The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Room Student
I posted yesterday, but should thought I should add this:

Out of 112 students in year 11 at my school, I was the only one to achieve an A* in English Literature.

As pleased as I am with 197/200 (180 for an A*) I am shocked at how the school has performed as a whole.

I ask, is this concerning (I think it is!) and roughly what proportion/how many achieved an A* in Lit at your school?

At least twenty people, including myself. We did AQA, by the way.
did any of you do fsmq add maths cos i seem to have got the grade (a) but not my marks out of the total.
is this the same for you guys
Are these a good set of results? I got:
English Lit-A*
French-A*
Maths-A
History-A
Philosophy-A
Biology-A
Latin-A
Physics-B
English Lang-B
So overall thats: 2A*s, 5As and 2Bs is that a good set of results because i feel quite disappointed :frown:
Original post by paradoxicalme
Well done, those are fantastic! :biggrin: Somehow managed 9A*, no idea how though...keep thinking yesterday was a fever dream :tongue: You going to go do A levels then?

Nice :frown:((( I got 8 A*s (further maths was at A^, which A* with distinction) and 4 As.

I was extremely surprised i did that well tbh.

I'm getting my history remarked cos was 2 ums off A*. My English was 3 ums off, but not gonna remark it.
Well done, those are fantastic! :biggrin: Somehow managed 9A*, no idea how though...keep thinking yesterday was a fever dream :tongue: You going to go do A levels then?

omg well done they're amazing!! Yep, I'm going to take biology, chemistry, Spanish and Art history :smile: you?
I'm so happy with my GCSE results! They are;

Distinction* in Drama
Distinction* in Music
A* in English Language
A* in Religious Studies
A in English Literature
A in Spanish
A in History
A in Maths
A in Additional Science
and a B in Core Science (taken in year 10)
Original post by king_revision
Nice :frown:((( I got 8 A*s (further maths was at A^, which A* with distinction) and 4 As.

I was extremely surprised i did that well tbh.

I'm getting my history remarked cos was 2 ums off A*. My English was 3 ums off, but not gonna remark it.

My friend's exactly the same as you for history, good luck, it has a really good chance of going up :smile: And well done on those grades!
Original post by nkamy
In RS I got 86.5% In French I got 87.33 % In geography I got 87.75% are these exams worth remarking? I have got 5A*s so far, and I would be really pleased to have 8A*s :biggrin: I am looking to do medicine in the future. Oh btw, is it just me or has AQA been reaaaaaalllyy harsh when marking the coursework this year?

RS is definitely worth it, Geography is probably worth it, French tends to be well marked but since it's so close to the boundary, go for it. Well done for the 5A* :biggrin: And coursework is always harshly marked, the exam boards hate us :frown:
2A*s, 8As, 1B and 1C:

Spanish-A*
History-A*
Maths-A
English Lang-A
Business-A
I.T.-A
Biology-A
Chemistry-A
Physics-A
R.S.-A
English Lit-B
Gujarati-C

Good enough for LSE?

A-levels: Maths, History, Physics, Business.
Reply 8209
RS is definitely worth it, Geography is probably worth it, French tends to be well marked but since it's so close to the boundary, go for it. Well done for the 5A* :biggrin: And coursework is always harshly marked, the exam boards hate us :frown:
Ah thanks so much! In French my writing coursework marks came down by 9 UMS! otherwise I would have got my A* :frown: how'd you do yesterday? :biggrin:
Original post by ScotsLad
Hi, my sister got 10 As which is good but annoying because all the UMS scores were in the 80s and 6 of the subjects were 87% or above. Is it worth getting a re-mark on all or any

Remark any subjects in which:

-Marking is subjective (i.e. DON'T remark maths, and sciences are probably also not worth it)
-She honestly believes that she did a bit better than it says
-It's not too close to the B boundary
-There's one module, for instance, that's quite a bit lower than the others so is an obvious candidate for remarking.

Congratulations to your sister, those are great grades, and good luck for remarking :smile:
Original post by VBisnotme
2A*s, 8As, 1B and 1C:

Spanish-A*
History-A*
Maths-A
English Lang-A
Business-A
I.T.-A
Biology-A
Chemistry-A
Physics-A
R.S.-A
English Lit-B
Gujarati-C

Good enough for LSE?

A-levels: Maths, History, Physics, Business.

Combined with stellar AS level grades, sure :smile:
I got 5 A*'s and 7 A's and i still can't believe it, i don't think it's sunk in yet. I was also 2 UMS marks off an A* in history (edexcel A)as my coursework (and many other in the school was marked down) even though i got 100% in two out of the three exams
Original post by alice_c_97
omg well done they're amazing!! Yep, I'm going to take biology, chemistry, Spanish and Art history :smile: you?

Thank you :biggrin: I'm taking biology, psychology, philosophy, maths and english lit :smile: here's hoping AS goes as well for us as yesterday did!
Original post by nkamy
Ah thanks so much! In French my writing coursework marks came down by 9 UMS! otherwise I would have got my A* :frown: how'd you do yesterday? :biggrin:

I hate it when coursework gets moderated :frown: you could try remarking one of your exams? And I got 9A* :biggrin:
Original post by rrichardson
I got 5 A*'s and 7 A's and i still can't believe it, i don't think it's sunk in yet. I was also 2 UMS marks off an A* in history (edexcel A)as my coursework (and many other in the school was marked down) even though i got 100% in two out of the three exams

Congratulations about your results! And with history our school has the EXACT same problem - so many people got marked down for edexcel A - my friend, who's fantastic at history, got 100% on two of the units, 90% on the third and 60% on the fourth which pulled her down to an A, she's getting a remark :smile:
Original post by nkamy
Oh wow congrats! :biggrin: I got 100% in the reading exam, and 93% in the listening, which the answers are v. precise :frown: Its my writing that they really brought me down on *sigh*

Thank you :biggrin: those are great exam results, is there any way to remark the writing?
Congratulations about your results! And with history our school has the EXACT same problem - so many people got marked down for edexcel A - my friend, who's fantastic at history, got 100% on two of the units, 90% on the third and 60% on the fourth which pulled her down to an A, she's getting a remark :smile:

Thank you, i also got 100% on two of the units 88 on an other and the coursework was 70, so i might see if it's worth it
Original post by pic perfect
I got 6B and 4C. can I still be a doctor

Yes but you'll need very good AS level results to get an offer and you'll need to Chemistry and Biology
Reply 8219
I got: English Lit A*, IGCSE First Language English A (my first language isn't English anyways but there you go), Biology A*, Chemistry A*, Physics A*, Core Science A* Maths A*, Methods of Maths A*, Applications of Maths A, Religious Studies Short Course A*, Textiles A*, French A*, Geography A* and Distinction in IT. I'm happy with it but before these two As I never got an A in any of my exams ever so I'm kind of a little bit disappointed about that :frown:

Latest