The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RSmith1007
I don't got anything for my results, it would be nice but I'm honestly not too bothered about it and am just reasonably happy with my results :biggrin:

Yeah I took the same attitude but they still gave me money anyway xD. And so am I :biggrin:

I think it was because these results are the best my intermediate family has ever had, or my dad just went a bit crazy
[QUOTE=adi19956;44182460]To anyone who can afford the one off price of a phone, getting a phone SIM free then getting a SIM only contract is a lot cheaper in the long run. As well as that you aren't tied in to any 24 month contract when your phone breaks.
I'm on Three's 1 month rolling £10/month contract with 300 minutes, unlimited texts and 1GB of data although I'm not sure if they still do this.
And anyone looking for a cheap smartphone, get the Nexus 4 or the Nexus 5 when it comes out. It's usually the best phone in terms of specs, and it's the only phone that matches the iPhone for looks, but Google heavily subsidises it from Google Play so it's ridiculously cheap, £279 at launch about 9 months ago vs the iPhone £500+

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Explain a bit about this - I'm a bit of a phone noob. The last phone I had was a Sony Ericsson Walkman phone thing, then I lost it on the train and brought a nokia brick.
Reply 1542
Original post by Robbie242
Explain a bit about this - I'm a bit of a phone noob. The last phone I had was a Sony Ericsson Walkman phone thing, then I lost it on the train and brought a nokia brick.

Explain which part? I said quite a lot :tongue:

Original post by adi19956
Explain which part? I said quite a lot :tongue:

Sorry I bolded something but it didn't come out

To anyone who can afford the one off price of a phone, getting a phone SIM free then getting a SIM only contract is a lot cheaper in the long run. As well as that you aren't tied in to any 24 month contract when your phone breaks.

explain
ikr, I didn't expect it at all, funny thing is my brother burst into the room, woke me up just before my alarm did and slowly started counting money - I didn't know when it was gonna stop LOL

I'm guessing he's pretty rich.. :tongue:
Original post by Endless Blue
I'm guessing he's pretty rich.. :tongue:

Nah not really, :teehee: he lives in Canada atm, hes kinda retired lool, does some part time work but not much
Reply 1546
Sorry I bolded something but it didn't come out

explain

Well basically I did some calculations
Eg (these are real today's prices)
Galaxy S4 on Three, cheapest £33/month for 24 months. 24 x 33 = £792

SIM free (is no contract, just a phone) from Amazon for £440 (and that's the 4G version as well). So you buy that then get a SIM only contract from Three. This unlimited data 1 month rolling contract looks good, £12.90/ month.
So 12.9x24 + 440 = £749.60, cheaper than on contract. Plus now you have the 4G version and because your contract is one month rolling you can change to a better contract at any time you like, eg if you're not using more than 1GB of data you can change down to a cheaper option and save even more. This works for pretty much every phone on every contract on every operator, when I last bought a phone I did 10s of these calculations.
The only catch is you need that £440 upfront to buy a phone from Amazon.

Well basically I did some calculations
Eg (these are real today's prices)
Galaxy S4 on Three, cheapest £33/month for 24 months. 24 x 33 = £792

SIM free (is no contract, just a phone) from Amazon for £440 (and that's the 4G version as well). So you buy that then get a SIM only contract from Three. This unlimited data 1 month rolling contract looks good, £12.90/ month.
So 12.9x24 + 440 = £749.60, cheaper than on contract. Plus now you have the 4G version and because your contract is one month rolling you can change to a better contract at any time you like, eg if you're not using more than 1GB of data you can change down to a cheaper option and save even more. This works for pretty much every phone on every contract on every operator, when I last bought a phone I did 10s of these calculations.
The only catch is you need that £440 upfront to buy a phone from Amazon.

Oh I've got £440, I don't want a Samsung S4 though, I'm pretty set on getting an iphone so out of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0099UK4JE/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
which follows your ''cheaper'' plan?

thanks m8
Reply 1548
Oh I've got £440, I don't want a Samsung S4 though, I'm pretty set on getting an iphone so out of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0099UK4JE/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
which follows your ''cheaper'' plan?

thanks m8

Just be careful you get an unlocked one/ locked to the network you'll use

Just be careful you get an unlocked one/ locked to the network you'll use

The original homepage for iphone 5 has a SIM FREE one going for £500 which is a bit cheaper than the apple website - considering money is not a problem for me would buying this one then following your plan be considered worthwhile. I don't call/text all too often atm so not being on a contract initially may help.

the link http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-iPhone-16GB-Black-Free/dp/B0099UK4JE

does that fit your description?
Reply 1550
The original homepage for iphone 5 has a SIM FREE one going for £500 which is a bit cheaper than the apple website - considering money is not a problem for me would buying this one then following your plan be considered worthwhile. I don't call/text all too often atm so not being on a contract initially may help.

the link http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-iPhone-16GB-Black-Free/dp/B0099UK4JE

does that fit your description?

Yeah, looks good. I advise a contract from Three or Talk Mobile as they seem to be the cheapest

Yeah, looks good. I advise a contract from Three or Talk Mobile as they seem to be the cheapest

and I can sign up to any contract after I've had the phone, I'm not locked to a contract when I buy one right? (sorry I'm an absolute noob)

thanks for the clarification

also does it start as pay as you go or is there no phone at all until a contract
dw too much about a levels i got CEE with 57.9% overall attendance and i got into uni
Original post by wag12k12dunkno
dw too much about a levels i got CEE with 57.9% overall attendance and i got into uni

but u got into Aber rather than Cambridge or Warwick, I don't aim that low
Reply 1554
and I can sign up to any contract after I've had the phone, I'm not locked to a contract when I buy one right? (sorry I'm an absolute noob)

thanks for the clarification

also does it start as pay as you go or is there no phone at all until a contract

You can sign up to any contract, but you might want to keep your current number for convenience reasons. For this reason I recommend buying a contract inside an actual shop. See how to keep your number here http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/telephone/phonoswitch2
You're locked into a contract for the contract's length, so if it says "1 month" you're legally bound to pay them for 1 month, same with 12 months etc. (Although you can terminate them early, but this usually incurs a fee)
When you buy a SIM only phone you have no service on that phone until you put a SIM card in it (obviously you will get WiFi)
It's worth noting here that when you get a contract, you have to ask for an iPhone 5 SIM aka a Nano SIM card. You can get a SIM card cutter, but it's easier to ask for the Nano SIM.
Also worth noting that if you ask to keep your old number you will be without a phone for a few days whilst they sort it out, rebooting the phone helps.

Original post by CharlieBoardman
Sudden burst of motivation and change of mind regarding my university choices. Going for Nat Sci at Cambridge, not physics at Oxford. The race begins.

Good choice
Original post by CharlieBoardman
Sudden burst of motivation and change of mind regarding my university choices. Going for Nat Sci at Cambridge, not physics at Oxford. The race begins.

Awesome! Good luck, added! :biggrin:

Original post by TomT95
Hi,
For medicine:
AS Subjects: Biology, Chemistry, German and Mathematics
A2 Subjects: Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics
University choice: TBA

:hat2:

Done! :biggrin:

Original post by Darth_Newdar
Course: Classics
AS subjects: Business Studies (A), English Literature (A), History (A), Latin (A)
A2 subjects: English Literature, History, Latin
University choices: Durham, Exeter, KCL, Oxford, UCL

Thanks!

Added! :biggrin:

Original post by NedStark
For Economics:

NedStark
AS Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Phyiscs, EPQ
A2 Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics
University choices: Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL, Bristol/Bath

Extra points for putting it into (almost) exactly the correct format :yy: Added! :biggrin:
Original post by usycool1
Please no :mad:

All their adjectives annoy me. :tongue:

Don't worry that's agreed! Not wanting to sound above myself, it seems quite imature
Original post by Hijaabii <3
hmmm yea..im pretty much limited to London and surrounding unis though

#doomed :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with who said too much on 1 Uni. But you could still go for Imperial, and kCL perhaps?
Original post by fizzypoppop
ah okay thanks,so basically if i get a high prediction for A2 say an A in chemistry, do you think unis would be able to oversee the fact i got a c in as? so are predictions kind of more important than your AS results?

I'm not to sure, I'd probably say that they give them equal weighting perhaps

Latest