The Student Room Group

22 August 2013 GCSE results: Didn't do as well as you'd hoped? Advice here!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChocoholicCox
Edexcel History A Germany
I got my results today. I have done brilliantly on my history tests iv been getting B's and C's previously then today for unit 2 history A i get a E WTF and guess what i found out my friend getting As and A*s also gets a E this can;t be right what should i do get a remark or complain to teacher? or etc the test was really good and revised the booklet for it inside out and couldn't of done better and i felt it was the best exam i had done.

Have a chat to a couple of your classmates and see what they got. If it looks like there has been a lot of dodgy grades then contact your teacher. Something similar happened to my AS level History group this year and the teacher put the whole class bar me, I think, in for a remark. (I had a B but am considering a remark anyway.)

Regardless, if this does not come to fruition then I'd go for a remark if you honestly think you got nowhere near an E grade.
Original post by Endless Blue
Have a chat to a couple of your classmates and see what they got. If it looks like there has been a lot of dodgy grades then contact your teacher. Something similar happened to my AS level History group this year and the teacher put the whole class bar me, I think, in for a remark. (I had a B but am considering a remark anyway.)

Regardless, if this does not come to fruition then I'd go for a remark if you honestly think you got nowhere near an E grade.

Reply 122
Original post by Endless Blue

Could you help me aswell

So I am pleased with my result overall as I got 4A* ,11As and 1B
But I am seriously confused about English Language.

So basically it says provisional on my Exam sheet.
Apparently the AQA got our CA grade wrong which is now being sorted out.

I did my exam in January and got
UNIT 1: 89 UMS
UNIT 2: 47 UMS
UNIT 3: 110 UMS

which adds upto 246 UMS which would have been an A

Then I did a retake in the exam and unfortunately got lower this time and ended up with 82 UMS.
Which adds up to 239 UMS which is a B, the same on my exam sheet.

Did the AQA count my recent gcse or the higher one?
What should I do now?
I am really confused.
Sorry for making it so long but I seriously need help.
Reply 123
Hi everyone, I got 2A*'s in Chemistry and Maths. 6A's in English Language, History, Biology, Physics, R.E (short course), English literature. 3B's in Spanish, Product Design (resistant materials) and Geography.

I know these grades are good enough to get me into sixth form but are they really that good? and even if I do well at A-level will they hinder my chances of getting to a top uni?

Although I had a poor attendance due to illness and had no special help or advantages.

Just a bit concerned that's all :smile:
Original post by HeyHoYolo
Hi everyone, I got 2A*'s in Chemistry and Maths. 6A's in English Language, History, Biology, Physics, R.E (short course), English literature. 3B's in Spanish, Product Design (resistant materials) and Geography.

A*A*AAAAAABBB. Unless if you're planning to go to one of the best grammar schools in the UK, or one of the top Russell Group universities (and I mean the top not all of them), I'm sure that's fine... come on...

Anyway, I didn't really want to post here but I thought that starting a new thread would be a bad idea. I got 2 As, 2 Bs, 2 Cs and a D in GCSE. The D was in Additional Science but I do not have any sort of spark for Science whatsoever for the subject and I don't need it for anything I want to do, I also got a C in Core Science so I think I'll keep it. However, I got a C in English Literature (whilst I got an A in English Language so this was rather confusing), which is disappointing because I wanted to get an A. This was down to unit 1, which was the exploring modern texts unit in AQA. I got a good grade in English Language and I guess I did pass Literature so I don't want to waste time resitting it, but should I spend the £32 to get a remark for English Lit Unit 1? I know I did badly but I didn't expect to get a D in the paper, so would this be at all beneficial or should I just take the grade and leave GCSEs behind me?
A*AAAAAAAABBB

Absolutely gutted! Quite happy with my science's but I just missed out on an A in maths. I got 98UMS (A) in unit 1, 100UMS (A) in unit 2 and 119 (B) in unit 3. That adds up to 317 and I needed 320 to get the A. Safe to say I am so so so disappointed and upset words can't explain! I really wanted to go to this other school for sixth form and I got the grades for everything else but maths (needed the A). I worked so hard I don't know what went wrong.

So I've applied to my school anyway and they've taken me for my subjects (physics maths biology and English) but as I'm on holiday, my parents went along to this other school to try & get me in there and they've basically said maybe if there is space... I don't know how likely it is they'll have space?! I was 3 marks off the grade and I would have been safely confirmed there!! :'( my brother goes there as well!!

Someone please help, they've said they'll ring my dad sometime next week when they've sorted out all the students who did get the grades! We'll all be on holiday then. How likely is it that they'll have space and accept me in, THREE MARKS THAT IS ALL! All my other grades are on target or above!

I know this is long but I am so so so worried right now, please help me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are my GCSE results any good:-

I got 2.5As,2.5Bs,3Cs and 2Ds.

Could I get into a russel group with these grades?

(btw one D I have appealled against and one other D is maths which I will indefinatly retake. I might also remark the B as I was 5 UMS off an A in ICT and retake the C in Additional Applied Science (In July)as I was only 3 UMS marks of a B. I think I also need to do this to prepare for Additional Applied Science at A - Level)

Also all my TARGETS were Ds and Es so this is a HUGE achivemnet for me! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 128
Original post by AishaTara
hey all, I got some remarks done, which all went up. If you want any advice or a chat feel free to PM me. Also my teachers wouldn't allow it even though it was by 1 UMS so I had to argue alot, dont give up. its totally worth it, as you get your money back if it goes up and the worst that can happen is you lose your money!
xx

Hi,
I got 1 ums off an A in English Lit. The cost to remark all three exams (as I didn't do awfully in any of them) would be £90. Do you know if they often change marks at all? Thanks
LEB
Reply 129
In both Biology and Physics I got an A with a Total UMS one mark from A* grade (359). At core and additional I got As and Bs so (70-90 UMS points) so after loads of hard work to pull it up to A* I got 100UMS on both Unit 3 papers and A*on both ISAs. Obviously I don't want the unit 3 papers remarked but can I get my unit 1 and 2 remarked? I just need one more point! -.-
Reply 130
Original post by CloudieC
In both Biology and Physics I got an A with a Total UMS one mark from A* grade (359). At core and additional I got As and Bs so (70-90 UMS points) so after loads of hard work to pull it up to A* I got 100UMS on both Unit 3 papers and A*on both ISAs. Obviously I don't want the unit 3 papers remarked but can I get my unit 1 and 2 remarked? I just need one more point! -.-

Did you do unit 1 and 2 in June 2013? If so, yes you can. If you did them before (like in January or something), I'm afraid you can't remark them anymore. :no:
i got my only A in French and i was 19 UMS off an A*
should i get a remark or is it too many marks off?
Hey I was just wondering is getting 9A's and 3B's at GCSE good enough in life?
Reply 133
Original post by Futuredoctor2
Hey I was just wondering is getting 9A's and 3B's at GCSE good enough in life?

Yeah, they're good grades - well done. :smile:
Reply 134
Original post by marie farie
i got my only A in French and i was 19 UMS off an A*
should i get a remark or is it too many marks off?

I wouldn't bother tbh - it is very unlikely for it go up. An A is still awesome though, well done! :biggrin:
I got a C overall in English Langauge AQA unit 1 1 mark into a C all other units Bs i was 2 marks in ums away from a B overall meaning it was 1 mark of :O since 60% is controlled assessments since they have been sent of can i not get them back and try to get 2 extra marks? or would i have to retake (but tbh i don't want to retake :/)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by usycool1
Yeah, they're good grades - well done. :smile:

Thanks but I know they are not amazing to do medicine. Which is a problem
Reply 137
Original post by Futuredoctor2
Thanks but I know they are not amazing to do medicine. Which is a problem

They're fine for medicine! Have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

Just avoid places like Oxford/Birmingham etc. :smile:
I wouldn't bother tbh - it is very unlikely for it go up. An A is still awesome though, well done! :biggrin:

thank you
They're fine for medicine! Have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

Just avoid places like Oxford/Birmingham etc. :smile:

Thank you :smile: Yhh i wasnt planning on them, they may look at my grades laugh and throw my application away. ah well there are other universities which accept with overall A grades. In a way I am not totally screwed but not totally safe. I have already started with my A levels. Times are tough! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest