about it.
If you have a strong base knowledge of all the sciences you will find it at the most a little bit challenging.
Reply 61
Thanks for your message and another question i have is that what is the difference between btec sccience level 3 and 2? i know obviously level 3 is harder but i mean in terms of assignments or exams.
Hi
Anyone here done a degree in mechanical engineering via a foundation year
Just want to know how you found it
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
I was wondering would it be best to do A levels in both Biology and Chemistry or do BTEC in applied science
Reply 64
Could you please send me the link for the edexel book for Btec. Please
Reply 65
omg you genius!!! i figured your at university now i was wondering how hard is it in comparision to BTEC applied science level 3?
Private message me if you are reading this>? :-P
Reply 66
Original post by zainahmed72
Just to let you know there is a book which you can purchase costs around £20. The whole course is structured around that book. Any thing of any unit you study will be in there. It's like the answer book for btec. It shows you want units you are doing. If you want let me know I'll send you a link for that specific edexel book.

Can you please send me the link for that? Thanks
Reply 67
hi guys i got my results today and i cant do A-Levels but i can do BTEC Level 3 science can i still get/do anything to do with medicine/medical or shall i reset all the science again
Reply 68
Hey Guys

I was wondering if you know anyone who's gotten accepted to study nutrition or dietetics at university with a BTEC Extended National Diploma in Applied Science??

& Is it REALLY difficult to get D or D*'s? If I work really hard, will I be able to achieve it?

Thank A lot x
Don't know about the degree you want to go for but honestly if you are an average student at GCSE, the applied science will be a walk in the park.
I am going to be starting my second year in September and I got 10 distinctions out of 10 units in my first year.
But seriously if you want to study and actually learn something, try going for A-levels, also applied science won't get you into top degrees such as engineering, medicine, dentistry.
I chose applied science and I kind of regret it as I haven't really learnt anything purely because of the coursework method of teaching. (You can research everything on the Internet and ace your assessment)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 70
Hi, for those people who had done btec science level 3, can you tell me in how many day a week do you study btec science and how many hours each lesson?? thanks, please reply as soon as possible
Original post by Serena17
Hey Guys

I was wondering if you know anyone who's gotten accepted to study nutrition or dietetics at university with a BTEC Extended National Diploma in Applied Science??

& Is it REALLY difficult to get D or D*'s? If I work really hard, will I be able to achieve it?

Thank A lot x

I don't know anyone but I know btecs are excepted :smile: I want to be a dietician and I did one year of level 3 applied science but I didn't like it so I'm gonna do a foundation year and then progress onto the degree!

And yes Ds and D*s are achievable only if you work very hard. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Parmis021
Hi, for those people who had done btec science level 3, can you tell me in how many day a week do you study btec science and how many hours each lesson?? thanks, please reply as soon as possible

Doesn't it depend on which college you go to? Mine was 4 days a week and different hours on different days because we had serious problems in my college...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Original post by YummyDietician
I don't know anyone but I know btecs are excepted :smile: I want to be a dietician and I did one year of level 3 applied science but I didn't like it so I'm gonna do a foundation year and then progress onto the degree!

And yes Ds and D*s are achievable only if you work very hard. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

So had you done A-Levels along with that BTEC in order to be ableto do a foundation year?

& if you don't mind me asking, what uni? :smile:

Thanks A lot!!
So had you done A-Levels along with that BTEC in order to be ableto do a foundation year?

& if you don't mind me asking, what uni? :smile:

Thanks A lot!!

No, in order to do most foundation years , they ask for a certain amount of UCAS points or grade but its usually from one level 3 course ie btec a level... But you must have maths and English GCSE. I've just done a lot of education due to certain circumstances...

I'm going to uni of Hertfordshire :smile: I need somewhere very close to where I live! London! I wasn't allowed to stay at home lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Can you private message me the link please. Thank you
Reply 76
No, in order to do most foundation years , they ask for a certain amount of UCAS points or grade but its usually from one level 3 course ie btec a level... But you must have maths and English GCSE. I've just done a lot of education due to certain circumstances...

I'm going to uni of Hertfordshire :smile: I need somewhere very close to where I live! London! I wasn't allowed to stay at home lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just checked the Hertfordshire website

I can't find Dietetics with foundation year?

Cause I'm planning to apply for Nutrition/Dietetics (Uni's in London) & I'm thinking of doing an BTEC Extended National Diploma in Applied Science along with A-level Biology

Could you tell me more about how you got into the foundation year in Herefordshire? Like what qualifications did you apply with? :smile: Thanks
I just checked the Hertfordshire website

I can't find Dietetics with foundation year?

Cause I'm planning to apply for Nutrition/Dietetics (Uni's in London) & I'm thinking of doing an BTEC Extended National Diploma in Applied Science along with A-level Biology

Could you tell me more about how you got into the foundation year in Herefordshire? Like what qualifications did you apply with? :smile: Thanks

It's called the extended science degree :smile:
But I'm so confused... Why do you wanna do a foundation year, when you're gonna complete a extended diploma and a-level? You'll be over qualified to do an foundation... So you might as well apply to the normal dietetics degree when you finish doing the btec and a level. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
It's called the extended science degree :smile:
But I'm so confused... Why do you wanna do a foundation year, when you're gonna complete a extended diploma and a-level? You'll be over qualified to do an foundation... So you might as well apply to the normal dietetics degree when you finish doing the btec and a level. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh noI thought you had done A-levels and a BTEC & had applied for a foundation year for dietetics

I checked the entry requirements for dietetics and nutrition and it says you need A-Level chemistry along with an BTEC Extended National Diploma

Not sure if they'll accept my BTEC along with a Biology A-Level?
Oh noI thought you had done A-levels and a BTEC & had applied for a foundation year for dietetics

I checked the entry requirements for dietetics and nutrition and it says you need A-Level chemistry along with an BTEC Extended National Diploma

Not sure if they'll accept my BTEC along with a Biology A-Level?

The only reason why I'm doing a foundation is because I didn't do well in my a levels and I didn't want to finish my btec as I wasn't learning anything...

The best thing to do is to call the unis that you want to go to and ask them about the requirements... Because even if you somehow get onto the foundation year, it would be a waste of one year and money as you would be doing basically the whole 2 years of btec and a level all over again in one year ( that's what a foundation year is)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending