The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the.cookie.monster
If they do I don't think they ask all applicants, I think most people who received UCL offers last year didn't get asked about their UMS. In fact I can't think of anyone who did get asked. You just get invited to one of their compulsory open day visits- no interviews or additional forms.

even the open days weren't for everyone. i got an offer last year and didn't have to attend an open day.
so do GCSE's really play a heavy role in UCL selection process then ? plus i got AABB at AS level ( got 90% in Maths ) so does that mean UCL is pretty much out of the window ? ( i'm gonna be doing AS Further Maths next year )
Original post by Fas
so do GCSE's really play a heavy role in UCL selection process then ? plus i got AABB at AS level ( got 90% in Maths ) so does that mean UCL is pretty much out of the window ? ( i'm gonna be doing AS Further Maths next year )

I got the impression that as long as you are predicted A*AA with the A* in maths, you have a chance.
Original post by Bloxorus
I got the impression that as long as you are predicted A*AA with the A* in maths, you have a chance.

yeah i'll definitely be predicted A* no problem. ah ok thanks hopefully thats true haha :smile:
Original post by robin1125
As others have said, you'd definitely get in to Bristol with those predictions (if they are what your predictions will be).

Original post by lynnny8
With these predicted grades you'd definitely get in Bristol and Exeter. I think you'd still have a shot for UCL and LSE, but might not do for Oxbridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can never say 'definitely' with these things... I had much stronger GCSE and AS grades than these applying to Bristol and didn't get an offer, and that was 4/5 years ago when it was less competitive. Not saying that they won't, but you shouldn't offer false hope by saying they'll definitely get an offer.
Original post by littlemiss-sunshine
You can never say 'definitely' with these things... I had much stronger GCSE and AS grades than these applying to Bristol and didn't get an offer, and that was 4/5 years ago when it was less competitive. Not saying that they won't, but you shouldn't offer false hope by saying they'll definitely get an offer.

Fair enough. Perhaps definitely wasn't the right word to use, but the admissions people at Bristol all seemed to think if your predictions were 2a*s or more then you were incredibly likely to get an offer. The admissions person gave an example of someone who had higher predictions but since they wrote a racist personal statement, they weren't given an offer.

It may have changed recently, as I was under the impression that the economics department was allowed to take on quite a few more undergrads (like 40 or 50 more) in recent years.
Fair enough. Perhaps definitely wasn't the right word to use, but the admissions people at Bristol all seemed to think if your predictions were 2a*s or more then you were incredibly likely to get an offer. The admissions person gave an example of someone who had higher predictions but since they wrote a racist personal statement, they weren't given an offer.

It may have changed recently, as I was under the impression that the economics department was allowed to take on quite a few more undergrads (like 40 or 50 more) in recent years.

what a complete ****tard , that's just asking for a flat out rejection hahahahaha
Reply 667
Would you think having a B in maths at AS/A2 prediction would hinder your application if i were to apply for an AAB type university? Seeming maths is the most important subject for the course D:

Screw you C2 !! :mad2::mad2:

Also does anyone know a bit bout Exeter? They state entry as A*AA-AAB which makes me kind of think of making an 'ambitious' application. In this case Exeter and Southampton would be mine. But still thinking about it.... A*AA-AAB.... what are the conditions o.O. Assuming AS=A2, ill be predicted AAB. Good idea applying for these universities?
A*AA-AAB Exeter
AAA/AAB+a Southampton
AAB Surrey/Royal Holloway
ABB Reading
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jkizer
Would you think having a B in maths at AS/A2 prediction would hinder your application if i were to apply for an AAB type university? Seeming maths is the most important subject for the course D:

Also does anyone know a bit bout Exeter? They state entry as A*AA-AAB which makes me kind of think of making an 'ambitious' application. In this case Exeter and Southampton would be mine. But still thinking about it.... A*AA-AAB.... what are the conditions o.O. Assuming AS=A2, ill be predicted AAB. Good idea applying for these universities?
A*AA-AAB Exeter
AAA/AAB+a Southampton
ABB Reading

If you are predicted a B in Maths, take a look at York. When I visited I was told that standard offers for Economics were AAB (with the B in Maths) if you took Maths and AAA if you didn't take Maths
Original post by Jkizer

A*AA-AAB Exeter
AAA/AAB+a Southampton
ABB Reading

What did you get in your maths modules? As I believe you should be predicted an A for Maths if you got a B at AS. As for universities I think Exeter is a good "Ambitious" type choice it is a BA type course instead of BSc so it's less maths heavy. If you have GCSE grade A for maths then you should be fine. However the university is quite prestige so you probably won't get an offer if there is a lot of competition if you're to be predicted AAB.
Reply 670
Original post by Dilzo999
What did you get in your maths modules? As I believe you should be predicted an A for Maths if you got a B at AS. As for universities I think Exeter is a good "Ambitious" type choice it is a BA type course instead of BSc so it's less maths heavy. If you have GCSE grade A for maths then you should be fine. However the university is quite prestige so you probably won't get an offer if there is a lot of competition if you're to be predicted AAB.

If you are predicted a B in Maths, take a look at York. When I visited I was told that standard offers for Economics were AAB (with the B in Maths) if you took Maths and AAA if you didn't take Maths

Its worth a hit if i meet the lowest requirement i say! xD - Heck the admissions person may be feeling generous (Though i doubt i'll even get an interview hehe!)
I think i got something like C1: 85 M1: 77 & C2: 60ish (>.<)
I'll probably be resitting C1 and C2 as they are the exams which the easiest to pick up marks from (I found m1 extremely tough :frown:)

I'm sure my maths teacher, will realise that it was my own cock-up considering i was getting very good marks in C2 practice papers... Once again Maths wrecks my nerves!!!
Original post by Jkizer
Its worth a hit if i meet the lowest requirement i say! xD - Heck the admissions person may be feeling generous (Though i doubt i'll even get an interview hehe!)
I think i got something like C1: 85 M1: 77 & C2: 60ish (>.<)
I'll probably be resitting C1 and C2 as they are the exams which the easiest to pick up marks from (I found m1 extremely tough :frown:)

I'm sure my maths teacher, will realise that it was my own cock-up considering i was getting very good marks in C2 practice papers... Once again Maths wrecks my nerves!!!

don't worry about it , there's no interview for York anyway so atleast that part doesn't play a role :tongue:

yeah as you'll be doing C3 and C4 aswell , you'll find C1 and C2 a walk in the park ! my parents are really pushing me to apply to Warwick haha , dunno how to convince em that it's a waste of a slot !
Reply 672
Just wondering, would not taking Economics at A levels be a disadvantage when applying to Bath?:confused:
Reply 673
Original post by lynnny8
Just wondering, would not taking Economics at A levels be a disadvantage when applying to Bath?:confused:

Not at all. Many schools don't offer it anyways so they can't discriminate against people really...
Just make sure you have maths and you learn some economics at least over the summer :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lynnny8

'Economics and Further Mathematics are highly desirable'- from the website. I didn't apply there last year because of that. i just didn't think it was worth the risk.
Reply 675
Original post by Lameesh
You can get in to LSE with
a*aa! That's my aim anyway, with city being my second choice if I don't get in :smile: (aaa required) - hopefully gonna get that a*aa!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You doing FM?
Reply 676
Original post by ayooshc
'Economics and Further Mathematics are highly desirable'- from the website. I didn't apply there last year because of that. i just didn't think it was worth the risk.

I thought FM was a must and economics was desirable.
Original post by Liamnut
I thought FM was a must and economics was desirable.

sorry that's just from bath- i don't think they're necessary anywhere, and if i had a choice, i would choose FM over econ. Bath look at them the same i think, but you'd be preferred if you had at least one of them i guess.
Reply 678
Original post by ayooshc
sorry that's just from bath- i don't think they're necessary anywhere, and if i had a choice, i would choose FM over econ. Bath look at them the same i think, but you'd be preferred if you had at least one of them i guess.

Doing both is the safest option. FM is necessary at some unis.
Original post by Liamnut
Doing both is the safest option. FM is necessary at some unis.

yep if you could you'd definitely do both. Just wondering, where is FM a necessity?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending