University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Current UCL students' chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2680
Original post by Aleksandria
Hey everyone,

In desperate need of any advise i can get.

I just received a F(35%) on my resit in my last elective class of my Masters programme.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do so not to waste the rest of my studies as I have a 64% average on my remaining 7 modules and was about to hand in my dissertation in two weeks...

If anyone knows, are the credits taken only awarded when the degree is completed? Would it be possible to use them towards something else either within the college or a transfer? Is there even a point of handing in my dissertation?

I appreciate any help you can give me, thank you.

my flatmate forgot to go to one of his exams in the final year of his undergraduate degree. he had, i think, like a 80% average otherwise. so it wasn't that he failed his exam, but that he didn't complete the module, which is different.
so anyway he had to wait about a month and a half to find out if the board of examiners would allow him to have his degree anyway with one incomplete module, seeing as how he has this average (and the exam in question would not have affected his overall average even if he had got 41% in that exam, if you see what I mean).
so the examiners let him have his first class degree after their deliberations.

so, you can see the differences, but you can see the similarities.

hope it helps a bit!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2681
Anybody know when registration opens? Or has it opened aready? Just can't find a way to do it on Portico...
guys, how do you pay library fines?
Reply 2683
Original post by htc one s
guys, how do you pay library fines?

Go to any library service desk and pay.
Reply 2684
Year-Abroad-wise: Is it possible to change subjects smoothly once you arrive at the university abroad? I mean, obviously, if there are clashes or the subjects are not open finally, but I'd like to know whether the Year Abroad Team or someone at SELCS will need a lot of explanation for this. In my case, the timetables and exams have only been released recently, so that will mean a lot of changes for me, 'twouldseem.
Reply 2685
Original post by JoannaMilano
You can keep resubmitting learning agreements almost the whole time you're there. Most foreign unis are rubbish at organisation so no one has the same Learning Agreement at the end of year as they started with. The only hassle is keep getting it signed by the host uni. I think I had about six different learning agreements over the year :dunno:

You don't even need to bother submitting the learning agreements while you're there. Most people didn't send them until they sent their exam results in August.

That sounds reassuring, thanks!

My YA university doesn't have an online system that would conveniently integrate timetables, exams and syllabi. That meant I had to dig through the whole website and open an exhaustive number of tabs just to avoid clashes.
Hey! First post here.
I'm currently going into my second year having transferred to neuroscience from biomed and was wondering if you guys could answer some questions.

What is the workload like in year 2? (someone who studies Neuroscience would be helpful here, the year tutor told me it's pretty intense)

Is a part-time job do-abe in year 2 and where would you suggest applying? (I've never had a job, if that makes a difference)

Finally, are there any societies you recommend? I was somewhat of a recluse last year and subsequently made very few friends, spent most of my time on my own haha. Want to try get more involved this year though.

Thanks
Reply 2687
Original post by Jay_Kay_72
Hey! First post here.
I'm currently going into my second year having transferred to neuroscience from biomed and was wondering if you guys could answer some questions.

What is the workload like in year 2? (someone who studies Neuroscience would be helpful here, the year tutor told me it's pretty intense)

Is a part-time job do-abe in year 2 and where would you suggest applying? (I've never had a job, if that makes a difference)

Finally, are there any societies you recommend? I was somewhat of a recluse last year and subsequently made very few friends, spent most of my time on my own haha. Want to try get more involved this year though.

Thanks

I can't comment on the first two queries as I don'd study neuroscience (although if your tutor said the workload's intense, then taking on even a part-time job would be risky), but with regards to societies, it really depends on your preferences. I think the best bet is to visit Freshers' Fayre, have look around and decide later on.
hey there!

swap for any hall nearer to campus for ifor evans hall?

i've just got my accommodation at Ifor Evans Hall and would really love it if someone would want to swap with me for any Hall/House nearer to the main campus as being an international student studying abroad for the first time, I think I would feel more comfortable living somewhere which is nearer to my building!
Original post by Christine1188
hey there!

swap for any hall nearer to campus for ifor evans hall?

i've just got my accommodation at Ifor Evans Hall and would really love it if someone would want to swap with me for any Hall/House nearer to the main campus as being an international student studying abroad for the first time, I think I would feel more comfortable living somewhere which is nearer to my building!

Usual fresher gripe. Seriously, Ifor is but a bus ride away and last time I checked had a bar. You're also in Camden and have not only a big supermarket on your doorstep but a major proportion of London's decent nightlife.

I'd love to live right next to work but finances don't permit.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2690
Hey !

I'm gonna be an affiliate in history and SELCS this year and I'm wondering how UCL is grading ? I've understood the principle, but how do teachers grade their students ? Are they hard ?
And considering that you need less than 40% to fail, does that mean that 40% = 10/20 ?
Original post by CT714
Hey !

I'm gonna be an affiliate in history and SELCS this year and I'm wondering how UCL is grading ? I've understood the principle, but how do teachers grade their students ? Are they hard ?
And considering that you need less than 40% to fail, does that mean that 40% = 10/20 ?

Grading is arbitrary really, if you've been given 40 in an essay it's pretty terrible and if you've been given 60 it's pretty good. You're almost never given lower than 40 as it's hassle to make students resit. Unless it's illegible you'll get 40 minimum.
Can I join this thread now I am a confirmed student for next year? Still feel like an applicant :lol:
Do UCL send a reading list to students? If so, when do they do this?
Original post by ily_em
Anybody know when registration opens? Or has it opened aready? Just can't find a way to do it on Portico...

I thought I was the only one thinking of this ...
Reply 2696

'an appeal was launched claiming that the student lifestyle meant rooms would only be used for sleeping, so they didn’t need the full legal quota of daylight' LOL though partially true :smile:
Original post by AspiringGenius
Can I join this thread now I am a confirmed student for next year? Still feel like an applicant :lol:

Welcome, new brother.:biggrin:
Original post by Ade9000
Welcome, new brother.:biggrin:

:woo: What are you studying?
Original post by AspiringGenius
:woo: What are you studying?

Chemical Engineering. Going to 3rd year September. :smile:

You?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending