The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blueray2
Some candidates can't do as well as they get bullied for doing well. Its terrible.

What do you mean by 'bullied'?

Original post by Pandora.
Very true. I know friends who haven't pushed themselves to achieve their true potential because they're afraid of the repercussions from other students. The staff don't give a flying **** and it needs to change.

Can I ask what kind of repercussions you're talking about? I don't think I've ever come across anybody who's been attacked emotionally or physically by peers just for doing well.
Original post by keromedic
There's also the problem of missing teachers, poor teaching and lack of facilities.
I'm always amazed at the differences in practical practice in different schools!

Yeah its annoying, tbh some of these misbehaving students should get separated from those that want to learn.
Original post by mynameisntbobk
What do you mean by 'bullied'?

Can I ask what kind of repercussions you're talking about? I don't think I've ever come across anybody who's been attacked emotionally or physically by peers just for doing well.

As in "your a neek" and victimised and excluded from all social activity, being the last one to be picked in anything, if your picked at all. Being branded as social no life etc. I've seen what it does to people and its awful.
Yeah its annoying, tbh some of these misbehaving students should get separated from those that want to learn.

As in "your a neek" and victimised and excluded from all social activity, being the last one to be picked in anything, if your picked at all. Being branded as social no life etc. I've seen what it does to people and its awful.

In fairness, I was excluded from all social activities (probably due to my poor Social skills (aspergers) instead of answering questions) and I spent all non college time in my apartment. I don't think the isolation affected my studied that much.
Reply 1423
They're made to feel crap and worthless for aspiring to go somewhere in life. Even among friends I feel looked down upon for wanting to do well as it's not the "done thing" so to speak.

There are physical attacks too, I can vouch for that. Not violence per se (although there have been incidents), but it's enough to make a lot of people afraid to go in to school every day.

I agree with everything blueray has said.

With all my life, I don't think I know anybody who's experienced any of that, and it does sound awful. I think in that case, the person should be reporting these bullies because its not fair that they should be victimised for wanting to do well. Unfortunately, there are those few in society who deem it acceptable to completely isolate individuals and its just not fair. I also think if worst comes to worst, they should maybe look into moving schools
They're made to feel crap and worthless for aspiring to go somewhere in life. Even among friends I feel looked down upon for wanting to do well as it's not the "done thing" so to speak.

There are physical attacks too, I can vouch for that. Not violence per se (although there have been incidents), but it's enough to make a lot of people afraid to go in to school every day.

With all my life, I don't think I know anybody who's experienced any of that, and it does sound awful. I think in that case, the person should be reporting these bullies because its not fair that they should be victimised for wanting to do well. Unfortunately, there are those few in society who deem it acceptable to completely isolate individuals and its just not fair. I also think if worst comes to worst, they should maybe look into moving schools

Exactly, you can just move school, esp if your's is the best from the worst. And reporting them with useless staff does nothing, kick the bullies out works, but state schools have to pay to do that and its disgusting.

See I never knew those kinds of things happen, and it honestly is a shame because it does just stop people from achieving.

I am actually a bit shocked, and I guess it doesn't help when teachers don't give a toss.

Exactly, you can just move school, esp if your's is the best from the worst. And reporting them with useless staff does nothing, kick the bullies out works, but state schools have to pay to do that and its disgusting.

Although I doubt it's not a simple process, it is better than sitting back and doing nothing I'd assume.
See I never knew those kinds of things happen, and it honestly is a shame because it does just stop people from achieving.

I am actually a bit shocked, and I guess it doesn't help when teachers don't give a toss.

Although I doubt it's not a simple process, it is better than sitting back and doing nothing I'd assume.

Trust me if its simple enough for a grammar school to kick out students who dont get 4 bs at A level then it should be very easy to kick out bullies in state schools.
At the risk of sounding extremely naive, I'm going to agree with bob, do people actually get bullied purely for being smart academically? I mean, sure there are going to be some cases, but is it really that common? :s-smilie: I did used to go to a state school for a short time before moving, and even in my current school, I've never actually seen anyone get bullied/ ostracised or whatever purely for doing well academically. I have seen people be ostracised/ excluded from social events because of some social awkwardness (I'm not saying that's any better) and people who get picked last for sports teams/ whatever because they're not that great at sports, and coincidentally enough, they were also very book-smart. But I'm quite surprised that people actually get bullied solely because they want to do well in school. :s-smilie: It is a shame though, no one should have to go through that.
Reply 1429
Original post by usycool1

If you'd like to make any changes, just quote me. :h:

I received all A's at AS, and I'm hopefully looking at:

Oxford/Imperial/Birmingham/Bristol/Manchester.

Edit: :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1430
Original post by Felix Felicis
At the risk of sounding extremely naive, I'm going to agree with bob, do people actually get bullied purely for being smart academically? I mean, sure there are going to be some cases, but is it really that common? :s-smilie: I did used to go to a state school for a short time before moving, and even in my current school, I've never actually seen anyone get bullied/ ostracised or whatever purely for doing well academically. I have seen people be ostracised/ excluded from social events because of some social awkwardness (I'm not saying that's any better) and people who get picked last for sports teams/ whatever because they're not that great at sports, and coincidentally enough, they were also very book-smart. But I'm quite surprised that people actually get bullied solely because they want to do well in school. :s-smilie: It is a shame though, no one should have to go through that.

I'm a jeenius and peeple luv me. :smile:

Serious response: I don't think people are expatriated or 'bullied' simply for being shrewd at a subject. I think people are bullied or reprimanded for either:

- Being a 'know-it-all' and attempting to blandish the teacher whenever possible -> the kid who complains that they achieved only 97%, when everyone else achieves something like 50-60%.
- Having mannerisms which are deemed as eccentric (Autism/Bipolar/Schizophrenia/Split personality)
- Being exceptionally arrogant (this sort of ties in with the 'know it all' propensity.

People are not bullied solely for academic brilliance. They are bullied because most people demonstrate the three characteristics above who do well academically.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zakee
I'm a jeenius and peeple luv me. :smile:

ur speshul baby xoxo

Edit: I agree with that^ PRSOM.
(edited 10 years ago)

I had to deal with this for several years during high school as people at my school don't understand what its like to want to do well in life, I learnt to ignore it all after the first year though so it wasn't too bad and in my later years I joined a peer support group to prevent other students having to go through what I had to during high school.
Reply 1433
ur speshul baby xoxo

Edit: I agree with that^ PRSOM.

I know you would baby g. xoxo :cool:
Trust me if its simple enough for a grammar school to kick out students who dont get 4 bs at A level then it should be very easy to kick out bullies in state schools.

I go to a grammar school, and they kick out people who get below DDEE, although a lot of people getting Us this year have been allowed to stay on, so I guess our situations are very different.

I guess it could be a problem if the teachers aren't aware of the bullying, but if they are, and they're doing nothing about it, teachers should be reported as well.

I honestly think it may be due to the environment we've been exposed to. I honestly only ever saw things like that in TV shows, so I didn't know that people actually go through that stuff. Its just such a shame, and I just don't understand what they gain from doing it.
Original post by MathsNerd1
I had to deal with this for several years during high school as people at my school don't understand what its like to want to do well in life, I learnt to ignore it all after the first year though so it wasn't too bad and in my later years I joined a peer support group to prevent other students having to go through what I had to during high school.

Heh, maybe I'm just naive. :s-smilie: I'm sorry to hear that though mate. :console:
Reply 1436
Heh, maybe I'm just naive. :s-smilie: I'm sorry to hear that though mate. :console:

I guess it depends where you go and how you conduct yourself and how you use your scenarios in life.
I go to a grammar school, and they kick out people who get below DDEE, although a lot of people getting Us this year have been allowed to stay on, so I guess our situations are very different.

I guess it could be a problem if the teachers aren't aware of the bullying, but if they are, and they're doing nothing about it, teachers should be reported as well.

I honestly think it may be due to the environment we've been exposed to. I honestly only ever saw things like that in TV shows, so I didn't know that people actually go through that stuff. Its just such a shame, and I just don't understand what they gain from doing it.

Glad we opened your eyes :biggrin: The schools should defo do something!

I think it just depends on the environment of where your school is located really as mine is in the second most deprived areas of Staffordshire so half of the students had parents that were just living on benefits and jobseekers allowance this meant that no one in their family had ever really tried to achieve much in life so it was just abnormal when they saw people who did want to do well. I remember getting teased and harassed just because I didn't want to skip a lesson because they didn't like it, I'm pretty sure they're now on jobseekers allowance and won't go much further with their life so its just their loss really. Also thanks but it actually made me laugh after a while because I wanted to stay away from the area unlike everyone else that I got picked upon, its pretty stupid if you ask me but now that no longer happens at my school because of the peer support group that was set up.

I go to a grammar school, admittedly in quite a rough area (well my town's not AS bad, but most people are from the nearest big ones and they're really bad), and this happens all the time- particularly verbal abuse and bullying and in the lower years (it's an all girls school). If it happens here, it will happen anywhere, although as someone who's been on the wrong end of it myself I can't understand why teachers can just sit back and let it happen right under their noses the whole time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest