The Student Room Group

Can you resit aqa isa's?

Hello, I have got my GCSE grades and in Science A I got a B however in additional science I got a C and it was 9 marks off a B so I am wondering whether or not I can resit my ISA in sixth form as I got a B in the ISA but if it was to move to an A* I can easily get a B overall. Thank you in advance, help would be much appreciated as science is something that I would like to pursue a career in the future.
I had the same problem, you cannot resit ISA's, nor can they be remarked :frown:(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by chickenman
I had the same problem, you cannot resit ISA's, nor can they be remarked :frown:(

Posted from TSR Mobile
ohh damn......who told u this?
Reply 3
does anyone else have an ideas on wat I can do or if I can resit or the best option for me now. much appreciated.
Reply 4
Original post by Nick Latham
my school allows for resist... in year 11 we have the chance to do that year's one...

but can you for example I get my grade in end of year 11, then I go sixth form and do a levels and just resit an ISA so that my grade can increase from a very high C to a B
Reply 5
Original post by EXAMZ!!!
but can you for example I get my grade in end of year 11, then I go sixth form and do a levels and just resit an ISA so that my grade can increase from a very high C to a B

Even if you could resit an ISA it's highly unlikely they'll let you at sixthform as you're just one student. You're better off resitting the exam itself and getting a better grade, as this is also of a higher weighting.

What year are you going into in September and what do you want to do at A-Level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Paralove
Even if you could resit an ISA it's highly unlikely they'll let you at sixthform as you're just one student. You're better off resitting the exam itself and getting a better grade, as this is also of a higher weighting.

What year are you going into in September and what do you want to do at A-Level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

lool I've just finished year 11 and gonna start sixth form this September hopefully going to do biology, chemistry, psychology and geography
Reply 7
lool I've just finished year 11 and gonna start sixth form this September hopefully going to do biology, chemistry, psychology and geography

I only do geography out of those four but love it! Also, what are the GCSE grades you need to do those? At my sixthform you need a B in biology or chemistry to be able to do that at A-Level. Was wondering if that's why you want to resit some of your science stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I only do geography out of those four but love it! Also, what are the GCSE grades you need to do those? At my sixthform you need a B in biology or chemistry to be able to do that at A-Level. Was wondering if that's why you want to resit some of your science stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't going to resit any sciences it will actually affect my other grades was just curious if it was possible but my school said that I may be able to get in, as I got a B and C. also are you in sixth form already and how is geography...........AQA?
Reply 9
I wasn't going to resit any sciences it will actually affect my other grades was just curious if it was possible but my school said that I may be able to get in, as I got a B and C. also are you in sixth form already and how is geography...........AQA?

I am indeed! I did Environmental Studies until the summer exams, and continuing with geography, French and maths, all on AQA.

Rivers and population are compulsory topics, and our optional ones chosen were coasts and energy. I was lucky in that my school didn't do rivers at GCSE and did glaciation instead, so it was all new to me! See, my sixthform is joint with another school and do my geog at the other one! :smile:

Population was pretty interesting and you go into a lot more detail at AS than GCSE. I'd say A2 is much more interesting than AS though, particularly for me as the topics are my favourites. We're doing Plate Tectonics, weather and climate, world cities and another I can't remember!

The exam is quite intensive, well, the 2hr one. You have to do 4 Q's of 30 marks each and each section contains a 15 marks question D: I hate them but hey, we get a 40 mark one at A2!! You also have a 1hr exam about the fieldwork investigation you have to do (involved a week residential and standing in a river in the middle of march at 0 temps...)

If you've any questions, just ask! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I am indeed! I did Environmental Studies until the summer exams, and continuing with geography, French and maths, all on AQA.

Rivers and population are compulsory topics, and our optional ones chosen were coasts and energy. I was lucky in that my school didn't do rivers at GCSE and did glaciation instead, so it was all new to me! See, my sixthform is joint with another school and do my geog at the other one! :smile:

Population was pretty interesting and you go into a lot more detail at AS than GCSE. I'd say A2 is much more interesting than AS though, particularly for me as the topics are my favourites. We're doing Plate Tectonics, weather and climate, world cities and another I can't remember!

The exam is quite intensive, well, the 2hr one. You have to do 4 Q's of 30 marks each and each section contains a 15 marks question D: I hate them but hey, we get a 40 mark one at A2!! You also have a 1hr exam about the fieldwork investigation you have to do (involved a week residential and standing in a river in the middle of march at 0 temps...)

If you've any questions, just ask! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol thanks I think im gonna need you when I start geography, looked at your profile and got really jealous of those grades loool they were really good, would you say that a level geography is hard?
Reply 11
lol thanks I think im gonna need you when I start geography, looked at your profile and got really jealous of those grades loool they were really good, would you say that a level geography is hard?

Hahaaa thank you! :smile: feel free to message me about anything!! Even explaining stuff or anything or about organisation regarding A-Levels generally.

Hmm.... Because so much of it is just building on, repeating and gaining more depth in topics you've already covered, I found it easier than my other subjects. There IS a lot of content but as long as you revise/take down good notes/ask about things you're unsure of you'll be fine. You need to put the work in for the top grades as with all subjects you'll do, unlike GCSE you can't wing the exam and pass :wink: The worst bit is getting used to the exam structure and what they're looking for in your answers, eg keywords, how you write it kind of thing but your teacher should help you develop this. :smile:

I'm sure it's going to be much harder at A2 though!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Hahaaa thank you! :smile: feel free to message me about anything!! Even explaining stuff or anything or about organisation regarding A-Levels generally.

Hmm.... Because so much of it is just building on, repeating and gaining more depth in topics you've already covered, I found it easier than my other subjects. There IS a lot of content but as long as you revise/take down good notes/ask about things you're unsure of you'll be fine. You need to put the work in for the top grades as with all subjects you'll do, unlike GCSE you can't wing the exam and pass :wink: The worst bit is getting used to the exam structure and what they're looking for in your answers, eg keywords, how you write it kind of thing but your teacher should help you develop this. :smile:

I'm sure it's going to be much harder at A2 though!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh okay so I guess ill need to start revising lol, I got a B overall at GCSE but I am going to get it remarked as I was expecting an A or higher what happened was basically that in paper 3 of the gcse I got 100 (A*) in the course work I also got 100 (A*), in year 10 in unit 2 I got a B, however for some reason in unit 1 I got an embarrassing E which I do not trust and made my grade go down to a B
Reply 13
oh okay so I guess ill need to start revising lol, I got a B overall at GCSE but I am going to get it remarked as I was expecting an A or higher what happened was basically that in paper 3 of the gcse I got 100 (A*) in the course work I also got 100 (A*), in year 10 in unit 2 I got a B, however for some reason in unit 1 I got an embarrassing E which I do not trust and made my grade go down to a B

Woah, E in U1? That's so low compared to your others though?!

If you did really well other wise you will be fine anyway. You don't always have to have done geography to do it at A-Level, my school lets you! Revision wise, little and often from jan/feb will ensure you do VERY well in your exams I'm sure! Though I didn't, I started in April, got 200/200 UMS on it, but I think it's more to the fact I really enjoy the subject, and it's one I've always been good at (I count myself lucky :3).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Woah, E in U1? That's so low compared to your others though?!

If you did really well other wise you will be fine anyway. You don't always have to have done geography to do it at A-Level, my school lets you! Revision wise, little and often from jan/feb will ensure you do VERY well in your exams I'm sure! Though I didn't, I started in April, got 200/200 UMS on it, but I think it's more to the fact I really enjoy the subject, and it's one I've always been good at (I count myself lucky :3).

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol your not lucky you just try hard that's what it is no one is lucky looks like your really good and determined, also I am actually really good in geography and got a B overall so im fine with doing it for a level but I was just a little bit annoyed as to why I got an E I guess I just go for a remark as I have nothing to lose and got a really high B overall.
Reply 15
Even a B is perfectly good enough for A-Level though it does sound like you should have gotten ATLEAST an A if not an A*!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
hey, i'm in year 10 and I did my isa and just got my gcse science core results back and got a D. I only got a D because of my isa so I would've passed. Am i allowed to re sit my year 10 isa because i'm re sitting my science exam again (AQA). Also, I took foundation but I want to do higher because I want to do Biology in A level so thats really pissed me off. Anyone help?
Original post by ehod123
hey, i'm in year 10 and I did my isa and just got my gcse science core results back and got a D. I only got a D because of my isa so I would've passed. Am i allowed to re sit my year 10 isa because i'm re sitting my science exam again (AQA). Also, I took foundation but I want to do higher because I want to do Biology in A level so thats really pissed me off. Anyone help?

If you re-sit the exams then (if your school will organise it) you can also re-sit the ISA.

Quick Reply

Latest