The Student Room Group

RVC Gateway offers and reviews!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by AlexRayson
Have any of you done the BTEC Animal Management and got into the Gateway Programme?

I did :smile:

And I'm in college grove for accommodation
Reply 61
Original post by lauraxc
I did :smile:

And I'm in college grove for accommodation

Awesome, hope to meet you soon. :smile:
Also, what dates have people been given by SFE for their first installment of tuition fee loan to be payed to RVC?? They've put 16/10/2013 on mine but RVC have said anyone paying fees after 4/10/2013 has to pay a late fee of £100. Anyone else got this problem??
Reply 62
Royal Veterinary College (RVC) Freshers 2013-2014 : If you search this on facebook there's a freshers group for this year :smile:
Original post by AlexRayson
Have any of you done the BTEC Animal Management and got into the Gateway Programme?

I did BTEC animal management and got in this year! You have to make syrr you have dobe the rught units as thr colleges pick abd choose what you do. I did extra units seprate to the class to meet their requirements!
Original post by TangoD
Awesome, hope to meet you soon. :smile:
Also, what dates have people been given by SFE for their first installment of tuition fee loan to be payed to RVC?? They've put 16/10/2013 on mine but RVC have said anyone paying fees after 4/10/2013 has to pay a late fee of £100. Anyone else got this problem??

Yeah mine says that date aswell? Where did you read it too! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Actually - I've just read it more thoroughly and I think this only apples to students who are actually paying te tuition fee themselves and not student finance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone I Mary B not heard from them yet since results day? I haven't, and I haven't paid anything yet?!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Original post by laurenpincombe
Actually - I've just read it more thoroughly and I think this only apples to students who are actually paying te tuition fee themselves and not student finance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks :smile: nd dont worry about accomodation, i think the post is being a bit slow, i think everywhere's sent out info packs its just a case of waiting for them :smile:
Reply 68
Heya guys, I'm thinking of applying to the gateway course this year. I'm currently re-sitting a year of A-levels, I attained ABC at A2, but wanted to improve this. I've since realised that getting straight into vet med isn't going to happen, and I meet all criteria for the RVC gateway programme. Could someone please explain to me how student finance works? I know that I can apply for student finance for the one year certificate, but does this mean I have to fund my five year vet med course myself, or can I still apply to student finance for the vet med as well as the gateway? Any help and advice would be appreciated ASAP as I want to send my application off as soon as humanely possible :P THANK YOU!!
Original post by Pie1213
Heya guys, I'm thinking of applying to the gateway course this year. I'm currently re-sitting a year of A-levels, I attained ABC at A2, but wanted to improve this. I've since realised that getting straight into vet med isn't going to happen, and I meet all criteria for the RVC gateway programme. Could someone please explain to me how student finance works? I know that I can apply for student finance for the one year certificate, but does this mean I have to fund my five year vet med course myself, or can I still apply to student finance for the vet med as well as the gateway? Any help and advice would be appreciated ASAP as I want to send my application off as soon as humanely possible :P THANK YOU!!

You apply for student finance as a 6 year course, even if you plan on moving after the year. It isnt a qualification in itself. Good luck!
Reply 70
Thank you so much this was a massive help! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, I'm going to be applying for gateway this year, and I was wondering what other courses you applied for? Because I was thinking of Veterinary Gateway and Animal Science for the rest of my choices, but then how would I write the personal statement. Do I do it towards veterinary medicine? or animal science? Do I do a veterinary one on the gateway supplementary form? If you guys could help me here, it would be much appreciated
Reply 72
I'm really struggling with my additional personal statement required for the gateway course. The stuff that RVC recommend you put in: explain why you want to become a vet;
describe any relevant work experience you have;
outline any scientific and veterinary issues that are of particular interest to you;
list any useful skills you’ve gained through extra-curricular activities or part-time employment;
if you have any family, education or personal reasons that have prevented you from fulfilling your potential (e.g. you are a carer, or have been in care, or haven't had a Chemistry teacher during your A-levels). I've already written about work experience and skills I've obtained in my UCAS statement and seeing as they use this in conjunction with that PS should I not include that? also, with anybody that's applied to gateway before, what did you write in the personal circumstances bit, without basically repeating all their criteria for the widening participation because this is the bit I'm struggling with most.. Can somebody please give me some guidance here I'm really lost as to how to write this :frown:
I think you have to decide whether you actually want to be a vet, because the gateway course is to be a vet. In which case your application should be focused completely on veterinary, you will be up against people who have always wanted to do it. It is tough competition so if you focus on animal science, your application is likely to be weaker. But if your unsure and actually do want to do animal science, then do that! Hope that helps.
Original post by Pie1213
I'm really struggling with my additional personal statement required for the gateway course. The stuff that RVC recommend you put in: explain why you want to become a vet;
describe any relevant work experience you have;
outline any scientific and veterinary issues that are of particular interest to you;
list any useful skills you’ve gained through extra-curricular activities or part-time employment;
if you have any family, education or personal reasons that have prevented you from fulfilling your potential (e.g. you are a carer, or have been in care, or haven't had a Chemistry teacher during your A-levels). I've already written about work experience and skills I've obtained in my UCAS statement and seeing as they use this in conjunction with that PS should I not include that? also, with anybody that's applied to gateway before, what did you write in the personal circumstances bit, without basically repeating all their criteria for the widening participation because this is the bit I'm struggling with most.. Can somebody please give me some guidance here I'm really lost as to how to write this :frown:

With my personal statement, I just made sure I answered all of there questions they asked and was able to expand more on the gateway form than on the ucas one. And the personal circumstances is hard for me to tell you what you should write, it is really a question you need to answer, what, if anything has possibly affected you not reaching the higher grades? For example through my GCSEs and A level a close family member of mine was terminally ill and then passed awat, so I wasn't entirely focussed on my studies. I hope that helps? If you have any more questions feel free to ask!
Reply 75
Original post by CharlotteNorman
I think you have to decide whether you actually want to be a vet, because the gateway course is to be a vet. In which case your application should be focused completely on veterinary, you will be up against people who have always wanted to do it. It is tough competition so if you focus on animal science, your application is likely to be weaker. But if your unsure and actually do want to do animal science, then do that! Hope that helps.

Basically my UCAS PS is completely vet med focussed, so a lot of the things the gateway PS wants is what I've already written. Would it be okay to leave those bits out to avoid repetition? I've got a gateway PS but I'm not sure if it's in the right format or what they're looking for :frown:
Original post by Pie1213
Basically my UCAS PS is completely vet med focussed, so a lot of the things the gateway PS wants is what I've already written. Would it be okay to leave those bits out to avoid repetition? I've got a gateway PS but I'm not sure if it's in the right format or what they're looking for :frown:

Sorry that first post was for the person above, I replied to yours underneath! :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by CharlotteNorman
Sorry that first post was for the person above, I replied to yours underneath! :smile:
Ooops I've just seen your reply to me, sorry! :colondollar: Thank you so much for your help, I really do appreciate it!
No problem! Good luck! Im really enjoying the course, but would deffinatly recommend reading an introduction to anatomy book over the summer and master some of the terms!
Reply 79
Has anybody that's applied to the Nottingham gateway course heard anything, there's nothing on their website about filling in extra forms like with the RVC gateway course? I know this thread is for RVC gateway applicants but I can't seem to find anyone else that's applied for the Nottingham one and I'm panicking about why I've not heard and whether or not there's anything I need to do which I haven't done! :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending