The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton

University of Southampton Freshers 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
After waiting ages for an offer Soton put me in small halls - Romero?! I really wanted wessex lane! :frown: does anyone know what romero's like? And did anyone else get Romer?
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Hey Guys, I've been offered an ensuite in Romero, Archers Road, and I was just wondering if anyone had found any pictures of the rooms within Romero, because it wasn't any of my choices so I haven't really researched much on it, until today.

Also I've heard that the rooms and kitchens are small...is this true?

btw I'm going to be studying English
Reply 642
Original post by JOelD66
Same!! So glad I have somewhere to stay in Southampton now :P Kind of makes it more official! I heard fire alarms were an issue though :/

Original post by CHARMANII
After waiting ages for an offer Soton put me in small halls - Romero?! I really wanted wessex lane! :frown: does anyone know what romero's like? And did anyone else get Romer?

Original post by Rochellebp
Hey Guys, I've been offered an ensuite in Romero, Archers Road, and I was just wondering if anyone had found any pictures of the rooms within Romero, because it wasn't any of my choices so I haven't really researched much on it, until today.

Also I've heard that the rooms and kitchens are small...is this true?

btw I'm going to be studying English

I had never even heard of Romero before I was allocated it. There's about 5 pictures on the Southampton uni website but they don't show much. If you search this website there is a thread about Romero from 2006 but I haven't bothered to read it yet. Other than that I haven't found any information on the place.

I reckon that hardly anyone applied to Romero so we got given it because all the other en suites were gone. :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 643
I applied for accommodation in March and Southampton has always been my firm choice, yet I'm STILL waiting for my accommodation offer T_T They really should make it first come first served T_____T
Original post by mangooo
I applied for accommodation in March and Southampton has always been my firm choice, yet I'm STILL waiting for my accommodation offer T_T They really should make it first come first served T_____T

I totally get why you're annoyed that you're still waiting; I got my offer on Wednesday and I was already stressed out about not having an offer before then! :redface: However, I'm really grateful that Southampton do not work by a first come first served basis. I was due to be going into private rented accommodation but my personal situation suddenly changed in July and it was no longer feasible for me. Because of Southampton's system, I was still able to go into halls. If I'd been going to a uni that makes all its students pick their accommodation on one day in like, March, I don't know what I'd have done.

There are pros and cons to every method, though. If you've always known that you really really wanted a specific hall, first come first served is a great system as long as you can get your application in quick!

Hope you hear something soon. :smile: Maybe give them a ring if nothing's changed next week?
Original post by Hugg
So who is doing geology?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would be me :smile:
Also have a place at liberty point provided all the forms get there ECT.
Reply 646
Original post by Where'sPerry?
I totally get why you're annoyed that you're still waiting; I got my offer on Wednesday and I was already stressed out about not having an offer before then! :redface: However, I'm really grateful that Southampton do not work by a first come first served basis. I was due to be going into private rented accommodation but my personal situation suddenly changed in July and it was no longer feasible for me. Because of Southampton's system, I was still able to go into halls. If I'd been going to a uni that makes all its students pick their accommodation on one day in like, March, I don't know what I'd have done.

There are pros and cons to every method, though. If you've always known that you really really wanted a specific hall, first come first served is a great system as long as you can get your application in quick!

Hope you hear something soon. :smile: Maybe give them a ring if nothing's changed next week?

I'm glad it all worked out for you! :smile: I guess I'm just really really impatient haha
Reply 647
Just got an accommodation offer. Got premium room with washbasin - Chancellors Court. To be honest I really wanted an en-suite but oh well.
Reply 648
I've just been offered the same, jibjab. Wanted en suite too but I guess I'm saving money this way. Let's hope Chancellor's Court is a decent place!
Reply 649
Original post by Simonion
I've just been offered the same, jibjab. Wanted en suite too but I guess I'm saving money this way. Let's hope Chancellor's Court is a decent place!

Aww, yeh I'm glad I atleast got a sink though lol. Atleast we will have a little change in our pockets lol. See you there Simonion!!
Original post by jibjab
Just got an accommodation offer. Got premium room with washbasin - Chancellors Court. To be honest I really wanted an en-suite but oh well.

CC's really swish! It's the newest build of all halls, and it's the only one which has lifts in them!!

These are pics of CC's premium rooms:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/89727508@N02/8178428492/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/89727508@N02/8178397231/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/89727508@N02/8178428582/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/89727508@N02/8178368529/
Reply 651
Original post by coolster1

That's really good to know! The rooms don't look half bad. It's glen eyre which is the important thing, close to the gym at highfield campus. Do you know anything about the fitness suite @ glen?
That's really good to know! The rooms don't look half bad. It's glen eyre which is the important thing, close to the gym at highfield campus. Do you know anything about the fitness suite @ glen?

Glen gym is right next to the reception. If you've signed up for the Sports & Wellbeing membership then you'll be able to use the Glen gym as well as the main one on campus. Apart from that I have no idea as I've never been inside :P

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/accommodation/halls/maps/gleneyremap.html

Original post by jibjab

What did you two apply for in your accomodation application?

I sent mine off at the end of May, have an unconditional place (after withdrawing last year and getting onto a new course this year I'm guaranteed as a new student) and still haven't had an offer. There are no problems with my application according to the reply I got to an email query at the end of July.

Last year I got my offer actually on results day so this is frustrating.
Reply 654
Original post by mikeorchard
What did you two apply for in your accomodation application?

I sent mine off at the end of May, have an unconditional place (after withdrawing last year and getting onto a new course this year I'm guaranteed as a new student) and still haven't had an offer. There are no problems with my application according to the reply I got to an email query at the end of July.

Last year I got my offer actually on results day so this is frustrating.

I applied end of April. I applied for en-suite at Glen Eyre and Wessex lane, and premium en-suite at Wessex Lane. I think they are giving out offers by building because everyone who is in the same building seems to get offers at the same time. I feel your pain.
Reply 655

Same here. Premium room Chancellor's Court as of yesterday. Not what I wanted but is where I wanted so I don't mind. looks nice. Are those of us that received this offer yesterday all mature students?
I'm studying Foundation Engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 656
Original post by A_oneill
Same here. Premium room Chancellor's Court as of yesterday. Not what I wanted but is where I wanted so I don't mind. looks nice. Are those of us that received this offer yesterday all mature students?
I'm studying Foundation Engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a mature student yeah. I'm hoping I'll be sharing with people who also wanted ensuite, who'll perhaps be a bit more respectful in terms of cleanliness etc!

Lets make the best of it and work out how we're gonna spend the money we're saving!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 657
Original post by jibjab
I applied end of April. I applied for en-suite at Glen Eyre and Wessex lane, and premium en-suite at Wessex Lane. I think they are giving out offers by building because everyone who is in the same building seems to get offers at the same time. I feel your pain.

Other than my third choice being a premium with washbasin at Wessex, your story is identical to mine. Applied 30th April. I'm guessing you're a mature student too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 658
Other than my third choice being a premium with washbasin at Wessex, your story is identical to mine. Applied 30th April. I'm guessing you're a mature student too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a mature student yeah. Applied around April too. I was really hoping for ensuite but happy I might be sharing with others that are in the same situation. The accommodation at Chancellor's Court looks good enough. As long as the bathrooms are kept clean I think we'll be able to get over not having our own.

Ooops quoted wrong post.
Shared bathrooms are cleaned by staff a number of times a week, much like the kitchens. Where as ensuite is down to the student themselves. Saves on having to buy toilet roll.

I applied for 2 self contained studio/flats and the rest ensuite at Monte/Glen Eyre so hopefully should get an offer soon like yourselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending