The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by techno836
OMG this is weird we now have two fishes :eek: and done :h:

Thanks :smile: and some people were talking about that yesterday! It's really strange, I have never met anyone else who calls themselves 'Fish' online before... I'm quite intrigued to meet my fellow Fish when he stops being banned.
Original post by HeyThereHarry
Haha wow, good luck! At my college there are quite a few free periods but we are supposed to spend them studying. However, I think the amount of free time you have depends on the college, because some places have longer lessons meaning you spend more time in class, and I know another college where there aren't any 'free periods' per se but everyone is timetabled to have Wednesday afternoons free for 'enrichment activites'(volunteering, beginners language classes, baking classes etc.). But yeah, free periods are generally common :smile:

Hahah thanks! I'm going to need it! :biggrin:

I see, thanks for clarifying that. We do a similar thing here with the 'enrichment programs', I actually have three periods of recording studio every week, which is quite a nice change - part from mastering songs we get to do the live audio for local bands that come into our school to perform. How many free periods do you have?
Original post by LeFailFish
Do you still have to wear school uniform for Sixth Form? At my school Sixth Formers can just wear normal clothes...

We have to wear a black, navy or grey suit and a shirt that is not too "loud". My school is so strict about what you can wear though e.g. Skirt length, type of suit, type of shirt, colour Of shirt.. Etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing AQA Biology, Chemistry and Physics, and Edexcel Maths.

SNAP :smile: same boards and everything

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys! So excited :biggrin: I'm doing AQA Physics, Chemistry, Spanish and French.
Original post by gracey11
We have to wear a black, navy or grey suit and a shirt that is not too "loud". My school is so strict about what you can wear though e.g. Skirt length, type of suit, type of shirt, colour Of shirt.. Etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seriously? That's stricter than most workplaces... :eek: are you at private school then? I would be really annoyed if that was the dress code at my school - not to mention my family would struggle to afford it, especially after they forked out to send me to Madagascar with Scouts this summer.
Original post by Princepieman
Hahah thanks! I'm going to need it! :biggrin:

I see, thanks for clarifying that. We do a similar thing here with the 'enrichment programs', I actually have three periods of recording studio every week, which is quite a nice change - part from mastering songs we get to do the live audio for local bands that come into our school to perform. How many free periods do you have?

Oh wow! That sounds cool :smile:

Well, this is how my college works:
We get 4.5 hours of teaching each week per AS. Most people seem to do 4 AS-levels, so in total that's 18 hours in total of lesson time. A full week would be 35 hours, so it's about a 50/50 split of class and free period :smile: When you haven't got a lesson you don't have to be at college though so it's not like everyone is just hanging around for half of the time haha, you've just got to make sure you turn up for lessons!
All the free time can get a bit annoying though because sometimes you have nothing to do if there's a free period inconveniently in the middle of the day or something and there's not always enough time to go home/shopping :tongue:
Yeah, that's basically what mine's like for Sixth Formers :biggrin: The only real rule is no shorts or short skirts before the Easter holidays (so before summer), and the majority of the girls break that (they're much harsher on the guys at my school for some reason, which seems really unfair, and I have no idea why).

Haha well my college isn't even as harsh as that! There's kind of an 'anything goes' policy :tongue:
Haha well my college isn't even as harsh as that! There's kind of an 'anything goes' policy :tongue:

I really hope there's someone that abuses that and comes in in a swimming costume... or a dinosaur onesie... or just something stupid :tongue:
Original post by Princepieman
I would say 20-30 minutes revision per subject everyday, that way you don't go overboard while still retaining any new pieces if information you have learnt from lessons.

If you want, you can log some extra hours over the weekend but that's up to you.

At my college I'll have 4.5hrs of teaching time per week per AS, and my college recommends that we spend an additional 4.5hrs studying independently. Most people completely ignore this recommendation, but I think I'll try to stick to it because I'm feeling reaaaally academically motivated (at the moment, anyway :tongue:). I won't be 'revising' per se, but simply re-writing notes and perhaps preparing/planning revision resources for when I start actually revising properly for the exams.

So half an hour everyday (weekdays) and an hour in the weekend? If I stick to this, I'll hopefully keep on top of things.
Seriously? That's stricter than most workplaces... :eek: are you at private school then? I would be really annoyed if that was the dress code at my school - not to mention my family would struggle to afford it, especially after they forked out to send me to Madagascar with Scouts this summer.

Yeh private school.. I know it's ridiculous!! We aren't even allowed to wear a smart dress with a blazer, they are so strict.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dinasaurus
So half an hour everyday (weekdays) and an hour in the weekend? If I stick to this, I'll hopefully keep on top of things.

Yeah, you'll definitely keep on top of things. Revising too much can be detrimental to your performance sometimes, so just continually looking over notes etc, will be more than enough.
Guys, are you taking 3 or 4 AS-levels?

I'm still not sure whether to do Spanish, geology and *either biology or chemistry*, or all 4 of those subjects. I think I'm prooobably theoretically capable of doing 4 AS subjects in terms of intelligence, but I think I'd be able to cope psychologically and mentally much better with just 3. ...I stress uncontrollably :tongue:
Also, doing one less subject would give me an additional 4.5hrs each week to work harder for the ones I am doing, meaning the chances are I'd achieve higher grades in my 3 subjects. Hmmmm, I don't know :/

By the way, I kinda plan to do a Spanish degree at either Southampton, Sheffield, or East Anglia (entry requirements in the region of AAB–AAA ish), if that is something to consider.

At our school we do 4 ASs (or 5 if you take Further Maths) and generally drop one at A2, so I'm taking Chemistry, Biology, Spanish and Philosophy and Ethics and (as I have no idea what I want to do beyond school) I'll most likely drop the one I got the worst grade in.

I stress too, and I'm not sure how I'd cope with the work load but if intellectually you think you can deal with 4 then the physical and emotional side should follow suit. I've watched lots of people get through 4 ASs and do really well, but I suppose if you aren't comfortable with the idea you may be better off with three :smile:

What you could always do is take 4 and if after a couple of weeks you find it too difficult you can always drop one subject :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gracey11
Yeh private school.. I know it's ridiculous!! We aren't even allowed to wear a smart dress with a blazer, they are so strict.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can't even wear a smart dress? :eek: That's pretty extreme! I used to really want to go to private school, there's much more emphasis on actually working there (or at least, outsiders get that impression) and I thought I would work harder and get less distracted in that sort of environment.

We're doing exactly the same subjects? That's awesome :biggrin: I don't actually know anyone else taking the same subjects as me, most people at my school are discouraged from it (because it's 'too stressful' for the tiny minded people at a comprehensive to cope with. Ughh :mad: )
Reply 1934
Got all my supplies now! Also got a haircut and 5 new albums :h:
Oh wow! That sounds cool :smile:

Well, this is how my college works:
We get 4.5 hours of teaching each week per AS. Most people seem to do 4 AS-levels, so in total that's 18 hours in total of lesson time. A full week would be 35 hours, so it's about a 50/50 split of class and free period :smile: When you haven't got a lesson you don't have to be at college though so it's not like everyone is just hanging around for half of the time haha, you've just got to make sure you turn up for lessons!
All the free time can get a bit annoying though because sometimes you have nothing to do if there's a free period inconveniently in the middle of the day or something and there's not always enough time to go home/shopping :tongue:

Interesting, that's essentially how it works in 6th year(year 13) - even down to amount of class time/free time you're allocated.

Oh, I don't know what I'd do without the small high-street nearby, how can you live without having regular shopping sessions? :rolleyes:
You can't even wear a smart dress? :eek: That's pretty extreme! I used to really want to go to private school, there's much more emphasis on actually working there (or at least, outsiders get that impression) and I thought I would work harder and get less distracted in that sort of environment.

We're doing exactly the same subjects? That's awesome :biggrin: I don't actually know anyone else taking the same subjects as me, most people at my school are discouraged from it (because it's 'too stressful' for the tiny minded people at a comprehensive to cope with. Ughh :mad: )

Hahah I don't actually know of anyone at my school doing the same combination as me..! I think it will be really nice to do all sciences, no need to vary learning techniques between subjects :smile: ahh I'm only going to private school because I got a fairly large academic scholarship into the sixth form :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1937
Do you still have to wear school uniform for Sixth Form? At my school Sixth Formers can just wear normal clothes...

Yeah, guys have to wear suits with a certain tie.

Girls get a bit more freedom, white top/black bottom/black shoes but it has to look smart.

My school is really fussy with stuff like uniform, in my 5 years there we had 1 non uniform day for charity
Original post by Mr.Nor
Got all my supplies now! Also got a haircut and 5 new albums :h:

Ooh nice, I'm near enough in the same boat (minus the albums and the haircut) but I'm waiting til I am closer to starting sixth form for me to cut my hair ahaha.
Reply 1939
Do you guys think 5 A levels is too many?
(Geography, Maths, German, Chemistry, Biology)

Latest