The Student Room Group

Extra reading for geography?

I want to take Physical Geography at undergraduate level, and was wondering if anyone could recommend books, journals or papers that help further my understanding and knowledge of the subject.

I'd like Human Geography stuff to read as well, just so I'm not drowning in the physical processes of the earth. :smile:
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
I'd definitely recommend the journal Nature, it's a bit hit and miss with geography related articles, but they're excellent at covering natural disasters from an academic point of view. There's also Nature Geoscience and Nature Climate Change which have a greater link to geography. They're approximately £10 per issue or £79 for a student subscription, and are published on a weekly basis.

El Niño by Madeleine Nash is supposed to be very good. I'm personally more of a human geographer, but have a secret obsession with meteorology. I'm currently reading The Bottom Billion by Paul Collier, and my next reads are going to be 10 Billion and The 32 Stops by Danny Dorling.

I had an entire Amazon Wish List FULL of physical geography which I've been building up for the past 18 months but it's somehow been deleted. If I get the problem sorted, I'll post a link to it on here for you to have a look through.
Reply 3
Original post by megantrace
I'd definitely recommend the journal Nature, it's a bit hit and miss with geography related articles, but they're excellent at covering natural disasters from an academic point of view. There's also Nature Geoscience and Nature Climate Change which have a greater link to geography. They're approximately £10 per issue or £79 for a student subscription, and are published on a weekly basis.

El Niño by Madeleine Nash is supposed to be very good. I'm personally more of a human geographer, but have a secret obsession with meteorology. I'm currently reading The Bottom Billion by Paul Collier, and my next reads are going to be 10 Billion and The 32 Stops by Danny Dorling.

I had an entire Amazon Wish List FULL of physical geography which I've been building up for the past 18 months but it's somehow been deleted. If I get the problem sorted, I'll post a link to it on here for you to have a look through.

Thank you very much for your help! I'll definitely have a check through of these :smile:
Reply 6
Six Degrees by Mark Lynas is a good one on climate change :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by airabree
Six Degrees by Mark Lynas is a good one on climate change :smile:

Climate change is a favourite of mine - thank you :tongue:

Quick Reply