The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by raveen789
I think I am applying to BL:again finally got a better UKCAT score :biggrin:

Awesome welcome to the thread :biggrin:.
If you don't mind me asking - what's your tariff and UKCAT?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Reply 61
Original post by KanKan
Awesome welcome to the thread :biggrin:.
If you don't mind me asking - what's your tariff and UKCAT?

540 tariff and 740 ukcat but I'm still toying with the idea, it could still be risky!
Reply 62
Original post by raveen789
540 tariff and 740 ukcat but I'm still toying with the idea, it could still be risky!

risky? :tongue: You're pretty much guaranteed an interview with a score like that :smile:
Hi All!

I've read that Barts don't accept students who re-sat a levels for entry to the undergrad programme. Does the same apply for grad students? I had 3 months to study for a chem a-level exam last year whilst trying to do my phd and I'm hoping they would consider me if I re-sat the chemistry exam again this year. Missed the grade by 10% though I am having it re-checked.

Best of luck everyone :smile:
Reply 64
does anyone know where to enter the UKCAT score or reference number for UKCAT on our UCAS application. Don't want to get rejected purely on the basis of them not having my score lol.
Reply 65
Original post by Don Jesu
does anyone know where to enter the UKCAT score or reference number for UKCAT on our UCAS application. Don't want to get rejected purely on the basis of them not having my score lol.

It gets forwarded automatically your chosen universities

Hey, I know it always turns out people listing what they have so people can tell them if they have a chance but I'm absolutely terrified!
GCSEs- 4A*s, 7As and 1B
I have around 75 UCAS points from Music and an ASSET test.
I got AAAAA in my AS and I think I'll be predicted A*A*A*A*A or A*A*A*A depending if I drop a subject or not.
I really don't think I'm going to do too well in my UKCAT! I'm just wondering what you guys think I'll need to have a chance. Thank you :smile:)
Reply 67
Original post by saucysalamander
Hey, I know it always turns out people listing what they have so people can tell them if they have a chance but I'm absolutely terrified!
GCSEs- 4A*s, 7As and 1B
I have around 75 UCAS points from Music and an ASSET test.
I got AAAAA in my AS and I think I'll be predicted A*A*A*A*A or A*A*A*A depending if I drop a subject or not.
I really don't think I'm going to do too well in my UKCAT! I'm just wondering what you guys think I'll need to have a chance. Thank you :smile:)

You have a truck load of UCAS points! You might get away with it :biggrin: with your AS grades it might be worth looking at Birmingham and also UCL is a good bet with those grades but you will have to do the BMAT. I think we can tell you more when you get your ukcat score :biggrin:
Reply 68
what in the world are ucas tariff points

and how many would i require with a ukcat of 692.5
Reply 69
Original post by Sapien
what in the world are ucas tariff points

and how many would i require with a ukcat of 692.5

hehe ucas tariff points are points allocated by UCAS for your qualifications. The amount of points allocated can be found here:

http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables

According to last year's interview data, you would need around 520 UCAS points.

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/FAQs/99618.pdf
Reply 70
A score of 2800 and 580 UCAS seems enough for an interview last year. Good luck to him :smile:
Reply 71
Hey. I just did my ukcat, got 665 with the following sub section scores 430,630,900,700. (yea,vr waa a bitch). I got ABBB at AS, but bei ng predicted AAAB at a2. I had dodgy gcses... :frown: and I dont know how many ucas pts I have... Can I still get into barts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
I don't think it works like that if he takes both maths and F maths at A level and is predicted 240 points for both he will still get it. However if he is made an offer by BL they will then say offer is AAA based on chem, maths and his other subject. Not F maths. So f maths will still be counted in his number of UCAS points but will not be included in his offer. So the risk is yes he will get a tonne of UCAS points but then he will have to take 4 a levels so it's a decision he has to make! Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 73
Original post by KanKan
hehe ucas tariff points are points allocated by UCAS for your qualifications. The amount of points allocated can be found here:

http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables

According to last year's interview data, you would need around 520 UCAS points.

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/FAQs/99618.pdf

So an AS A is worth 60 points? Am i reading that right?
Reply 74
Hi guys,

I am having a very bad dilemma on the age-old question of choosing between Barts and KCL. It seems like Barts has an integrated approach while KCL is lecture based.

Can anyone comment on the differences between Barts and KCL, like the area of London which they reside in, student life, workload, quality of clinical teaching at their respective hospitals etc? I am an international student fyi so please enlighten me!

I don't really care about the prestige because I think Barts and KCL are similar.

I have 43 points for the IB and my ukcat scores are 660 880 800 880 with 805 avg and SJT band 2. Can anyone comment on the difficulty of getting in for an international applicant? Thanks
Reply 75
Hey OP thanks for creating this thread! :smile: Glad to be here among budding Barts aspirants. Visited the open day about a month ago and fell in love with the uni! I'll definitely be applying here, got the right numbers thankfully! Good luck guys :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by tvgc2000
Hi guys,

I am having a very bad dilemma on the age-old question of choosing between Barts and KCL. It seems like Barts has an integrated approach while KCL is lecture based.

Can anyone comment on the differences between Barts and KCL, like the area of London which they reside in, student life, workload, quality of clinical teaching at their respective hospitals etc? I am an international student fyi so please enlighten me!

I don't really care about the prestige because I think Barts and KCL are similar.

I have 43 points for the IB and my ukcat scores are 660 880 800 880 with 805 avg and SJT band 2. Can anyone comment on the difficulty of getting in for an international applicant? Thanks

Having visited both I can give you a general gist. Barts is located more in the East end, but quite close to central London, while KCL is more located within central London. In that case, in terms of surrounding area Barts appeared a bit more run-down than KCL of course, but it's in an area where a lot of renovation is still taking place. The student life of both appears pretty enjoyable (you'll still get the London experience regardless) and the student unions are pretty good, although in my opinion a bit better at KCL, just seemed it! But then being campus based, Barts gives you a bit more of an intimate environment which I found great! Accommodation at both is decent but not amazing, but I didn't see too much of these on the open days.

Right, the quality of KCL clinical teaching is amongst the very best; it's supposed to be a top top Medical school with international status within Europe at least. The hospitals (Guy's, St Thomas' and King's) are absolutely incredible and of a closer proximity to the uni than Bart's hospitals are. I tell you for sure, at KCL the teaching and the teaching facilities from what I witnessed are of a very high calibre. I think there's very little PBL, but lots of clinical exposure from early on, with an integrated approach. Dissections take place as well. The timetable is quite lecture heavy. Barts is also integrated but you get more of PBL teaching - it's two sessions a week for first year, and they're about two hours long. There are also lectures that take place as part of the teaching. The hospitals associated with Barts are in my opinion not as fascinating as KCL. Whipps Cross, which is one of them, was a bit so-so for me. But the London advantage with both nevertheless is the opportunity to see patients with very interesting cases some of whom come from poorer backgrounds. This area of London has amongst the lowest life expectancies in UK, so you can see why.

Back to KCL, from speaking to Medical students, the administration (such as getting feedback on your work quickly + knowing what's going to come up in your tests) is of a relatively poor standard, and there is very low student satisfaction as a result. I think it's at something like 57%, which is why the uni has recently plummeted in student satisfaction rankings. I think's it's one of the lowest.

Overall they're both great medical schools, but obviously take other people's opinions on board as well as I'm just one!

Surely your stats have got to be strong enough to earn you an interview as an international student?

Sorry for the essay, a little carried away:colondollar:
Do they count GCSE points in their score? I have AAAAB at AS and should be predicted at least A*A*AA at A2. My ukcat was 2980 (745 average). Would barts be a good option or would I stand a chance at UCL (providing good bmat) ... oh and 6A* 4A 2Dist* at GCSE... Sorry to bombard with qualifications, just completely freaking out over where to apply. :')
Reply 78
Original post by cat-lover
I got predicted a C at AS and ended up with an A. I think I'd have been pretty mad if I'd missed my grade by a few UMS because of not being given the chance to resit my ISA. Thankfully, that didn't happen and I got my grade. One of my teachers was really bad and kept getting everything wrong while he was teaching it..things like not converting to concentration for pH calculations. He taught it wrong for 2 weeks till someone pointed it out. Though we were probably just as bad as he was, it would've taken the rest of us more than 2 weeks to notice that. :colondollar: The only reason I did well was because I found some amazing notes on this website. :tongue:

Oh and sorry for the rant, I think I'm still a little mad at them. :tongue:

Hi - i'm in the same boat as you- so don't mind the rant! No one in my school doing as or a2 got an A for chemistry this year and i was just 5 ums off a B! There might be a class remark or something and hopefully i'll get the few ums i need to get a B, but do you think its worthwhile me applying to Barts with my current as results of AAAC? please let me know :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by Sapien
So an AS A is worth 60 points? Am i reading that right?

Yeah, your right, but to get those points you have to have dropped it for A2. Your A2 predictions will get the points for the subjects you are carrying on.

Hope that makes sense. So for example, I'm dropping economics, so I get 60 points. But I'm carrying on maths, biology and chem predicted at A* so that's a further 140 points for each.

Quick Reply

Latest