The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

BSc Natural Sciences 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hi everyone, if you're on Facebook I've created a group for 'BSC Natural Sciences -Oct 2013' https://www.facebook.com/groups/454858124621097/
I figured we could all do with a place to keep in touch and ask/give advice where needed

Hope to see you there!

Lee
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 81
Original post by kjglen24
PM me your email address and ill send them across

I'll send the S141 maths book too as it will help you with the maths in S104

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey any chance I could have a copy of these too please if I send you my email address? :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by lee1710
Hi everyone, if you're on Facebook I've created a group for 'BSC Natural Sciences -Oct 2013' https://www.facebook.com/groups/454858124621097/
I figured we could all do with a place to keep in touch and ask/give advice where needed

Hope to see you there!

Lee

Done :smile:
Original post by lee1710

Hope to see you there!

Lee

Thanks for this :smile:

I don't really use fb but I'll join as a lot of other students recommend it to help each other out.
Hullo there from the Strange Country of Poland :smile:

I'm doing the Biology Pathway. I'm doing OU work in order to get back to education and apply for a brick uni in UK.

I'm badly nervous about essay writing as I'm not used to it. I started a separate topic on it before I found this thread, but maybe some Non-NatSci Students will be interested as well. :afraid:

I hate Facebook and I hardly ever log in there but I will make an exception.
Reply 85
I got an email from uni today saying there are 5 workshop events coming up in Scotland in Sept for new students to get advice and tips on studying etc and also to meet new students.

Is anyone on here that is from Scotland planning on going? I'm going to the Glasgow one on 21st Sept.

Hope to see some of you there :smile:
Reply 86
Have you all received your materials now? :smile:
Original post by Yasmin25
Have you all received your materials now? :smile:

i received mine yesterday :smile:
Hi everyone

I am over halfway through my Natural Science (biochem) degree now so just wanted to give you some pointers

You now have your books so I recommend the following:

1. Study via khan academy or anything mathematical site Significant figures, scientific notation and logarithms -- these are used frequently but not explained well on how to do them in the books

2. Read and take notes of book 1 before the course officially starts, when the site opens on 5th oct your TMA01 will be released and to do that in the first week will put you in good stance (book 4 and 5 are quite heavy, and some people need more time on them) so it's good to be ahead

3. When reading it may seem some things are not explained very well, it's just they expand on the subject in later books so don't google things as it gets confusing as hell

4. Book 1 concentrate and really understand positive and negative feedback it comes ALOT

Good luck and if you need anything or any questions let me know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Original post by darkmaterials
i received mine yesterday :smile:

Aww lucky you! I still don't have mine yet :/

I just checked the tracker site and it said that it was meant to be delivered at 7pm last night and they chapped my door, no one answered and they left a collection note. They bloody well didn't!! I was in my bed all day and my room is right next to the front door so I would have heard it no bother. I also asked my next door neighbour if anyone came to their door or got a note, they didn't either. I wrote an email to the tracking company and also to the uni.

Really gutted because I really wanted to start studying, as weird as it sounds! :tongue:

Oh also what pathway have you chosen? Been meaning to ask you since you added me a few weeks ago but I am forgetful lol
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kjglen24
Hi everyone

I am over halfway through my Natural Science (biochem) degree now so just wanted to give you some pointers

You now have your books so I recommend the following:

1. Study via khan academy or anything mathematical site Significant figures, scientific notation and logarithms -- these are used frequently but not explained well on how to do them in the books

2. Read and take notes of book 1 before the course officially starts, when the site opens on 5th oct your TMA01 will be released and to do that in the first week will put you in good stance (book 4 and 5 are quite heavy, and some people need more time on them) so it's good to be ahead

3. When reading it may seem some things are not explained very well, it's just they expand on the subject in later books so don't google things as it gets confusing as hell

4. Book 1 concentrate and really understand positive and negative feedback it comes ALOT

Good luck and if you need anything or any questions let me know

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for this!

I've been on khan academy a few times and it's helped me out a lot with things I didn't understand as I got the chemistry book a while ago to be prepared.
Original post by louise6427
Thank you so much for this!

I've been on khan academy a few times and it's helped me out a lot with things I didn't understand as I got the chemistry book a while ago to be prepared.

That's good

Chemistry is the best subject ;-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Yay my stuff just arrived :biggrin:
Original post by Yasmin25
Aww lucky you! I still don't have mine yet :/

I just checked the tracker site and it said that it was meant to be delivered at 7pm last night and they chapped my door, no one answered and they left a collection note. They bloody well didn't!! I was in my bed all day and my room is right next to the front door so I would have heard it no bother. I also asked my next door neighbour if anyone came to their door or got a note, they didn't either. I wrote an email to the tracking company and also to the uni.

Really gutted because I really wanted to start studying, as weird as it sounds! :tongue:

Oh also what pathway have you chosen? Been meaning to ask you since you added me a few weeks ago but I am forgetful lol

i know how you feel about wanting to start studying right away, i've already started reading through the first book and highlighting and taking notes haha
i've chose the biology pathway :smile: how about you?
Reply 94
Original post by darkmaterials
i know how you feel about wanting to start studying right away, i've already started reading through the first book and highlighting and taking notes haha
i've chose the biology pathway :smile: how about you?

I'm about 80 pages in of the first book. Most of it seems easy enough so far but I had that section in chpater 3 about uncertainities, maths etc. Thought that chapter was never gonna end :tongue:

I've chosen the biology pathwayt too :smile: I may change for planetary science or chemistry through time but I'm just taking it one book at a time and taking it from there haha
Reply 95
Hi everyone I am very much a newbie here as I haven't yet registered on the natural sciences degree. I am really keen to get started however I must sadly wait until next year when my little boy starts school (more study time :-) ) that being said I thought I would put my 'inbetween' time to good use and do a bit of pre study in maths and physics. Could any of you kind people help me out with study material and or old module PDFs etc that I can make a start on.

Ps I am looking to follow the planetary science and astronomy route.

Thank you so much and it's nice to meet you all
Reply 96
Anyone heree from Scotland and has just started studying BSc natural sciences? I have just started and would be nice to see if anyone around my area is also studying this degree too! I am near Glasgow :smile:
Original post by Neil A
Hi everyone I am very much a newbie here as I haven't yet registered on the natural sciences degree. I am really keen to get started however I must sadly wait until next year when my little boy starts school (more study time :-) ) that being said I thought I would put my 'inbetween' time to good use and do a bit of pre study in maths and physics. Could any of you kind people help me out with study material and or old module PDFs etc that I can make a start on.

Ps I am looking to follow the planetary science and astronomy route.

Thank you so much and it's nice to meet you all

There's an 'Are you ready for S104?' quiz and a 'maths skills ebook' pdf on the Faculty of Science website.

You could also buy some of the S104 books before to prepare. I got the chemistry and life books before as there the subjects I'm least into.
Reply 98
Original post by louise6427
There's an 'Are you ready for S104?' quiz and a 'maths skills ebook' pdf on the Faculty of Science website.<br />
<br />
You could also buy some of the S104 books before to prepare. I got the chemistry and life books before as there the subjects I'm least into.
<br />
<br />

Hi there thanks for the reply. I have taken the quiz and did distinctly average I have to say so definitely need.a.brush up before starting. Is there anywhere I can get a list of the books for s104? I may get a few if possible and like you say start reading a few of my less favourable subjects. Thanks again
Original post by Neil A
<br />
<br />

Hi there thanks for the reply. I have taken the quiz and did distinctly average I have to say so definitely need.a.brush up before starting. Is there anywhere I can get a list of the books for s104? I may get a few if possible and like you say start reading a few of my less favourable subjects. Thanks again

The 8 books for S104 are in order Global warming, Earth and space, Energy and light, The right chemistry, Life, Exploring earth's history, Quarks to quasars and Life in the universe.

Just search the names on amazon or you could try ebay.

Quick Reply

Latest