The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Sheffield Hallam PGCE Secondary Science 2013

]Hi everyone, I'm new here
I'm just wanting to ask if anyone who has got onto a secondary science PGCE starting in September 2013 has heard when the start date is?! I've done everything I've needed to, the last thing being my CRB but I haven't heard anything since then and that was 2 months ago. Has anyone else heard anything?!
Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there,

I'm starting the starting the secondary chemistry PGCE in September and have just finished a Chemistry SKE at Hallam. We were told that we need to be available all day Friday the 6th of September for enrollment etc. Then classes start on Monday the 9th. I actually have a copy of the provisional timetable for next year that I can send to you if you like. What subject are you specializing in?

Anna
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
Anna that would be brilliant thankyou :smile: my email address is [MOD EDIT: Don't post personal contact details - use the PM system]. Did you hear that from being at uni already or have they sent you your welcome pack?! I'm doing the biology PGCE :smile:

Thankyou x
Reply 3
I'm also doing the Biology PGCE and haven't received anything yet. Could you please send me a timetable Anna? Thank you x
Reply 4
Hi guys, I have my interview on Tuesday (finally decided teachings for me), for PGCE Maths, I did my degree at Loughborough and live in York so was wondering if you had any ideas on the best places to live as a postgraduate (assuming the interview goes well :smile:)?
Reply 5
Hi guys,

Got my interview for Secondary Physics next Friday. Wondered if anyone has any advice?

Also, if the interview goes well, where are people planning on living?

Ta,

Josh
Reply 6
I got offered a place in an interview a week ago. I'm relocating from Essex so I asked for advise regarding where to live and the interviewer said live near some form of transport as it will help when it comes to placements. Im looking at halls though :smile:
Reply 7
I'm looking at halls to live, they said you can put on your application that you want to live with other PGCE students.
Reply 8
Original post by Krispie
I got offered a place in an interview a week ago. I'm relocating from Essex so I asked for advise regarding where to live and the interviewer said live near some form of transport as it will help when it comes to placements. Im looking at halls though :smile:

Hi,

Just wondered what the interview was like? What was the writing task about?

Many thanks,

Josh
Reply 9
Original post by buck06191
Hi,

Just wondered what the interview was like? What was the writing task about?

Many thanks,

Josh

errm wasn't that bad to be honest. Had a mini science test to do that had all 3 sciences on it and had to write about whether or not I had a good science education at school. After i did my presentation, was asked a couple of questions on that. A lot of the interview was about what do I expect being a teacher, how would I deal with certain things, how would i cope with the pressure and what do i expect to gain from the course. It wasn't that bad really, have to admit that it was one of the nicer interviews that I've had.
If you have any more questions just ask!!
Hope this helps and good luck

Kristie
Reply 10
Hey,

Have you guys got your accommodation sorted? Would anyone be interested in trying to sort something together as a PGCE group? I live in Doncaster so I've been able to visit Sheffield frequently to look at places but it seems impossible to get a place with graduates not to mention fellow PGCE students. All I can find is mostly sharing with undergrads. I remember when I was a undergrad an the constant partying, so it kind of puts me off sharing with them due to how intense the PGCE is. If anyone is interested let us know :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Alan11475
Hey,

Have you guys got your accommodation sorted? Would anyone be interested in trying to sort something together as a PGCE group? I live in Doncaster so I've been able to visit Sheffield frequently to look at places but it seems impossible to get a place with graduates not to mention fellow PGCE students. All I can find is mostly sharing with undergrads. I remember when I was a undergrad an the constant partying, so it kind of puts me off sharing with them due to how intense the PGCE is. If anyone is interested let us know :smile:

I applied last week for accommodation and I got an offer yesterday for it, they just said if you put down that the course starts early then they will try and allocate you quicker
Reply 12
Original post by Krispie
I applied last week for accommodation and I got an offer yesterday for it, they just said if you put down that the course starts early then they will try and allocate you quicker

Nice one! I went to view a place in the city center tonight which was nice an only 5 minutes walk away from the Uni. There's 4 undergrads and 3 on Masters booked for it so it seems like it's going to be a good balance if I take it :smile:
Reply 13
Has anyone had any letters saying about pre-enrolling or stuff we have to do before, as I haven't heard anything. Also has anyone been contacted about filling in a CRB?? once again I havent heard anything.
Reply 14
Yeah I got a letter telling me to call them to make arrangements to go to the Uni an I think I went to the uni to do the CRB check back about the 20th June and got the certificate pretty quickly after that.

I also got a letter or email just telling me to keep up to date with this webpage as it will contain everything I need to know before over the summer and where I need to go on Friday 6th... https://blogs.shu.ac.uk/secondaryeducationteachertrainingatshu/

There is a part in it saying the CRB check needs to be done ASAP so if you never got the letter I'd give them a call on Tues
Reply 15
Original post by Krispie
Has anyone had any letters saying about pre-enrolling or stuff we have to do before, as I haven't heard anything. Also has anyone been contacted about filling in a CRB?? once again I havent heard anything.

Yes I had one letter beginning of August and then the same again on Thursday. This is because they have mixed up and given me 2 student numbers though, but it was just saying where we have to be on the 6th for enrolment. They say we should get an email end of August about pre-enrolment though which I haven't had as of yet. As for the CRB I did mine back in April :s-smilie: I would just give them a call to ask about it, it can take 3 weeks for a CRB to come back. X
Reply 16
I've had the pre enrolment pack and the email. Everything we need to know is on the website and it seems to be updated often. There is a form to fill in for placements and video messages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
https://blogs.shu.ac.uk/secondaryeducationteachertrainingatshu/

This is the link to the pre enrolment website. This has links to all the other information. Hope that helps,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Wow okay, feeling like ive been forgotton by the uni at the moment. Think if it hasnt come in the post by tuesday i'll ring them. I presume its admissions i'm phoning?! Thanks guys :smile:
Reply 19
Oh yh is there any work we have to do? I know primary pgce do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending