The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elcor
Yeah. I feel slightly sad too, because getting my results was the last time I will ever be in my school and I have so many good memories there and I didn't really appreciate that while I was there. I also wanted to chat to and thank teachers but I didn't get the chance to because there were photographers everywhere so I left quickly.

Happy with my results, but the process of getting them was kind of an anticlimax, I guess I was expecting it to be more dramatic.

End of an era!
Original post by Elcor
Yeah. I feel slightly sad too, because getting my results was the last time I will ever be in my school and I have so many good memories there and I didn't really appreciate that while I was there. I also wanted to chat to and thank teachers but I didn't get the chance to because there were photographers everywhere so I left quickly.

Happy with my results, but the process of getting them was kind of an anticlimax, I guess I was expecting it to be more dramatic.

Same for me, I'm leaving too but most of the teachers were on holiday so I didn't get to say thanks either :frown: just got to look ahead to sixth form and hope that too will produce many happy memories!
I was looking through my results and realised in R.E and English Literature I was 1 ums off an overall :frown: is it worth a remark in both as they are subjective answers not like science and maths a right and wrong answer and also if you have been off school for a while and have evidence to prove it for example through illness is there any bonuses that can be added to your grades to make it more fair and morelike waht you would of got without the struggle, hopefully some info guys, thanks :smile: hope everyone did well
Original post by Elcor

That's exactly how I felt when I beat mass effect 3 :s-smilie:
I was predicted all A*s (YELLIS test results) but since I haven't ever revised before and consequentially didn't know how to, I went into every exam with only the knowledge I'd tuned into during lessons throughout the year (not a great strategy, apparently!)

So I picked up my envelope on Thursday and sat around with a friend for an hour or so, not opening it, just observing others. Eventually my maths teacher came over to ask me to open them (I'd always been a bit slow on the uptake in maths so she wanted to see how I felt about the results). I ended up with 1A*, 8As and 3 Bs. Not exactly ideal for me, but I know I only have myself to blame (laziness and arrogance largely influential). The A in maths was a great shock (I could memorise the methods as needed, but haven't the foggiest when and where to apply them!) and the B in Further Maths was also surprising (I answered no more than 4 questions in the first paper - not questions 1, 2, 3, 4 with all parts inbetween... I mean 1a, 1b, 1c... etc. so you can imagine the failure).

Having had A*, A*, A*, A in my German units, I did expect to get an A* overall but alas, just an A overall. I was also 1UMS from A in English Language (A* achieved in English Lit). Anyone think it would be worthwhile having that remarked? It's a bit of a subjective mark, so I guess there is a chance of improvement?

Having not paid any attention in Chemistry lessons (to fall back on from lack of revision) in the last months leading up to the final subject exam, I ended up with a D in that unit. Brought my overall result for that subject to B (B in first unit, A in second - both due to paying some attention to lessons for those units).

In my school, people who achieved higher than the YELLIS predictions earn added value for each better grade. Since (even with revision which I felt somewhat incapable of) my A* predictions made this quite unfair, I think. Even getting all A*s in my actual results wouldn't get me a smidgeon of added value (achieving equal to the prediction isn't considered). I was set up to fail in this respect.

Just my take on my own results. Massive congrats to all who tried and succeeded, and a good luck to everyone continuing with their education. Onwards and upwards, I hope! ^^
Reply 8365
Original post by Millerman
if you were edexcel in economics, what did you get in your exam and cca?

No, OCR. 3 modules: 55/60, 55/60 and 120/120 :smile:
Can i ask? Is: A* Eng lit, A* french, A Maths, A History, A Philosophy, A Biology, A Latin, B Physics, B Eng Lang good? So overall 2A*s, 5As and 2Bs (Including 4 igcse's)
Is that a good set of results because i feel quite
disappointed
Original post by Heytherehello
Can i ask? Is: A* Eng lit, A* french, A Maths, A History, A Philosophy, A Biology, A Latin, B Physics, B Eng Lang good? So overall 2A*s, 5As and 2Bs (Including 4 igcse's)
Is that a good set of results because i feel quite
disappointed

They're pretty good. Nothing to be disappointed about, unless you've missed out on what you were predicting for yourself by a lot.
When is the cut off date for remarks?
I was dissapointed with mine :s-smilie: but at least I'm getting to go to college and do what i want to :biggrin:
Reply 8370
I dont know how to feel about my GCSE results,
I got:
English Language B
English Literature B
German D (3 marks off C)
Geography D (5 marks off C)
Core Science D (4 marks off C)
Art Graphics A
Additional Science C
Maths C
Religious Studies B (3 marks off A)

Which one of the D's should i retake? Which one is most important to pass?

PS. I am just using my sisters account as I am confused on how I should feel about my results.
Original post by alexSH
ARE THESE GOOD ENOUGH FOR OXBRIDGE?
Maths A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
Biology A*
Geography A*
Design Technology A*
French A*
Japanese A*
PE A
English Literature B
English Language B

My AS choices are Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Geography. I want to do Biological Science at Oxford preferably.

I'm resitting English in November to get at least an A!
We did IGCSE and no modules for pretty much every subjects. I'm also foreign student and I've been in England for like 5 years so I'm quite happy with my results.
Also what do university think of resits??
THANK YOU!!
You do know if you resit Oxbridge will more or less not consider you? You'd rather concentrate on your A-Levels. Those are some fab results.
Original post by alexSH
ARE THESE GOOD ENOUGH FOR OXBRIDGE?
Maths A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
Biology A*
Geography A*
Design Technology A*
French A*
Japanese A*
PE A
English Literature B
English Language B

My AS choices are Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Geography. I want to do Biological Science at Oxford preferably.

I'm resitting English in November to get at least an A!
We did IGCSE and no modules for pretty much every subjects. I'm also foreign student and I've been in England for like 5 years so I'm quite happy with my results.
Also what do university think of resits??
THANK YOU!!

8A* 1A 2B?! Of course that's good enough for Oxford! That's good enough for anywhere, except maybe Birmingham for Medicine and even that's a possibility though you don't want to do medicine it would seem. Congratulations! (However, resitting English Language at least is probably a good thing to do, from my experience Oxford are quite picky at that since it's a core GCSE alongside Maths and Science.)
Original post by theJdog
You do know if you resit Oxbridge will more or less not consider you? You'd rather concentrate on your A-Levels. Those are some fab results.

That's not true. I know people who have gotten into Oxbridge after resitting their entire AS year - why would they reject him for just resitting his Lang exam, when he's only been in the country a few years and already has some stellar results?
Original post by chatty
How do you know the grade boundaries as i can't them. I got 155 ums giving me a B. Am I near the A band?

Hi,

I got 178/200. The A* boundary is set at 180/200, the A boundary at 160/200 (so you're 5 UMS marks off) and the B boundary at 140/200 UMS.
Hope that helped! :smile:
Reply 8375
Hey guys I got good grades for GCSE mostly A*s but I got a C for Music and D for PE short course which are on the same board. Do you think it's worth it to burn b the official certificates when it comes to applying to uni due to the strict competition (I'm going to apply to medicine to some top universities) ??
Reply 8376
Original post by Heytherehello
When is the cut off date for remarks?

I think it's the 20th of September:smile:
Reply 8377
Original post by Kimango
Hey guys I got good grades for GCSE mostly A*s but I got a C for Music and D for PE short course which are on the same board. Do you think it's worth it to burn b the official certificates when it comes to applying to uni due to the strict competition (I'm going to apply to medicine to some top universities) ??

Unis get access to all your GCSE grades, so it doesn't matter
Please help!

I got my Maths results earlier this year, I did both Edexcel Linear and AQA Modular and achieved a C in both!. Does this mean I get two GCSE's or am I only allowed to use one?

Also they didn't show up on my results slip this results day and because I got the results in April I don't have anything to prove I got them! My edexcel one is on the results online thing but will I have to wait for my certificates to come to prove I got the C's? Or is there another way of proving I passed before hand?

Thanks for your help in advance!
I'm just going into year 11 but I done a few exams in year 10. I only did Maths, English Language and Science Unit 1,2 and 3 (and the coursework). In Maths I got an A which I was satisfied about. But then in English I got a D. I wasn't really pleased about this one. And then in Science Unit 1 I got a B, Unit 2 I got another B but then in Unit 3 I got a D. And in the coursework I got a C. I can retake my English in November but if I want to retake my Science, I would have to do all 3 Units again at the end of Year 11. Should I retake??

Latest