The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1940
Original post by Dinasaurus
Ooh nice, I'm near enough in the same boat (minus the albums and the haircut) but I'm waiting til I am closer to starting sixth form for me to cut my hair ahaha.

I start next Wednesday so though I may as well do it now :tongue:
Original post by LeFailFish
I really hope there's someone that abuses that and comes in in a swimming costume... or a dinosaur onesie... or just something stupid :tongue:

Haha yeaaah, no doubt one day somebody will lol :tongue:
Original post by gracey11
Hahah I don't actually know of anyone at my school doing the same combination as me..! I think it will be really nice to do all sciences, no need to vary learning techniques between subjects :smile: ahh I'm only going to private school because I got a fairly large academic scholarship into the sixth form :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah :smile: and there's very little of that pesky coursework with science and maths - I have a serious hatred of coursework, it just bugs me. Plus, there's a lot of overlap between the sciences, so you can apply what you learn in one to all the others, to a certain extent. Ahh I see :smile: that's cool - you must have done amazingly well in your GCSEs then!! :biggrin:
Is anyone doing this combo..Biology, Chemistry, Geography and French/Eng Lit?
Original post by Squidgy
Yeah, guys have to wear suits with a certain tie.

Girls get a bit more freedom, white top/black bottom/black shoes but it has to look smart.

My school is really fussy with stuff like uniform, in my 5 years there we had 1 non uniform day for charity

I'm so glad that there's more freedom at my school - after putting up with uniform for 12 years, I think we deserve a break! Are you at private school then?

Only 1? We have 2 every year - and as sixth formers dress in normal clothes every day, on each charity event they have a theme and have to come in in fancy dress. They always really go for it, so I'm looking forward to being part of that this year! :biggrin:
Original post by Princepieman
Interesting, that's essentially how it works in 6th year(year 13) - even down to amount of class time/free time you're allocated.

Oh, I don't know what I'd do without the small high-street nearby, how can you live without having regular shopping sessions? :rolleyes:

Haha, there's a corner shop near college and people go there for sweets etc, but you have to catch the bus into town if you want proper shops and it can take 45 minutes to get there. So it's 1hr 30mins on the bus in total (there and back), meaning there's often not enough time to actually do shopping before you've got to return to college for lessons :/
Original post by Molly_xox
At our school we do 4 ASs (or 5 if you take Further Maths) and generally drop one at A2, so I'm taking Chemistry, Biology, Spanish and Philosophy and Ethics and (as I have no idea what I want to do beyond school) I'll most likely drop the one I got the worst grade in.

I stress too, and I'm not sure how I'd cope with the work load but if intellectually you think you can deal with 4 then the physical and emotional side should follow suit. I've watched lots of people get through 4 ASs and do really well, but I suppose if you aren't comfortable with the idea you may be better off with three :smile:

What you could always do is take 4 and if after a couple of weeks you find it too difficult you can always drop one subject :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice. It's kind of my college's policy also for us to choose 4 at AS and then drop one at A2, but the admissions officer is quite accommodating so she said it's okay for me to do just 3 if I want. Even so, I think I'll do as you've said and pick all 4, and if I find I'm struggling with the load then I'll probably just drop one... My college gives us up to the October half-term to switch around courses if we don't like them so I'll see how I do in the first few weeks. Thanks :smile:

Btw, I don't think I've heard your results... How did you do? :smile:
Reply 1947
I have a question, as something is really bothering me.
I really, really want to do medicine but my AS grades were not as expected and I definitely plan on re-sitting them. My IGCSE grades were great, as well as my IELTs and I’ll be doing the UKCAT exam soon, along with starting year 12 this september to do my A2’s which will be Bio, Chem and Math. For AS I did Bio, Chem, Math and Physics. Is there hope, a chance, something - I feel like I’m going to be instantly rejected once they see my AS results :frown:
Reply 1948
I'm so glad that there's more freedom at my school - after putting up with uniform for 12 years, I think we deserve a break! Are you at private school then?

Only 1? We have 2 every year - and as sixth formers dress in normal clothes every day, on each charity event they have a theme and have to come in in fancy dress. They always really go for it, so I'm looking forward to being part of that this year! :biggrin:

No I'm at a public school, they're just fussy.

That sounds like fun though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah :smile: and there's very little of that pesky coursework with science and maths - I have a serious hatred of coursework, it just bugs me. Plus, there's a lot of overlap between the sciences, so you can apply what you learn in one to all the others, to a certain extent. Ahh I see :smile: that's cool - you must have done amazingly well in your GCSEs then!! :biggrin:

Ahh I despise coursework!! Yeah maths especially.. There's loads of maths in chemistry and physics :smile: well I got 11A*s :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Squidgy
No I'm at a public school, they're just fussy.

That sounds like fun though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How strange. :smile:

It should be!! Last time we had a group of people come in as the trains from Thomas the Tank Engine, it was awesome... they started the largest conga line I have ever seen all around the school. :biggrin:
Ahh I despise coursework!! Yeah maths especially.. There's loads of maths in chemistry and physics :smile: well I got 11A*s :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah there is :smile: Seriously?? Congratulations :eek: those are some scarily good results!!! I thought I was doing well with 9 A*s and 4 As - straight A*s is phenomenal!
Original post by HeyThereHarry
Thanks for the advice. It's kind of my college's policy also for us to choose 4 at AS and then drop one at A2, but the admissions officer is quite accommodating so she said it's okay for me to do just 3 if I want. Even so, I think I'll do as you've said and pick all 4, and if I find I'm struggling with the load then I'll probably just drop one... My college gives us up to the October half-term to switch around courses if we don't like them so I'll see how I do in the first few weeks. Thanks :smile:

Btw, I don't think I've heard your results... How did you do? :smile:

No problem :smile: my school is the same, you get until October to change, I'm giving Biology a trial and if I don't like it I'll take French instead :smile:

6 A*s and 4 As! I'm ridiculously happy - 3 of the subjects (English Lit, English and History) I got As in I've really, really struggled with so getting such good grades is a miracle! And then A*s are just wow :biggrin: I'm getting my RS remarked though, I'm 1 UMS off an A* :frown: how did you do? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah there is :smile: Seriously?? Congratulations :eek: those are some scarily good results!!! I thought I was doing well with 9 A*s and 4 As - straight A*s is phenomenal!

Haha thank youu :smile: I burst into tears of happiness when I found out :') Your results are amazing too!! 13 GCSE's woahhh :P

Edit: do you know what you want to study at university yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fmeerza
I have a question, as something is really bothering me.
I really, really want to do medicine but my AS grades were not as expected and I definitely plan on re-sitting them. My IGCSE grades were great, as well as my IELTs and I’ll be doing the UKCAT exam soon, along with starting year 12 this september to do my A2’s which will be Bio, Chem and Math. For AS I did Bio, Chem, Math and Physics. Is there hope, a chance, something - I feel like I’m going to be instantly rejected once they see my AS results :frown:

How bad is 'not as expected'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha thank youu :smile: I burst into tears of happiness when I found out :') Your results are amazing too!! 13 GCSE's woahhh :P

Edit: do you know what you want to study at university yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not surprised!! I would be ecstatic if I had achieved that! Thanks :smile: Yeah I took a few extra GCSEs... partially because I'm indecisive and was offered all of them and didn't know which to say no to :tongue: and partially because my friend and I made a pact to do them together. We got exactly the same results too :eek: it was strange!

I've not made a definite decision yet. I'm looking into medicine, but obviously that's such a hard area to get into and I'd need to see what extra-curricular stuff I would have to do to get into a good medical school. I'm also looking at bioscience type things - biochemistry, biomedicine and that sort of area. What about you? What uni courses are you considering? :smile:
Original post by Molly_xox
No problem :smile: my school is the same, you get until October to change, I'm giving Biology a trial and if I don't like it I'll take French instead :smile:

6 A*s and 4 As! I'm ridiculously happy - 3 of the subjects (English Lit, English and History) I got As in I've really, really struggled with so getting such good grades is a miracle! And then A*s are just wow :biggrin: I'm getting my RS remarked though, I'm 1 UMS off an A* :frown: how did you do? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that's excellent! Well done!!
I got 11 A*s and an A in English literature... I was just 1 UMS off an A* so I'm getting that remarked :biggrin:
I am genuinely so so pleased because I thought I'd messed up so badly! The pressure is on to do well at A-level now :tongue:

Well good luck for next year! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HeyThereHarry
Wow that's excellent! Well done!!
I got 11 A*s and an A in English literature... I was just 1 UMS off an A* so I'm getting that remarked :biggrin:
I am genuinely so so pleased because I thought I'd messed up so badly! The pressure is on to do well at A-level now :tongue:

Well good luck for next year! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow you did amazing I'm slightly depressed, because I only got 3A*s 7A's 1B and 3C's :frown:
Reply 1958
Original post by Darnell LD97
Wow you did amazing I'm slightly depressed, because I only got 3A*s 7A's 1B and 3C's :frown:

Unless you get 10+ A*'s, when you come to TSR you will be depressed :tongue: :frown:
Original post by Darnell LD97

You did 14 GCSE's :eek:. We were only allowed to do 9
Original post by Tibbz2
Unless you get 10+ A*'s, when you come to TSR you will be depressed :tongue: :frown:

I feel his pain.... :tongue:

Latest