The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1920
Original post by LadyEcliptic
So glad I found a 2015 entry page, I'm taking a gap year this year and applying for 2015 entry instead of 2014 ^^

Hey welcome! :smile: So you are in year 12/5th year? How come? There are quite a few others on here in your same position :smile:. How did you get on with your AS exams? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1921
Actually, I just finished my A levels :smile: .. Good, and bad, AAC, C in Chemistry (few marks off a B, grrrrrr!) And A's in Biology and Technology :biggrin: I'm taking year 14 to hopefully boost my C to an A, and gain much more work experience , I never had much, as it is hard to come by over here in NI, but hopefully.... :biggrin: AS results, I got ABB :smile: I just don't feel alone now I found a 2015 thread, if all goes well I'll be a vet with all you guys in 2015 :')

Apologies for the mistake :tongue:. Well done, they are still excellent grades! Is it quite hard to get experience in N Ireland? I thought there would be farms galore like here in Scotland just a slight lack of vets though :lol:. I just done my standard grades so I'm quite pleased with my results hopefully they will be enough!

That's good - it's great to know they're are others out there like you in the same position :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well that's good haha! Yes, plenty of farms (mainly in the south!), but not many are willing to take on students, and the majority come back with, "Sorry, we have nothing for you to do." *sigh* Thankfully, I got a week evenings milking, have lambing/calving in spring, I worked 5 years at a riding school and got 4 days at Norbrook, plus 3 weeks (not full, sort of just counted up the hours?) So hopefully I can get a much broader range! I just want to be a well rounded student before I apply hehe :smile: Are you doing GCSE or AS level at the moment? (sorry, not sure what you mean by standards? What I really mean is I've had a long week, so I am tired and not thinking right haha :tongue: )

What was Norbrook like? That must be an impressive place to go and see.
Reply 1923
Original post by ABC05
Got 5 A*s and 5 As, really happy. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

4 A*s and 10 1/2 A's, so really pleased too. :smile:
Reply 1924
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
To be honest I'm really not that worried. Not because I think my results are going to be amazing (far from it... well I know I've got an A**** in French :wink: ), I just don't see the point in worrying. I'm just not thinking about results for now :dontknow:

Ahh, it sounds like you get an extra week off then. We only have Summer, Christmas and Easter breaks (summer's usually six weeks, other two are two), and half term breaks in October/November, February/March and May/June (all one week) .

I'm serious :lol: ! Back in years 8 and 9 we had theory tests in art (no idea why because even at GCSE it's 100% coursework with no exams at all) and I spent hours memorising technical terms, the names of paintings and the names of the painters and year they were painted, colour theory... I worked so hard :lol: Why can't I be this dedicated now! :lol:

My mother ain't getting a villa :lol: ! Not that I'd ever be able to afford one though when I'm still paying off my student loan *glares at Scottish people in their tuiton fee-less universities* :unimpressed: :wink: :tongue: . Apparently the LA vet that I've seen around gets paid just under £200 per hour though :eek:, so if you're looking to invest in my friend's teleport then you know where to get the money from :lol: !

So how did you get on? :biggrin:

Well the two holidays in May aren't really holidays just long weekends so only two days off at either one creating almost a week - so we are equal :wink:

Omg! :laugh: Why did you get theory tests? I have never had an Art test in my life! The only writing we did was critical work as part of our SG folio. We had an exam and I knew I did shockingly terrible yet I got a 1... how does that work out? It is good to see dedication - I have been trying my best to study what I have done over the day each night but I struggle sometimes with the extra homework and procrastinating doing other important duties. :tongue:

Hahaha! Become a Scottish citizen then :tongue:! We are way more hip than you lot across the border :lol:. I just hope I get into one of them though! Oh my, I wouldn't mind that salary! The idea of teleportation is becoming steps closer to reality... :biggrin:
Reply 1925
Well that's good haha! Yes, plenty of farms (mainly in the south!), but not many are willing to take on students, and the majority come back with, "Sorry, we have nothing for you to do." *sigh* Thankfully, I got a week evenings milking, have lambing/calving in spring, I worked 5 years at a riding school and got 4 days at Norbrook, plus 3 weeks (not full, sort of just counted up the hours?) So hopefully I can get a much broader range! I just want to be a well rounded student before I apply hehe :smile: Are you doing GCSE or AS level at the moment? (sorry, not sure what you mean by standards? What I really mean is I've had a long week, so I am tired and not thinking right haha :tongue: )

I know - finding work experience can certainly be hard sometimes! :yep: What you have sounds excellent! Lambing is amazing, and Norbrook must certainly have been interesting.

"Standard Grades" are the Scottish equivalent to GCSE's. That was the last year they were teaching them in Scotland and have now changed the curriculum to allow the pupils to sit "National 4"'s and 5's instead. I just sat them back in May. This year I am studying towards my Highers which are the equivalent to A-levels (specifically AS).

Basically:

-Standard Grades: GCSEs
-Highers: AS level
-Advanced Highers: A2 (A-level). :smile:
Reply 1926
For the interview process: which universities do not conduct a standard oral interview with a panel and do e.g. group activities, problem solving etc.? And what do these universities have in place? :smile:
Reply 1927
Original post by CanineVet

It is good to see dedication - I have been trying my best to study what I have done over the day each night but I struggle sometimes with the extra homework and procrastinating doing other important duties. :tongue:

I do this too but I have a notebook for each subject, so when I come home I write out the notes I did each day. It can be a lot of work sometimes especially when i have homework too :frown: but it really helps me to understand things better :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1928
Hi!! I finished my vet work experience last week and it was amazing!! I thought it might put me off veterinary but it actually made me want to be a vet even more haha.
I also got my GCSE results yesterday and did so much better than I expected, as I got 9A*s and 3As, I'm so happy.

I'm still unsure whether to do medicine or veterinary? I enjoy both of them a lot, need to hurry up and decide because if I want to be a vet I need to crack on with a ton of work experience:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Heeeeeey fellow Vet hopefuls! Really need some advice to be honest. I got my GCSE results and they're less than satisfactory to what an applicant should get. Really regret not putting more effort but will do for A Levels! GCSE grades: 1 A*, 3As and 7 Bs. The sciences were all B's but I'm hoping to remark Biology coursework to get an A overall hopefully. Was wondering whether these grades are good enough for Veterinary Medicine? Or whether I should do the Gateway programme at the RVC which has lower entry requirements or do the degree as a graduate? Also I was thinking of possibly taking a gap year to bring my Chemistry grade up to an A and get more work experience..good idea? I am so confused and feel like my school has let me down in some ways. Thank you in advance .
Reply 1930
Original post by SklIsMentalAbuse
Heeeeeey fellow Vet hopefuls! Really need some advice to be honest. I got my GCSE results and they're less than satisfactory to what an applicant should get. Really regret not putting more effort but will do for A Levels! GCSE grades: 1 A*, 3As and 7 Bs. The sciences were all B's but I'm hoping to remark Biology coursework to get an A overall hopefully. Was wondering whether these grades are good enough for Veterinary Medicine? Or whether I should do the Gateway programme at the RVC which has lower entry requirements or do the degree as a graduate? Also I was thinking of possibly taking a gap year to bring my Chemistry grade up to an A and get more work experience..good idea? I am so confused and feel like my school has let me down in some ways. Thank you in advance .

Hello! :smile:
I was very nearly in your situation (was borderline A/B throughout the year in science) so did have a plan on what to do if I got Bs- I was going to retake them whilst doing my A Levels and hopefully push my grade up to an A. If you could get a remark, I think that would be a good idea. I dont really know anything about the Gateway programme, but you definitely need to double check that you're applicable for it as I believe its quite strict. Are you talking about a gap year between GCSEs and A level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
They are great grades! Bearing in mind London only consider these and not your AS results (plus, as long as you are predicted 3 A's and get get enough BMAT results :smile: )
What did you get in maths? Bristol rejected me as I only had a (very high) B at GCSE, even though I was offering it at A level!! And they had never specified this on their page! The Unis can be really sneaky and they will find any way to reject you apparently! (Not all are like this, but honestly, feedback from can be good, and pretty bad that it is no help whatsoever!)
Also, gateway programs are for when you don't have Chemistry or Biology A level (this varies between Uni's!)
Have you looked at Year 0 in Liverpool? You don't take A levels, (assuming you haven't already?) you apply and you do a year of science, then you move on to Vet med :smile: I think it guarantees your entry into it, but they get about 3000 applications for it!
My school let me down too, I constantly asked for help and never got it! Plus, they didn't want me to do Veterinary neither, they made me drop maths at AS instead of letting me dropped technology, then tried to push me into Engineering or Medicine. Ridiculous, so I know how you feel!
Gap years are great, though planning them is a pain!!

Thanks for the response :smile:. I don't think my grades are the best for the normak route of doing the BVetMed considering lots of people get the minimum required of 5 As especially in the sciences. Also I achieved a B in Maths, I know I won't ever get anything higher than that because I achieved this grade at the 3rd attempt. Are you going onto a Veterinary Medicine degree now? Sorry to hear about the rejection..what other grades did you get at A Levels and GCSE's if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by ABC05
Hello! :smile:
I was very nearly in your situation (was borderline A/B throughout the year in science) so did have a plan on what to do if I got Bs- I was going to retake them whilst doing my A Levels and hopefully push my grade up to an A. If you could get a remark, I think that would be a good idea. I dont really know anything about the Gateway programme, but you definitely need to double check that you're applicable for it as I believe its quite strict. Are you talking about a gap year between GCSEs and A level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the response! If my Biology grades does go up I'll retake Chemistry only, if not I'll retake both of the sciences during a gap year between A Level and University :smile:. Does it seem likely my Biology grade could go up..only 3 UMS off an A :'(
Reply 1933
Thanks for the response! If my Biology grades does go up I'll retake Chemistry only, if not I'll retake both of the sciences during a gap year between A Level and University :smile:. Does it seem likely my Biology grade could go up..only 3 UMS off an A :'(

Pretty good chance thats only like 2 marks, did you do aqa?:smile:
Original post by Whooh1
Pretty good chance thats only like 2 marks, did you do aqa?:smile:

Are you sure it's only 2 marks? I was thinking it was 6 lol. I did OCR 21st Century :smile:. If I were to re-take do you know whether OCR or AQA is the harder exam board?
Reply 1935
Are you sure it's only 2 marks? I was thinking it was 6 lol. I did OCR 21st Century :smile:. If I were to re-take do you know whether OCR or AQA is the harder exam board?

Sorry assumed you were aqa, so don't know but UMS are usually higher than raw marks. I have only done AQA but you have to do a controlled ISA, did you do multiple exams? Couldnt you just retake one unit for each science?
Original post by Whooh1
Sorry assumed you were aqa, so don't know but UMS are usually higher than raw marks. I have only done AQA but you have to do a controlled ISA, did you do multiple exams? Couldnt you just retake one unit for each science?

I did controlled assessment similar to ISAs. I don't know, will ask but exams are less probable to get re-done than getting a remark I think.
If you guys are worried about work experience then try to sort out some lambing. Some can put you up for the week/longer and it really shows you're willing to get hands on (anyone who's done it will get that!).
The surgeries are good to have but definitely try and do more than one. They all function differently. Try and get a unique piece of experience as well! Exotics, wildlife etc.
Good luck with your applications!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1938
Has anyone booked or done work experience in a lab?
Reply 1939
Original post by Whooh1
Is anyone considering doing a extended project or critical thinking. My school told us when we return we would have the opportunity, would it be much benefit to a uni application? Anybody else going to do either?

Sorry for the late reply but I'm doing an EPQ at the moment on Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome in dogs and cats. I'm finding it really interesting - much more so than I thought I would! - and it's also got me a lot more interested in research than I was before. It also gives you a headstart at interview stage as you are knowledgeable about a particular subject, should they ask, and in a situation like that talking about something which you are confident about could be a big help! As for critical thinking, I think that some of the questions in the BMAT have a critical thinking-y feel to them so it could be useful for that? But obviously A-levels are more important and it would maybe be good to make sure that you're coping with them first! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending