The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8840
Original post by Brainiac
not interested in the rest of the argument thats gone on, but I would like to challenge this point. It is not neccessarily true that because a player is young (under 23) he hasnt reached his peak. In fact players tend to peak at different ages depending largely on what position they play. Some positions require someone with great experience, great pace or flair. Arguably Pirlo, Scholes, Xavi and now carrick all peaked at around 32 Because the deep lying playmaker role takes someone with experience (although veratti seems very able in this role for someone so young). While positions that require pace tend to have players who peak early- michael owen won the ballon d'or when he was 20/21.

Another couple of examples:

Messi has scored almost a goal a game since he was 21- Scored 38 in 51
Rooney has scored almost a goal every 2 games since he was 20- scored 23 in 55
Ronaldo scored 42 in 49 when he was 23

so some players can reach the highest level early on in their career.
Also how many young english players have been touted as the next best thing because they show promise at an early age but never really advance from that level...

but dont take my word for it, this was a good article by the person who writes for zonal marking.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/tacticsandanalysis/id/1605?cc=5739
Of course, definitely agree with you here. I wasn't saying Hazard hadn't peaked, just questioning how that guy somehow knew he had, and at 22 he definitely has time on his side. That point in particular though was addressing a comment he made in an earlier post that Chelsea hadn't bought Hazard young.
Original post by Manchester United
It is fantastic.

He realises there is a part of the team that could do with strengthening, but he wont just rush out and buy the wrong player for the wrong price.

It takes a strong person to do that. Most managers would crumble under the pressure of the media and the fans and just spend 35m on a flop to shut everyone up.

Say that to an arsenal fan
Reply 8842
Wilian transfer to Chelsea makes no sense, I think Chelsea may be preparing to bid for Rooney with Mata involved. Would reject that why would we need Mata or Ozil if we don't even use a AM, we already have Kagawa who with BVB was just as good.
Reply 8843
Original post by rohitbd
Wilian transfer to Chelsea makes no sense, I think Chelsea may be preparing to bid for Rooney with Mata involved. Would reject that why would we need Mata or Ozil if we don't even use a AM, we already have Kagawa who with BVB was just as good.

OpoQQ.jpg

You wouldn't take Mata or Ozil over Kagawa?
Original post by rohitbd

I think it's due to us being ****s to spurs tbh. No other reason why.
Original post by Musester
OpoQQ.jpg

They don't really need them tbh, and it's not like Mata is a ridiculous level above kags, add to that Ozil is great for 70mins and is subbed off as he can't finish a game
Awful transfer window by us so far. I guess it was to be expected due to the loss of one of the most successful chief executive/manager relationships in football. SAF retiring was obviously a huge loss but David Gill stepping down also can't be understated. Like Manchester United (the poster), I just hope we don't make any panic buys - although not having a midfield is a massive problem, we still have a very good squad.
Original post by Manchester United
It is fantastic.

He realises there is a part of the team that could do with strengthening, but he wont just rush out and buy the wrong player for the wrong price.

It takes a strong person to do that. Most managers would crumble under the pressure of the media and the fans and just spend 35m on a flop to shut everyone up.

Sorry, I can't buy this. He's had since the beginning of July. He wasted a good 3/4 weeks on a player that was never coming (Fabregas). Yes, maybe his agent may have given us hope, but he really should have kept his options open. Our back-room staff is big enough for that. There were/are PLENTY of quality midfield players out there (yes, maybe not world class), but some who would get into our first team.
I definitely don't want us to panic buy, but Moyes stepped into this job and said very early on that we needed a midfielder. It's a complete failure that one hasn't been brought in.
Reply 8849
I think if we do well on Monday night then we should be fine for the season with out current squad, but i can see some panic buys being made if we do badly.
Reply 8850
Original post by Over2you
He wasted a good 3/4 weeks on a player that was never coming (Fabregas).

That's what's annoying, they've been made to look clueless. Couple that with two bids for Baines that were supposedly less than offers he rejected as Everton manager and bidding for Fellaini after his release clause expired.... I don't even.

We could've had Fellaini ages ago if they acted remotely competently, now we've got no one. And now the leagues have all started, that's only going to make it harder to buy. There's no time to find a replacement, so clubs will be reluctant to sell, probably only doing so for big money. And big money isn't something we're going to offer if the maximum we were willing to bid for Fabregas was £30/35m or whichever.

Hopefully Nick Powell will adapt to CM and be amazing or something, he played for the reserves today so we should see him around the first team soon if that's where he's headed.
Reply 8851
Original post by Musester
OpoQQ.jpg

Not if it meant departing with Rooney or 40mil, Kagawa is a great player when played at AM.
Original post by jam277
They don't really need them tbh, and it's not like Mata is a ridiculous level above kags, add to that Ozil is great for 70mins and is subbed off as he can't finish a game

One of the reasons why Isco was signed by Real, plus Ozil never helps out defensively and was very inconsistent last year.
Original post by Over2you
Sorry, I can't buy this. He's had since the beginning of July. He wasted a good 3/4 weeks on a player that was never coming (Fabregas). Yes, maybe his agent may have given us hope, but he really should have kept his options open. Our back-room staff is big enough for that. There were/are PLENTY of quality midfield players out there (yes, maybe not world class), but some who would get into our first team.

Exactly how I feel, Woodward and Moyes seem to be Glazers puppets, all that bull**** about how we have a unlimited budget, and we end up with again no midfielder signing and no real actual attempt. When Spurs, Liverpool & Chelsea are wiling to pay £32mil for Wilian and City spend £30mil on Fernandinho, we max our bid of £30mil for Fabregas.
Original post by xDave-

Hopefully Nick Powell will adapt to CM and be amazing or something, he played for the reserves today so we should see him around the first team soon if that's where he's headed.

It's being rumoured he might be sent out on loan which is a possibility - don't think he appeared much or at all during the pre-season. I've not seen enough of him, no fault of his own but he deserves a sustained chance. Probably will be sent out on loan to Wigan but would prefer a PL club.

Original post by qasidb
Moyes probably won't talk about it. Just like with everyone, it's embarrassing to explain a stupid action you've committed, in this case, the confusingly low and mistimed Baines and Fellaini bid.

I don't think he did talk about it. Press lady probably enforced a gag on it to avoid Moyes' embarrassment of the ludicrousy of the bids and to calm the situation down.

Of course, we need signings, no doubt. But on the other hand, I don't want us to panic and spend money unnecessarily. Not ideal but we may have to experience another year of midfield hurt.

Interesting Mike Phelan talked of how the Everton bids were "cheeky" and alluding to the inexperience of Woodward - how he was more commerically driven rather than tying up deals so that's a valid point. He needs to realise the transfer aren't business deals, completely different. I wonder what sort of structure Gill has left behind - which I assume there will be capable people for Ed but depends whether he's listening to them or taking on board advice.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8853
Original post by Aky786UK
It's being rumoured he might be sent out on loan which is a possibility - don't think he appeared much or at all during the pre-season. I've not seen enough of him, no fault of his own but he deserves a sustained chance. Probably will be sent out on loan to Wigan but would prefer a PL club.

He just got back from surgery, I think. He should've been sent out on loan last year, even if it was back to Crewe. Just sat in the reserves all year, such a waste. I wouldn't mind him going out on loan now, as I suspect we'll see Giggs and Jones starting over him if our first choice mids are unavailable.
Original post by jam277
As far as I'm concerned in terms of full on youth products you've been poor since the year 2000 with youth products through and through. Bar cleverley(who's not all that anyway) and fletcher maybe there's not a single player you integrated straight up into the team. Liverpool and southampton are the only teams in the league that has been doing it properly, consistently and to a high standard.

Liverpool??? :laugh: You've got to be kidding me, who have they brought in since Gerrard that's had a proper run in the team and/or been any good? Martin Kelly and Andre Wisdom have been bit part players but that's about it.

You missed out Welbeck and Evans for starters, who've been around the first team for a while now. Then the likes of Shawcross and Pogba who've been successes elsewhere. Even the likes of Jonathon Spector, Kieran Richardson and Frazier Campbell have established themselves in the Premier League more than anyone Liverpool has produced post 2000.
Original post by sr90
Liverpool??? :laugh: You've got to be kidding me, who have they brought in since Gerrard that's had a proper run in the team and/or been any good? Martin Kelly and Andre Wisdom have been bit part players but that's about it.

You missed out Welbeck and Evans for starters, who've been around the first team for a while now. Then the likes of Shawcross and Pogba who've been successes elsewhere. Even the likes of Jonathon Spector, Kieran Richardson and Frazier Campbell have established themselves in the Premier League more than anyone Liverpool has produced post 2000.

Coming to think of it, the general quality of youth players produced in here has been poor, I forgot about welbeck/evans so I'll take that back but I still think liverpool produce quality youth players, probably because I compared you guys to the united of the 90s so was a bit warped.

Sterling as well. Pogba doesn't count, that's no different from getting fabio/rafael or arsenal getting fabregas. Again Richardson was at west ham before united. I didn't realise about welbeck and evans, although I wouldn't really say welbeck got into the team yet anyway well as a starter last season(well near the end of the season yes but before he was like 3rd choice) . I forgot about evans tbf.

With liverpool wisdom is 18/19 and kelly was a starter under dalglish but he was injured a lot of the time while sterling pretty much was a starter till they got coutinho.
Original post by jam277
Sterling as well. Pogba doesn't count, that's no different from getting fabio/rafael or arsenal getting fabregas

Sterling was pinched from QPR. No different from any of those examples you gave.
Reply 8857
Original post by Sami'
I think if we do well on Monday night then we should be fine for the season with out current squad, but i can see some panic buys being made if we do badly.

Chelsea beat us 3 times last season, we have not strengthened and they have ...not to mention that they had and have better players than us last season and this season with great squad depth. My only hope is they were not very good against Villa and their weak striking options. otherwise we will be outclassed in midfield and lose the game.
Reply 8858
Original post by Nickini
How do you know that? Mind sharing what's going to happen for the next couple of seasons seeing as you've apparently got a crystal ball... :rolleyes:

How on earth can you say at this stage neither have broken into the first team? We've only played two games ffs, of which De Bruyne started one and Lukaku came on as a sub in both. De Bruyne created the second highest number of clear cut chances in the Bundesliga last season and Lukaku scored 17 goals at WBA, both are clearly good enough to challenge for a starting spot and they will.

Lukaku and Essien coming back of loan and bringing in Van Ginkel helps with striker/CM respectively, but I agree a striker and a DM are two positions we do still need to improve at.

Yeah it is retarded to go for Willian, I think the majority of Chelsea fans would agree with you, but it's possible there's a good reason for it which we don't know about. Or far more likely, it's complete BS made up by Willian's agent/Anzhi. And mate, you've been interchanging 'young players' and 'youth players' to suit your point along with several other completely bizarre statements (a 21-year old footballer isn't young?) and apparently have the ability to see the future, so about you being right...

The other guy came out with more bizarre statements like that moses could play ahead of the defense.

Maybe Hazard will become better my point was he wasnt youth and was already a very good player its not the same a bringing through someone like lucas piazon or McEachren for example. Maybe i got twisted in the argument but that was my point and Chelsea have yet to bring through any youth but we'll see this season with De Bruyne Lukaku and Van Ginkel. I meant that they arent established cos theres only been 2 games ie you cant say you're established after 2 games cos thats the point the other guy was making.
Original post by cost
Chelsea beat us 3 times last season, we have not strengthened and they have ...not to mention that they had and have better players than us last season and this season with great squad depth. My only hope is they were not very good against Villa and their weak striking options. otherwise we will be outclassed in midfield and lose the game.

yes were ****ed, not like we finished 14 points clear of Chelsea in the league or anything.

not like we have lots of young players in the squad who will have improved either.

:rolleyes:

Latest