The Student Room Group

Grade B for English lit AS and need an A

I just got my results back yesterday and I managed to get high a's in Government and politics and business studies but I only got a b in English lit. I know a b is good but I really need an A as I want to study it at university. It's my best subject, with my grades currently arguing otherwise, and I just want to know whether any RG unis will accept me only having a b in English. I managed to get an a in the coursework and I want to resit the exam, but the resit isn't until next year and I have no idea what will happen/ what to do- whether I'll have to resit the year or take another subject at Uni :frown: Any advice is appreciated!:smile: :confused:
Reply 1
I wouldn't worry too much. Just taking Glasgow for example, they ask for AAB but don't say that they need you to have an A in lit. I'm sure there are other unis like that too if you look around, but if you've already got an A in your coursework then you could resit the exam and even if you just get a B it may go up to an A (I got an A in my coursework, B in exam at AS and it was an A overall). There's no point choosing to do a degree you won't love because there will be unis out there that are right for you anyway, even if they're not necessarily RG unis :smile:
Reply 2
Hi

I'm just after sitting my A-levels and i've been accepted into a RG uni. I messed up at my AS levels and got an E in the exam for English, but overall it was a C. I applied for English with Creative Writing in a RG uni anyway, and i got my offer of ABB anyway. As long as you tell them you are expected to achieve the said grade (which you will need), you will be grand. I went from an E in English to an A in a year. If you work hard, you'll be fine. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by CaolanQ
went from an E in English to an A in a year. If you work hard, you'll be fine. :smile:

Thanks, do you know if it's possible to bring up my English grade just by a good performance at A2, or will I definitely have to resit to get an A?:smile:
Original post by CaolanQ
Hi

I'm just after sitting my A-levels and i've been accepted into a RG uni. I messed up at my AS levels and got an E in the exam for English, but overall it was a C. I applied for English with Creative Writing in a RG uni anyway, and i got my offer of ABB anyway. As long as you tell them you are expected to achieve the said grade (which you will need), you will be grand. I went from an E in English to an A in a year. If you work hard, you'll be fine. :smile:

I got a C in English Lit for AS, and I want to do English Lit and Creative Writing at uni despite getting a B (4 marks of an A) in AS English Lang. Do you think I should resit the AS Lit exam or just work SUPER HARD at A2? I know A2 is gonna be really difficult (especially the exam)! For you, was A2 more difficult for you? (or are naturally gifted at English)?
Reply 5
Original post by KayJaay
Thanks, do you know if it's possible to bring up my English grade just by a good performance at A2, or will I definitely have to resit to get an A?:smile:

A2 is much harder to get marks in. AS equates to 120 marks, whereas each A2 is 100 marks (I think!). So I would suggest repeating the AS to get your A, and I found that the exam was easier once you had repeated it! Hope I helped!
Reply 6
Original post by Cool_JordH
I got a C in English Lit for AS, and I want to do English Lit and Creative Writing at uni despite getting a B (4 marks of an A) in AS English Lang. Do you think I should resit the AS Lit exam or just work SUPER HARD at A2? I know A2 is gonna be really difficult (especially the exam)! For you, was A2 more difficult for you? (or are naturally gifted at English)?

I would advise resitting it. A2 is only difficult if you don't work for it, like there comes a point that you get into this groove of writing and you remember all the Assessment Objectives and it really begins to work. But, you must put time and effort into it. I'd still advise repeating AS because it is worth more marks and it gives you a cushion if the A2 doesn't go as planned!
Original post by CaolanQ
I would advise resitting it. A2 is only difficult if you don't work for it, like there comes a point that you get into this groove of writing and you remember all the Assessment Objectives and it really begins to work. But, you must put time and effort into it. I'd still advise repeating AS because it is worth more marks and it gives you a cushion if the A2 doesn't go as planned!

Yeah same, but I'm going be resitting my Ethics paper cause it went horrible so I don't want extra pressure for it! And tbf, I hated WW1 Lit and kind of ready to start something new! I'm going to ask my teacher what she thinks I should do - either redo coursework, resit the exam or neither. It was a mid C, 9 marks off a B so I'm not too sure on what to do!! :confused:

What exam board were you with? And did you have to do wider reading? I'm with AQA A
Reply 8
Original post by Cool_JordH
Yeah same, but I'm going be resitting my Ethics paper cause it went horrible so I don't want extra pressure for it! And tbf, I hated WW1 Lit and kind of ready to start something new! I'm going to ask my teacher what she thinks I should do - either redo coursework, resit the exam or neither. It was a mid C, 9 marks off a B so I'm not too sure on what to do!! :confused:

What exam board were you with? And did you have to do wider reading? I'm with AQA A

Well I was with CCEA (The exam board in Northern Ireland). Ask your teacher, she will know you and how well you can do. I had to do lots of wider reading, especially in A2!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending