The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Officially enrolled at college as of this morning.
This year it WILL be "third time lucky" pour moi.
No more fast-track nonsense...Tootoo will just have to take his time :')
Original post by thatitootoo
Officially enrolled at college as of this morning.
This year it WILL be "third time lucky" pour moi.
No more fast-track nonsense...Tootoo will just have to take his time :')
Okay. What did you finally choose?

Well...
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Okay. What did you finally choose?

Well...

Well my relevant option is GCSE German!!:tongue:
I know that you thought I was capable of doing AS, if I properly introduced the concept of self-study into my life...:tongue: Aber es lohnt sich nicht, zu immediately throw myself in the deep end, WHEN I CAN TAKE MEE DANDY ZEIT, JA DOCH!!!? :wink: :bigsmile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by thatitootoo
Well my relevant option is GCSE German!!:tongue:
I know that you thought I was capable of doing AS, if I properly introduced the concept of self-study into my life...:tongue: Aber es lohnt sich nicht, zu immediately throw myself in the deep end, WHEN I CAN TAKE MEE DANDY ZEIT, JA DOCH!!!? :wink: :bigsmile:
What else?:shakecane:
Is this the one that doesn't offer a single :eek: modern language A-level?

Yep :holmes: And only French at GCSE now.
Original post by MangoFreak
Yep :holmes: And only French at GCSE now.
Hmm...:holmes:

I can understand D's. It's easy to just miss out on a C, especially as you need a decent amount of input from a good teacher/French-speaker for the speaking exams. I've heard that Foundation listening exams can be really difficult.

But lots of E's? That's not just the teacher's fault- that's got to be a class of children who either don't value languages at all or have been convinced by their families that they're rubbish at languages and there's no point trying.:frown:

*wonders if she would have got an E, if German had been available when she was school-age. She suspects that might have indeed have been the result*

Without trying to make you identify yourself, could you tell me how popular A-level Maths is at the school? I think there's a lot of parallels in English cultural attitudes to maths and languages, and it's always interesting to see if they're rearing their ugly heads together or not.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hmm...:holmes:

I can understand D's. It's easy to just miss out on a C, especially as you need a decent amount of input from a good teacher/French-speaker for the speaking exams. I've heard that Foundation listening exams can be really difficult.

But lots of E's? That's not just the teacher's fault- that's got to be a class of children who either don't value languages at all or have been convinced by their families that they're rubbish at languages and there's no point trying.:frown:

*wonders if she would have got an E, if German had been available when she was school-age. She suspects that might have indeed have been the result*

Without trying to make you identify yourself, could you tell me how popular A-level Maths is at the school? I think there's a lot of parallels in English cultural attitudes to maths and languages, and it's always interesting to see if they're rearing their ugly heads together or not.

Of my personal friends, actually, I have a friend who likes languages (does German to a reasonably good standard) but hates maths, but a friend who thinks his German is worthless, and that he's not great at it, but is taking A Level Maths (although I'm not sure it's a result of a passion for it; it's more of a pragmatism for him) :mmm: Maths in general seemed quite popular at the induction conference, I think, although it certainly wasn't the most popular.
Original post by MangoFreak
Of my personal friends, actually, I have a friend who likes languages (does German to a reasonably good standard) but hates maths, but a friend who thinks his German is worthless, and that he's not great at it, but is taking A Level Maths (although I'm not sure it's a result of a passion for it; it's more of a pragmatism for him) :mmm: Maths in general seemed quite popular at the induction conference, I think, although it certainly wasn't the most popular.

Hmm, interesting...

Apropos Mathematik, mein neues Buch von C1 und C2 ist heute gekommen!
I'm just working my way through Living Spanish and I've come across this phrase. The context of the article is men drinking beer when they see a fly has landed in it. The sentence says "El francés ve tambíen la mosca que está nadando en la cerveza. Está furioso, jura, da gritos..."

I understand all of it apart from the bit at the end in bold. Does 'Jurar' mean 'to swear'? I think grito is 'shout/scream', so would an accurate translation be "He is furious, swears and shouts."? Literally..'gives shouts'?
Reply 6969
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
I'm just working my way through Living Spanish and I've come across this phrase. The context of the article is men drinking beer when they see a fly has landed in it. The sentence says "El francés ve tambíen la mosca que está nadando en la cerveza. Está furioso, jura, da gritos..."

I understand all of it apart from the bit at the end in bold. Does 'Jurar' mean 'to swear'? I think grito is 'shout/scream', so would an accurate translation be "He is furious, swears and shouts."? Literally..'gives shouts'?

Yes, yes, and yes, although it sounds a bit unnatural in English, but it conveys the intended meaning.
Original post by AquisM
Yes, yes, and yes, although it sounds a bit unnatural in English, but it conveys the intended meaning.

I thought so, ¡gracias! I knew you would reply first Aqui. :wink:
Reply 6971
I thought so, ¡gracias! I knew you would reply first Aqui. :wink:

Hehe Is it because I'm normally most active on TSR now, or because I have no life and simply sit by the computer refreshing every page I've got open? :biggrin: (Guess which one is true :tongue:)
Original post by AquisM
Hehe Is it because I'm normally most active on TSR now, or because I have no life and simply sit by the computer refreshing every page I've got open? :biggrin: (Guess which one is true :tongue:)

I'll go with the first option seeing as I don't know what sort of person you are. (Everyone is addicted to TSR to some degree, though) :tongue:
Reply 6973
I'll go with the first option seeing as I don't know what sort of person you are. (Everyone is addicted to TSR to some degree, though) :tongue:

Hehe I was hoping you'd say that. (phew! so worried that someone would find out about my constant need to refresh my TSR app :ninja:)
Original post by AquisM
Hehe I was hoping you'd say that. (phew! so worried that someone would find out about my constant need to refresh my TSR app :ninja:)

Who says I don't? :ninja: F5 F5 F5 F5.

:tongue:

Ich habe *a form of English* gefunden, das ich nicht verstehe!
Reply 6976

HAHA :biggrin:
Ich habe *a form of English* gefunden, das ich nicht verstehe!

Waaaaaaas? F5?
Waaaaaaas? F5?
Nein, nicht hier. Ein anderes Thema auf dieser Webseite!
Nein, nicht hier. Ein anderes Thema auf dieser Webseite!

Wirklich? Kannst du mit mir teilen? :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending