The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zzFishstick
Sucks how some schools do different exam boards that are considered to be 'easier' than other exam boards - so the students end up with higher grades. Such as AQA being the best exam board for science but then you get people who take the OCR exams for science and get better grades because its easier. Not to mention these iGCSEs that some of you took.

right if you're implying that igcses are easier, in languages they are most definitely not. I took igcse Spanish which meant that there were no controlled assessments and I had to do all of the requirements in exams, this is obviously more difficult as in controlled assessments you can basically just memorise a lot of things and have no real knowledge or ability to recall words. Rant over :colondollar:
Original post by NinjaPandaa
right if you're implying that igcses are easier, in languages they are most definitely not. I took igcse Spanish which meant that there were no controlled assessments and I had to do all of the requirements in exams, this is obviously more difficult as in controlled assessments you can basically just memorise a lot of things and have no real knowledge or ability to recall words. Rant over :colondollar:

iGCSE's are 10x harder! iGCSE is almost AS standard, that's why they're worth more UCAS points. One of the reasons they have high pass rates is because mostly, private schools take them and they grade boundaries don't change like regular GCSEs. For example, in regular GCSE if 95% of people got 58/60 they would have to make sure that not all those people got A*s whereas in iGCSE if you get a good mark, you will always get the grade correlated with that mark, it is most definitely NOT easier.
Original post by Heytherehello
iGCSE's are 10x harder! iGCSE is almost AS standard, that's why they're worth more UCAS points. One of the reasons they have high pass rates is because mostly, private schools take them and they grade boundaries don't change like regular GCSEs. For example, in regular GCSE if 95% of people got 58/60 they would have to make sure that not all those people got A*s whereas in iGCSE if you get a good mark, you will always get the grade correlated with that mark, it is most definitely NOT easier.

yeah exactly
If I wanted to do a maths degree at top 5-10 uni's in the country would 2A* 6A 2B 1C be good enough at gcse level but I'm taking Maths, further maths, chemistry the full 2 years which I got A*'s in at gcse and a high A in phyiscs but I'm taking that to AS. I've been predicted by the school A*AA and a B at AS but I hope to do better :biggrin:
Original post by theuser77
Hi guys do you think I stand a chance for med school
English Lang a*
English lit a*
Chemistry a*
Physics *
Maths a*
Phil eth a*
A level maths a*
Ad maths a
Business studies a
Geography a
Biology a
German b
Do you think my gcse's will be considered holistically as I did an a level within the same duration of time

SIZE=1]Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that's impressive how did you manage to do a A-level in the same amount of time? I'm thinking about taking an A-level as well as the gcse do you think it's manageable? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HeyHoYolo
If I wanted to do a maths degree at top 5-10 uni's in the country would 2A* 6A 2B 1C be good enough at gcse level but I'm taking Maths, further maths, chemistry the full 2 years which I got A*'s in at gcse and a high A in phyiscs but I'm taking that to AS. I've been predicted by the school A*AA and a B at AS but I hope to do better :biggrin:

Hi say if you have B(b) what's that suppose to mean? On your gcse certificate? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maths_geek
Wow that's impressive how did you manage to do a A-level in the same amount of time? I'm thinking about taking an A-level as well as the gcse do you think it's manageable? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! I did maths AS at the same time as GCSE too and got an A in AS with pretty good UMS/UCAS points. It's definitely manageable if you schedule your revision and if you enjoy maths it's just easier for you (:

The thing is, as Jan exams are scrapped for A level it might be hardd doing 3 AS units in June along with your other GCSEs but again, schedule revision and DO PAST PAPERS!! They help looadss!:biggrin:
Original post by maths_geek
Hi say if you have B(b) what's that suppose to mean? On your gcse certificate? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

? I don't get you :smile: haha, I said that's what I got at GCSE but the A*AA and B at physics which I'll do at AS are my predicted grades for A-level :biggrin:
I just opened mine as I've been away on holiday :P I got 5A*'s, 4A's and 2B's

English literature - A*
English language - A*
History - A*
Religious studies - A*
Drama - A*
Maths - A
French - A
Geography - A
Double science - AB
Ict - B

So much better than I was expecting so I'm happy :smile:
Hey guys I need some help,

I got these grades for my GCSEs:

A*s:

English Lang
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

As:

English Literature
History
Geography
Maths
Psychology
Statistics

B:

Religious Studies

I'm really disappointed with my history grade since I got A*A*B in the modules. However, I've noticed that as soon as my History teacher stopped spoon-feeding me, I couldn't cope that well and struggled to write a decent essay. My history teacher was also my english teacher (I done my English GCSEs in year 10).

I've also noticed that I work a lot harder than the average student (I revised all year round) to get decent grades whereas some students can manage a social life as well a revision yet get amazing grades. If I had to stay in the library until 10 on most days revising to just get 4 A*s, do you really think I'd be able to get around AAAa at A-Level? Should I even bother pursuing a career in medicine with those grades?

If yes, which A-levels should I do:

Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History
Or
Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics

Do you think I'd struggle with History since I won't have a teacher spoon-feeding me everything and basically helping me write every essay? One of the sixthforms I got an offer from makes you do 3 sciences and one traditional subject and that's where I'll be going if I do History since most of my friends go there. If not, I'd be studying physics at a
Sixth-form with no one I know there. What do you think I should do?

Sorry if I asked for too much, I don't have anyone to tell this to
Reply 8490
Original post by pje1000
Maybe slightly unrelated, but i have a question (may seems obvious to some, however i am just wondering): When you apply to universities, do they see which school you did your GCSEs at, even if you changed schools for your A-levels? So if I went to school A for my GCSEs, but then went to school B for sixth form would they just see that I am currently at school B or would they see that I changed?

I ask this because at my school, my GCSE grades were something like third highest in the year, however the sixth form at which I will be attending many students gained 11+ A*'s at GCSE, so my results would not look as good when placed in the context of this school.

Yes, universities will look at your GCSE's in comparison to the rest of the school where you sat them :smile:
Thank you!
Reply 8492
Original post by HandyManMoe
Hey guys I need some help,

I got these grades for my GCSEs:

A*s:

English Lang
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

As:

English Literature
History
Geography
Maths
Psychology
Statistics

B:

Religious Studies

I'm really disappointed with my history grade since I got A*A*B in the modules. However, I've noticed that as soon as my History teacher stopped spoon-feeding me, I couldn't cope that well and struggled to write a decent essay. My history teacher was also my english teacher (I done my English GCSEs in year 10).

I've also noticed that I work a lot harder than the average student (I revised all year round) to get decent grades whereas some students can manage a social life as well a revision yet get amazing grades. If I had to stay in the library until 10 on most days revising to just get 4 A*s, do you really think I'd be able to get around AAAa at A-Level? Should I even bother pursuing a career in medicine with those grades?

If yes, which A-levels should I do:

Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History
Or
Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics

Do you think I'd struggle with History since I won't have a teacher spoon-feeding me everything and basically helping me write every essay? One of the sixthforms I got an offer from makes you do 3 sciences and one traditional subject and that's where I'll be going if I do History since most of my friends go there. If not, I'd be studying physics at a
Sixth-form with no one I know there. What do you think I should do?

Sorry if I asked for too much, I don't have anyone to tell this to

If you continue with the same hard work, then of course you'll be able to do well at A Level. However, as you'll know, it's a big step up, but saying this you'll only be studying subjects that you've chosen, so it will inevitably be more enjoyable.

Secondly, your teacher is there to help you - that's their job, so I'm sure either of those subject combinations is fine for you. If you enjoy Physics and History equally, go for the one you think you'll do better in - I would suggest this is Physics (as you did better at GCSE level).

Also, NEVER base your sixth form choice on whether or not a selection of your friends are attending. Base it on facts. And it's good to make new friends anyway!

Lastly, I wish you good luck with your future studies and hope you get where you want in life! All the best :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gracey11
I think it's because when you type in google questions related to medicine (e.g. GCSE entry requirement for medicine) often the top results are from TSR. People then go onto TSR, read a medicine thread and then want to ask a question of their own. Therefore they end up creating an account. Before they no it they are hooked and have become a recognised TSR member.

(This is just my guess... But it is how I discovered TSR!!) :biggrin:

Yeah, you're probably right, makes a lot of sense!

I discovered it when I was looking for a past paper mark scheme and someone had posted it here, then saw the links at the side and got carried away :rolleyes:
Original post by sophie238
Yeah, you're probably right, makes a lot of sense!

I discovered it when I was looking for a past paper mark scheme and someone had posted it here, then saw the links at the side and got carried away :rolleyes:

There should be a thread for how people got sucked into TSR :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Should I retake my English Language exam because I only got a B, or will the top universities look down on this or just look at the first grade that I got. I'm not even taking English for A-levels if that makes a difference.
Original post by SelinaUchiha
Hey! I did maths AS at the same time as GCSE too and got an A in AS with pretty good UMS/UCAS points. It's definitely manageable if you schedule your revision and if you enjoy maths it's just easier for you (:

The thing is, as Jan exams are scrapped for A level it might be hardd doing 3 AS units in June along with your other GCSEs but again, schedule revision and DO PAST PAPERS!! They help looadss!:biggrin:

So you only did Maths AS not A-level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CHILLI_mango
So you only did Maths AS not A-level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure if you guys might know - any of you lot heard of FSMQs? I took one this year and it's AS standard but not a full AS. Not quite sure what it's all about really but it ended up being pretty good in the end!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone doing 5 AS's next year? Worried it might be too much work :/
Original post by SweatyGoldfish
Anyone doing 5 AS's next year? Worried it might be too much work :/

Yepp i'm doing biology, chemistry, maths and economics as my choices but then my sixth form makes u do either critical thinking or general studies so yeah ill have to do 5 :frown: :frown:
im gonna do critiavl thinking, im just worried that it'll make me spend less valuable time on my other subjects,....what r u doing??

Latest