The Student Room Group

Which Macbook should I get for a computer science course.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Anita hi :biggrin:
I wanted to know how much discount you get on a mackbook pro for university students.
Reply 21
Original post by MrJoker
I wanted to know how much discount you get on a mackbook pro for university students.

I'm not who you asked but it's 14% with a additional £70 appstore card. The appstore card is only available until the beginning of September sometime.
Reply 22
Original post by MrJoker

Hah, I couldn't check it myself because I'm not currently on my university network, but I googled it and it came up with a TSR page dedicated to explaining it!

Here ya go : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Tech:Apple_Student_Discount :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by anita21
I got it a while back, think it's 1 TB , just use it for Time Machine sync on my Macbook, plus some extra stuff that doesn't fit on the Macbook. Nowhere near using it up yet. How much storage do you use currently?

I already have a nice big shiny monitor screen (though it's going to feel tiny after the huge one I currently have at work.. ). It's not an Apple monitor, think it's an LG, but don't have it where I'm currently living so can't check, and I can't remember exactly what size the screen is. Probably about 23 inches (???) Makes a decent tv screen for watching films when it's placed at the end of the bed, and nice and big for up close. I usually use my mac air keyboard and shut the lid on my macbook and use a mouse so I just pretend I have a desktop :smile:

I currently have 500gb of films, and about 100gb of music on the Mac at home. Where do you work, I thought you were still at Uni? I have a 2 samsung HD TVs already there 32 inches and the others 19 inches, and I'm thinking of selling the 32 inch one to get extra funds for Uni and taking the 19 inch one with me, or maybe the other way round but i just think the 32 inch screen will be to big to take.
Reply 24
ohh thanks :biggrin:
Reply 25
Original post by dom979
I currently have 500gb of films, and about 100gb of music on the Mac at home.

Sounds Like a 3tb external hard drive is the way to go then!

Where do you work, I thought you were still at Uni?

I am still at uni, but for the last 3 months, I've been interning here :smile: -
[video="youtube_share;E7PQJBii4DQ"]http://youtu.be/E7PQJBii4DQ[/video]
That video is a couple of years old now though, more people have bigger / multiple screens now. I think my set up is sthg like at 1:51, but it might be slightly bigger. It felt huge when I first sat down at the desk, now it just feels normal.

I have a 2 samsung HD TVs already there 32 inches and the others 19 inches, and I'm thinking of selling the 32 inch one to get extra funds for Uni and taking the 19 inch one with me, or maybe the other way round but i just think the 32 inch screen will be to big to take.

32 inches sounds a bit too big for using on a desk for a computer monitor, but I guess you get used to anything! Worth checking if the uni accommodation you're staying in provides monitors? (Think the expensive ones at Bath Uni did, no idea about other unis, check TSR forums).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by anita21
Sounds Like a 3gb external hard drive is the way to go then!

I am still at uni, but for the last 3 months, I've been interning here :smile: -
[video="youtube_share;E7PQJBii4DQ"]http://youtu.be/E7PQJBii4DQ[/video]
That video is a couple of years old now though, more people have bigger / multiple screens now. I think my set up is sthg like at 1:51, but it might be slightly bigger. It felt huge when I first sat down at the desk, now it just feels normal.

32 inches sounds a bit too big for using on a desk for a computer monitor, but I guess you get used to anything! Worth checking if the uni accommodation you're staying in provides monitors? (Think the expensive ones at Bath Uni did, no idea about other unis, check TSR forums).

Wow Google looks amazing! Do you have to speak some German while there or do they understand you with just English? How did you manage to get an internship there? I'm not going to Uni until 2014 so I haven't fully decided on the Uni's I want to apply to, so I haven't fully checked what all the accommodations offer yet?
Reply 27
Original post by dom979
Wow Google looks amazing! Do you have to speak some German while there or do they understand you with just English?

As you see in the video, everyone in the office speaks English, since there's people from all over the world, that's the common office language.

How did you manage to get an internship there?

Applied :smile: Twice! (didn't get a project the first time round, but was encouraged to try again the following year). Had about a million phone interviews. Didn't apply for Munich but just applied to the EMEA scheme and ended up getting placed there. Very happy about it though :smile:

I'm not going to Uni until 2014 so I haven't fully decided on the Uni's I want to apply to, so I haven't fully checked what all the accommodations offer yet?

Which ones are you thinking of? Bath is nice :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by anita21
As you see in the video, everyone in the office speaks English, since there's people from all over the world, that's the common office language.

Applied :smile: Twice! (didn't get a project the first time round, but was encouraged to try again the following year). Had about a million phone interviews. Didn't apply for Munich but just applied to the EMEA scheme and ended up getting placed there. Very happy about it though :smile:

Anita so do you work at google right now? :OO which university did you go? and how was the interview experience there? :biggrin:
Reply 29
Original post by anita21

I'm thinking of York, Leeds, Newcastle, Birmingham, and I wasn't sure of a 5th option but I think I might look into Bath now :smile: One question about Bath, Is there many 'posh'/ people who think that they are above you there?
Reply 30
Original post by dom979
I'm thinking of York, Leeds, Newcastle, Birmingham, and I wasn't sure of a 5th option but I think I might look into Bath now :smile: One question about Bath, Is there many 'posh'/ people who think that they are above you there?

There's always a few, but I don't think there are more than at the other universities you've applied for..

private school : state school ratio provides something of an indicator:

74% of undergrads at Bath are from state-schools (source) which is comparable to Birmingham (76.5%) and Leeds (74.2%) (source) I expect York has less from state-schools, since it is popular with Oxbridge rejects. Newcastle is 68.4% state, so there's not a lot in it.

Generally you can avoid the posh people/snobs. Especially if you don't pick the most expensive accommodation (the kind which comes with computer monitors!)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by anita21
There's always a few, but I don't think there are more than at the other universities you've applied for..

private school : state school ratio provides something of an indicator:

74% of undergrads at Bath are from state-schools (source) which is comparable to Birmingham (76.5%) and Leeds (74.2%) (source) I expect York has less from state-schools, since it is popular with Oxbridge rejects. Newcastle is 68.4% state, so there's not a lot in it.

Generally you can avoid the posh people/snobs. Especially if you don't pick the most expensive accommodation (the kind which comes with computer monitors!)

I'm leaning towards Birmingham more than anything it was ranked 1 in the 2014 league table for computer science (source) in the UK, It seemed to have a really nice environment when I visited it. I think I might not apply to York anyway, not because of the higher ration of privately educated, but because it's only 45 minutes away from my home, and I want to be independent while at Uni and that seems to close to be independent.
Reply 32
Anita so do you work at google right now? :OO which university did you go? and how was the interview experience there?

I'm lol-man
Reply 33
Original post by MrJoker
Anita so do you work at google right now?

Yes, but not for much longer. It was just a summer internship.

:OO which university did you go?

Uni of Bath, like it says in my sig :P Edit: Oh wait, no it doesn't, that's strange..

and how was the interview experience there?

I didn't have any interviews with Bath, probably because I made a late application when I already had my grades. I did go to an open day and meet the admissions people though.

I'm lol-man

?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by dom979
I'm leaning towards Birmingham more than anything it was ranked 1 in the 2014 league table for computer science (source) in the UK, It seemed to have a really nice environment when I visited it. I think I might not apply to York anyway, not because of the higher ration of privately educated, but because it's only 45 minutes away from my home, and I want to be independent while at Uni and that seems to close to be independent.

Fair enough. I actually had the same reason for not considering Birmingham - since it's only about an hour from my parental home. Also it's always seemed like a smelly big city to me whereas Bath is so pretty :biggrin:
Reply 35
Original post by anita21
Fair enough. I actually had the same reason for not considering Birmingham - since it's only about an hour from my parental home. Also it's always seemed like a smelly big city to me whereas Bath is so pretty :biggrin:

That's a element about Birmingham I hadn't thought about and how city life there would be different to anywhere else, especially coming from a small Town where most people know each other. The part about Bath being so pretty, isn't as big of an impact on me as to how the standard of teaching is there, and what modules are on the course. This leads into a question about the Bath, What is the teaching like there? Like is the staff to student ratio all right, and do you get enough support if you need it?
Reply 36
Get the latest 13-inch MBP (retina or non-retina. Personally, I think retina is a waste of money).

Install 3 different OSs (MacOS, WinOS, LinuxOS <-- any distribution) and of you go! Code like crazy in different OS platforms, more stuff to write in your CV.

HOW TO TRIBOOT:
http://lifehacker.com/5531037/how-to-triple+boot-your-mac-with-windows-and-linux-no-boot-camp-required

that's what I did with my 13-inch MBP(Late 2011).
Reply 37
Original post by dom979
This leads into a question about the Bath, What is the teaching like there? Like is the staff to student ratio all right, and do you get enough support if you need it?

I've been out of it for the past year on placement, and also I study maths and comp sci joint degree, so I can only comment on the modules I've done (mostly programming). On the whole I'm pretty satisfied with the comp sci teaching at Bath. Class sizes for lectures are about 40-60, (way smaller than maths), though not everybody shows up of course.

Have had a mix of quality for lab tutors (who help with coursework), and class size in labs is about 20 students to 2 tutors, but they were quite responsive at giving us more lab tutors when we complained there weren't enough., upping it to 3-4. In second year less students showed up for scheduled labs for some reason, meaning a much better ratio (aside from cw deadline time though!). Some lab tutors have been excellent. Haven't come across a dud lecturer for cs yet, although some are obviously better and more charismatic than others.

On balance I'd say the standard of teaching is high, and lecturers are very responsive if you email them about anything. Probably helps that it is a relatively small department .
If you take the trouble to go to all the scheduled teaching time (2 labs a week in 1st year, 1 in second year, for the programming courses, iirc ), and don't just leave coursework to the last minute, I'd say there is definitely enough support available.

Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending