The Student Room Group

Any advantage of doing 4 A2s?

I just wanted to know if there is any advantage/expectation of doing 4 A2s to get into Oxford? Both my third and potential fourth will be unrelated to my degree and I was planning on dropping one but as I've got 4 As the parents have told me to at least think about carrying them all on as they think it will be some kind of advantage.

I also got an A in General Studies and wondered if it would be worth carrying that on; at my school they don't provide lessons for it, you just sit the exams in the summer so it wouldn't take up much time when I could be working at all.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by TheOncomingStorm
I just wanted to know if there is any advantage/expectation of doing 4 A2s to get into Oxford? Both my third and potential fourth will be unrelated to my degree and I was planning on dropping one but as I've got 4 As the parents have told me to at least think about carrying them all on as they think it will be some kind of advantage.

I also got an A in General Studies and wondered if it would be worth carrying that on; at my school they don't provide lessons for it, you just sit the exams in the summer so it wouldn't take up much time when I could be working at all.

Thanks in advance!

There could be a slight advantage, if your fourth didn't rob you of the time needed to excel in the three others, but General Studies isn't respected as an academic course.The time you save could be very worth while in terms of allowing you time to work harder with the main subjects.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
4 a's is good just don't expect gs to carry you into oxford. I wouldn't drop one or the other personally. Having a varied interest is good. Is gs your fourth or fifth as? If it is your fifth I would drop it unless your a tremendously dedicated hard worker. I don't believe general studies means much to universities though it does look good to have four a levels. Basically general studies won't improve your chances of getting into oxford. What is the other subject your thinking of dropping? Because gs won't get you into oxford I wouldn't drop the other subject-definitely-unless you are thinking of doing five a2's in which case if you were to drop one or the other it would be gs for me that I would drop. Although thinking about it if your doing three related subjects and were wondering about a fourth gs might be a good choice because it is easier (probably) and takes your mind off academia somewhat whilst still keeping the grey matter occupied with something to do.
I'm applying for a maths degree, with my 3 definite A2 subjects being Maths, Further Maths and English Literature. Just wondering whether to carry on with Ancient History, especially as the entry requirements are A*A*A so I'll need to focus especially hard on Further Maths to get my second A* and an extra A2 might jeopardize that. I've been under the impression that there is little point in taking 4 A2s as it is only your first three that count but it might be different for Oxford. I also have the option of doing an EPQ which I would probably do in place of the fourth A2.
Reply 4
Watch this.

[video="youtube;DTLkoQnkU3o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTLkoQnkU3o[/video]

4 mins in if you don't want to watch it all.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm applying for a maths degree, with my 3 definite A2 subjects being Maths, Further Maths and English Literature. Just wondering whether to carry on with Ancient History, especially as the entry requirements are A*A*A so I'll need to focus especially hard on Further Maths to get my second A* and an extra A2 might jeopardize that. I've been under the impression that there is little point in taking 4 A2s as it is only your first three that count but it might be different for Oxford. I also have the option of doing an EPQ which I would probably do in place of the fourth A2.

I had almost the opposite situation - applied for History, while studying History, English Lit, Sociology and Physics (and General Studies, but that might as well not have existed for all the good it does). I got on fine with 4 A2s, sure I had fewer 'free periods' than everyone else but none of my subjects nor my free time really suffered and I ended up with A*A*AA. I found it beneficial and comforting to have the 'safety net', and also now I have the joy of surprising people who don't think a historian will know anything about physics! :wink: It's not going to affect your application in any way if you don't have a fourth A2 - you're right that only three count - but I found it helped me relax knowing that one of my subjects was 'unessential', as such, and I didn't need a perfect score. So it's up to you, whether you think the benefits outweigh the risks, because I can't say how you personally will feel about it.
Original post by Economi
Watch this.

Thank you!
Original post by Incarnadine91
I had almost the opposite situation - applied for History, while studying History, English Lit, Sociology and Physics (and General Studies, but that might as well not have existed for all the good it does). I got on fine with 4 A2s, sure I had fewer 'free periods' than everyone else but none of my subjects nor my free time really suffered and I ended up with A*A*AA. I found it beneficial and comforting to have the 'safety net', and also now I have the joy of surprising people who don't think a historian will know anything about physics! :wink: It's not going to affect your application in any way if you don't have a fourth A2 - you're right that only three count - but I found it helped me relax knowing that one of my subjects was 'unessential', as such, and I didn't need a perfect score. So it's up to you, whether you think the benefits outweigh the risks, because I can't say how you personally will feel about it.

Okay, thanks for the advice, you've helped to put it into perspective a bit!
Okay, thanks for the advice, you've helped to put it into perspective a bit!

No problem!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending