The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8860
I think people are forgetting how good our squad is, we won the title last year with ease. Our squad is good enough to beat any team in the league if we set up in the right way and have the right mentality. Who would have thought that by xmas of last year we would have gotten away wins at both city and chelsea?

However, last year, for me, the main reason we won the title was because we didnt get complacent against smaller sides. If we win all the games where we go into it as favourites, then we have nothing to worry about. The games against city and chelsea appear to mean a lot but they will only be crucial if we slip against mid table teams. Chelsea came very close to dropping points against villa the other night and i would expect them to drop points throughout the year. If we cant beat them in a head to head (which i dont personally feel) then we just have to make sure we slip up less than they do. We lost to city twice in 2011/2012 but got the same amount of points because we were better against everyone else.

Yes beating those around you helps, but beating everyone else is just as important and thats where I think united have always been the best at, doing everything possible to get maximum points from each game.
Reply 8861
Original post by SciFiRory
yes were ****ed, not like we finished 14 points clear of Chelsea in the league or anything.

not like we have lots of young players in the squad who will have improved either.

:rolleyes:

I am just concerned about the big teams, the key to winning the season last time was the 1st time league wins against City and Chelsea..anyway has anyone seen wilshere comments?? if Wenger doesn't renew his contract due to arsenal fans rumblings wilshere might be up for grabs..were the best place for him.
Original post by cost
I am just concerned about the big teams, the key to winning the season last time was the 1st time league wins against City and Chelsea..anyway has anyone seen wilshere comments?? if Wenger doesn't renew his contract due to arsenal fans rumblings wilshere might be up for grabs..were the best place for him.

Wenger is under huge pressure at the moment, all Wilshere is doing with that statement is a. backing his manager and b. hoping to shut the dissenting fans up. Makes a lot of sense and I don't believe he's actually looking to leave Arsenal.

Also with the way the media are it wouldn't suprise me if what he actually said has been twisted a bit.
Very solid response from Moyes regarding the Everton bids for Fellaini and Baines. He struck the right balance, and throwing in some unsettling words by saying he did right by the player when in truth, in the Lescott saga, he - along with Kenwright - did what they could get for him and got a very good deal. Not helped in the Fellaini chase by not going for him prior to his clause expiring.
Original post by sr90
Liverpool??? :laugh: You've got to be kidding me, who have they brought in since Gerrard that's had a proper run in the team and/or been any good? Martin Kelly and Andre Wisdom have been bit part players but that's about it.

You missed out Welbeck and Evans for starters, who've been around the first team for a while now. Then the likes of Shawcross and Pogba who've been successes elsewhere. Even the likes of Jonathon Spector, Kieran Richardson and Frazier Campbell have established themselves in the Premier League more than anyone Liverpool has produced post 2000.

The only names that would stand out to me would be Warnock, Insua and Kelly. Tbh, nearly every PL club hasnt produced enough talent from their own Acadamies in the last decade or so. We seem to be producing a lot of talent at the moment though (Sterling, Suso, Morgan, Ibe, Sinclair, Coady, McLaughlin, Robinson and a few more I cba to name), same with you lot (heard good things about Januzaj, Henriquez and Powell) Chelsea buy any semi decent 16-18 year old, City dont need youth and Arsenal need a first team squad first.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8865
Original post by Brainiac
I think people are forgetting how good our squad is, we won the title last year with ease. Our squad is good enough to beat any team in the league if we set up in the right way and have the right mentality. Who would have thought that by xmas of last year we would have gotten away wins at both city and chelsea?

However, last year, for me, the main reason we won the title was because we didnt get complacent against smaller sides. If we win all the games where we go into it as favourites, then we have nothing to worry about. The games against city and chelsea appear to mean a lot but they will only be crucial if we slip against mid table teams. Chelsea came very close to dropping points against villa the other night and i would expect them to drop points throughout the year. If we cant beat them in a head to head (which i dont personally feel) then we just have to make sure we slip up less than they do. We lost to city twice in 2011/2012 but got the same amount of points because we were better against everyone else.

Yes beating those around you helps, but beating everyone else is just as important and thats where I think united have always been the best at, doing everything possible to get maximum points from each game.

Dude the champions of Germany (and Europe), Spain and Italy have spent big and brought some absolutely world class players. All we want is a midfielder signing because after Scholes has gone, we have 2 very injury prone midfielders, 1 unfortunately always injured midfielder, a 39yr old and Carrick. It is very likely that both Anderson and Cleverly could be injured at the same time this season, which could mean we overplay Carrick and we have no one to partner him with. We unfortunately have owners that will not part with any significant money even if it does mean the pay off could be huge. I hate how no one at United is even aiming for the Champions League anymore, whereas thats all what the champions of Spain, Germany and Italy are aiming for. A good deep lying playmaker and we could win the CL but its like we've conceded before the season has even started that the league is enough and thats it.
Original post by rohitbd
A good deep lying playmaker and we could win the CL but its like we've conceded before the season has even started that the league is enough and thats it.

Not really tbh, your squad is miles behind the likes of Barca, Madrid, Bayern etc. Dont mean that as a dig, but virtually none of your players would get into their squads, nevermind first teams.
Original post by CB91
Not really tbh, your squad is miles behind the likes of Barca, Madrid, Bayern etc. Dont mean that as a dig, but virtually none of your players would get into their squads, nevermind first teams.

That's a bit unfair, Barca aside united have pretty good strikers, also believe that vidic when fit is one of the best in the world, better than pique or whoever partners him imo, bar that though united are inferior in every other department. I don't think they'd win it with the BBM(don't think DLP is the problem as carrick is one already) but it would go a long way to them potentially winning it. Although I'd put them as joint 4th favs with the second tier teams(Chelsea, city, dortmund, juve) around or slightly behind them.
Original post by CB91

We could use Vidic and Ferdinand haha! :tongue:
Original post by jam277
That's a bit unfair, Barca aside united have pretty good strikers, also believe that vidic when fit is one of the best in the world, better than pique or whoever partners him imo, bar that though united are inferior in every other department. I don't think they'd win it with the BBM(don't think DLP is the problem as carrick is one already) but it would go a long way to them potentially winning it. Although I'd put them as joint 4th favs with the second tier teams(Chelsea, city, dortmund, juve) around or slightly behind them.

Van Persie would start for Madrid and Bayern, sure, as would an on form and injury free Vidic. But apart from that no one else really stands out tbh. Rooney would be fighting with Ozil/Isco/Messi/Iniesta/Kroos/Gotze, Carrick with Alonso/Modric/Busquets/Xavi/Schweinsteiger/Martinez. Aside from them United dont have any world class players.

Original post by Malevolent
We could use Vidic and Ferdinand haha! :tongue:

True, but everywhere else on the pitch (except GK)? No chance tbh.
You don't have to have the best team to win the CL, its a cup competition after all. Our chances would improve significantly with a decent midfielder to play alongside Carrick though, as we wouldn't be getting dominated in midfield. We'd still be some way off being considered favourites though.
Reply 8871
Original post by CB91
Van Persie would start for Madrid and Bayern, sure, as would an on form and injury free Vidic. But apart from that no one else really stands out tbh. Rooney would be fighting with Ozil/Isco/Messi/Iniesta/Kroos/Gotze, Carrick with Alonso/Modric/Busquets/Xavi/Schweinsteiger/Martinez. Aside from them United dont have any world class players.

It's not about individuals its about a good balanced team IMO, last year we could've had this conversation with BVB and Bayern players vs Real and Barca players and majority of the players would've been chosen from the spanish sides, I don't think Barca will beat the best sides in europe unless their defence improves from last season as teams with a good attack will take advantage. Real and City have proved that having the best team on paper doesn't necessarily mean you are better. A good midfield and I'd say we'd stand a very good chance as we already have a good defence and attack, one of the reasons why I think Juve will do very well in CL this year is because they've improved on an area they needed to which is attack.
Original post by CB91

messi/iniesta in the same bracket as Rooney? Even on his best days, he's no where near. I think Rafael could get into the RM/FCB squad. Tbh, give it 2 seasons they'll be after him. De gea could be the barca goalie. And vanpersie would fit well in that rm spot up front. Midfield on the other hand, just a laughing stock tbh. Wow, I'm beginning to realise how serious this problem is

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by rohitbd
It's not about individuals its about a good balanced team IMO, last year we could've had this conversation with BVB and Bayern players vs Real and Barca players and majority of the players would've been chosen from the spanish sides, I don't think Barca will beat the best sides in europe unless their defence improves from last season as teams with a good attack will take advantage. Real and City have proved that having the best team on paper doesn't necessarily mean you are better. A good midfield and I'd say we'd stand a very good chance as we already have a good defence and attack, one of the reasons why I think Juve will do very well in CL this year is because they've improved on an area they needed to which is attack.

True, I think that was Ferguson's greatest strength, his teams always performed better than the individuals in it. Whether Moyes can continue that remains to be seen, but I wouldnt put you guys in that top bracket with Barca/Bayern/Real, as Jam said earlier you're probably in the same bracket as Juve, Dortmund etc atm.
Original post by Over2you
messi/iniesta in the same bracket as Rooney? Even on his best days, he's no where near. I think Rafael could get into the RM/FCB squad. Tbh, give it 2 seasons they'll be after him. De gea could be the barca goalie. And vanpersie would fit well in that rm spot up front. Midfield on the other hand, just a laughing stock tbh. Wow, I'm beginning to realise how serious this problem is

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I should have been clearer but what I meant is that Rooney would have to challenge Messi, Iniesta, Ozil etc and hence wouldnt get near their teams.

Maybe in a few years but id have Alves/Lahm over Rafael, he's definitely talented but I think Montoya and Carjaval are equally as talented, just earlier in their development.
Original post by NathanW18
I definitely don't want us to panic buy, but Moyes stepped into this job and said very early on that we needed a midfielder. It's a complete failure that one hasn't been brought in.

I've heard a rumor that a lot of players have loyalty bonuses written into their contracts which are payable on September 1. The transfer window closes later than usual on September 2 this year. No idea if it's true or not but given how greedy modern day players/agents are it really wouldn't surprise me if this was a factor holding up deals until deadline day. Jim White must be wetting himself with excitement...
Reply 8876
Original post by Aky786UK
Very solid response from Moyes regarding the Everton bids for Fellaini and Baines. He struck the right balance, and throwing in some unsettling words by saying he did right by the player when in truth, in the Lescott saga, he - along with Kenwright - did what they could get for him and got a very good deal. Not helped in the Fellaini chase by not going for him prior to his clause expiring.

Meh. Strong? It's just silly. We don't need Baines and could've got Fellaini ages ago. I just don't get it.
Reply 8877
Moyes is embarrassing himself over trying to sign these players.
Alves over Rafael? Alves is an absolute joke defensive wise, him and Alba are the main culprits of Barcelona's leaky defence against the top teams last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had a nightmare last night that Vidic was leaving. :tongue: On the plus side, it somehow reminded me to change my FF team. :biggrin:

Latest