The Student Room Group

The Italian Football Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cable
Shame about the result. Poor from Abbiati, when he gifted PSV a goal.

But I gotta give credit to PSV for having a real go at Milan. Milan should have been better in possession and been more clinical.

How did the sociedad game go?

I didn't get to watch either annoyingly. Sociedad won 2-0 though with world class finishes. Griezmann scored an amazing volley and the second goal was pretty good too.
Reply 781
Original post by jam277
I didn't get to watch either annoyingly. Sociedad won 2-0 though with world class finishes. Griezmann scored an amazing volley and the second goal was pretty good too.

Ok.

How come you didn't get to watch either game?
Original post by Cable
Ok.

How come you didn't get to watch either game?

Ended up going to my mates house to chill.
Reply 783
Original post by jam277
Ended up going to my mates house to chill.

Alright, cool.

The Milan game was quite good tbh. Like I said, PSV give it a real go and threatened Milan quite well. I was quite impressed by Milan's ability to hang in there and nick a goal. But unfortunately, Abbiati's mistake cost Milan a victory.

Milan played some good footie at times and should have been more clinical with their chances. Also, they should have kept the ball better.

But I guess a draw was a fair result. I was impressed with Emmanuelson at LB for Milan. And De Jong was very good too.

All in all, this was a good game to prepare Milan for their first Serie A match.

Who do you think will come second between Napoli and Milan?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Cable
Alright, cool.

The Milan game was quite good tbh. Like I said, PSV give it a real go and threatened Milan quite well. I was quite impressed by Milan's ability to hang in there and nick a goal. But unfortunately, Abbiati's mistake cost Milan a victory.

Milan played some good footie at times and should have been more clinical with their chances. Also, they should have kept the ball better.

But I guess a draw was a fair result. I was impressed with Emmanuelson at LB for Milan. And De Jong was very good too.

All in all, this was a good game to prepare Milan for their first Serie A match.

Who do you think will come second between Napoli and Milan?

I guess it's a pre-season friendly for Milan, they should dispatch of them in the second leg hopefully.

I think Milan tbh. I'd say that napoli probably have more experience and possibly talent in the first 11. But Milan won't need too much gelling time, had a young team that struggled initially but ended the season pretty well and are used to the serie A more with a manager that I'd say is as good as benitez and used to serie A. They'll challenge for the scudetto but juve will have it wrapped up by mid april.

Where do you think inter will finish? Roma are selling key players so I don't think they'll do great. Haven't seen lazio so far, udinese are udinese as long as di natale is alive.
AS Roma is my Italian Team, (I'm English) because I love players like De Rossi, Lamela, Destro and of course Francesco Totti. And they play lovely football, even though they can't defend very well. Top 5 this year I reckon! :smile:
Reply 786
Original post by jam277
I guess it's a pre-season friendly for Milan, they should dispatch of them in the second leg hopefully.

I think Milan tbh. I'd say that napoli probably have more experience and possibly talent in the first 11. But Milan won't need too much gelling time, had a young team that struggled initially but ended the season pretty well and are used to the serie A more with a manager that I'd say is as good as benitez and used to serie A. They'll challenge for the scudetto but juve will have it wrapped up by mid april.

Don't be surprised if Juventus have it wrapped up by March. So much quality in their squad, especially with Tevez coming in.

It will likely be tight between Milan and Napoli, assuming Benitez gets the best out of his players. But Milan is more likely to get 2nd place as the players have already gelled together while it may take time for Benitez and his players to gel together as a unit.

Where do you think inter will finish? Roma are selling key players so I don't think they'll do great. Haven't seen lazio so far, udinese are udinese as long as di natale is alive.

I am really worried about Inter. Last season, they were a shambles. It was that bad. They needed to sign a lot of good/quality players to challenge for 3rd place this season. But they haven't signed any players of real quality. Campagnaro is probably the best player they've signed so far, which is not good enough (although he is a good CB). They need quality strikers, wingers, quality CMs etc. But their financial struggles has made it hard to sign quality players.

But who knows? Mazzari might work miracles and make the best out of what he's got. Hopefully, he can do ok with his strikers (e.g. Icardi), improve the chemistry in the midfield and improve their defence. He needs to coach and integrate the youths very well.

I don't see Inter finishing higher than 6th.
Reply 787
Original post by DanieleRosato
AS Roma is my Italian Team, (I'm English) because I love players like De Rossi, Lamela, Destro and of course Francesco Totti. And they play lovely football, even though they can't defend very well. Top 5 this year I reckon! :smile:

De Rossi is such a boss. I love him. No homo.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Cable
De Rossi is such a boss. I love him. No homo.

Haha, I like how you edited the comment just to add 'no homo' :tongue:
Reply 789
Original post by The Assassin
Haha, I like how you edited the comment just to add 'no homo' :tongue:

Haha :tongue:
Reply 790
Milan :smile:
Luca Toni putting Milan to the sword at the moment. Not a great display at the moment from the Rossoneri.
Reply 792
Original post by WhatamIdoing
Luca Toni putting Milan to the sword at the moment. Not a great display at the moment from the Rossoneri.

****ing $***e from Milan today. Absolute $***e. Balotelli was very frustrating to watch today. He was clearly hallucinating that he was in a swimming pool the entire time rather than on a football pitch. Obviously he had a few moments of brillance but his constant giving away of possession was annoying.

I don't know whether Allegri had done his homework and told the fullbacks not to allow any crosses to Toni or not. If he did tell them about it, Constant did a $***e job at blocking crosses.

Milan's defending is really not good enough. PSV gave them lots of trouble on Tuesday and now, Verona did the same.

Allegri's got lots of work to do.

There was a penalty claim in the last four mins and I didn't see it clearly. Was it a penalty? It looked like one but since Balo had been diving for most of the game, the ref clearly didn't want to give him the benefit of the doubt.
(edited 10 years ago)
Annoyed with Allegri. He keeps playing defensively and has the side sitting back against **** teams. Wouldn't care too much to see Milan flop/do badly so he ends up getting sacked (okay, a bit far). But he really has to start realising that he's running a big club and have/try and make the players at least act like they have some sort of desire and ambition.

I like Milan tbh so I don't want to see them do badly...

^Not sure if he did his homework either.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Cable
****ing $***e from Milan today. Absolute $***e. Balotelli was very frustrating to watch today. He was clearly hallucinating that he was in a swimming pool the entire time rather than on a football pitch. Obviously he had a few moments of brillance but his constant giving away of possession was annoying.

I don't know whether Allegri had done his homework and told the fullbacks not to allow any crosses to Toni or not. If he did tell them about it, Constant did a $***e job at blocking crosses.

Milan's defending is really not good enough. PSV gave them lots of trouble on Tuesday and now, Verona did the same.

Allegri's got lots of work to do.

There was a penalty claim in the last four mins and I didn't see it clearly. Was it a penalty? It looked like one but since Balo had been diving for most of the game, the ref clearly didn't want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

The claim at the end wasn't really a strong shout, but didn't stop Balo from picking up a booking in protest. His perpetual dropping to the floor was pretty annoying. Seeing Robinho still play for AC Milan confuses me; he is so, so bad. Idk why Constant/Emanuelson got the nod over MdS at LB. (injury? idk)
It's happened for the last 2 seasons though, the slow start. I expect they'll be up and running in no time and I'm sure Allegri will guide them to the CL places.
Agreed that they need to work on bringing in some quality defensive reinforcement, particularly at CB. The void left by Thiago Silva's departure really hasn't been adequately filled. Not sure Matias Silvestre is the man either.
Would've liked to see Saponara play this one too; Montolivo was pretty ineffectual, limited to mostly long range shooting.
Inter have no incisiveness in the final third. Icardi is looking decent though. Oh and why does alvarez play? He's ****ing ****e
Lazio play Udinese today, Udinese lost 3-1 against a side from the Czech Republic in the Europa League, but Lazio has suffered the horrid loss against Juve, I don't want Biava or Dias playing today they can;'t deal with fast players, it was defensive error which lead us to lost 4-0.

Here's my line up

----------Marchetti----------
Cavanda--Novaretti--Cana--Radu
Cavendera--Biglia
Ledesma--Hernanes--Lulic
-----------Klose------------

Lotito we need a new defender and a new striker, we tried to offer 300k for a Yilmaz loan

double-facepalm1.jpg
Reply 797
Original post by jam277
Inter have no incisiveness in the final third. Icardi is looking decent though. Oh and why does alvarez play? He's ****ing ****e

Watched the 2nd half. Great win for Inter.

I like the 3atb set up Mazzari has instilled so far and the way Inter were using it in the game. Much better from them than last season.

You were right that there wasn't enough incisiveness in the final 3rd. But they did just about enough in the end.

What impresses me the most was that Inter were generally solid defensively. Last season, they kept leaking goals game after game.

I know Genoa weren't amazing but it's a confidence boosting victory for Inter, which is a good thing.

Forza Inter!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Cable
Watched the 2nd half. Great win for Inter.

I like the 3atb set up Mazzari has instilled so far and the way Inter were using it in the game. Much better from them than last season.

You were right that there wasn't enough incisiveness in the final 3rd. But they did just about enough in the end.

What impresses me the most was that Inter were generally solid defensively. Last season, they kept leaking goals game after game.

I know Genoa weren't amazing but it's a confidence boosting victory for Inter, which is a good thing.

Forza Inter!

I still think that the injury crisis didn't help them too much, defensively they were a shambles when half the squad got injured.

Nice to see jonathan doing well going forward but he got caught out badly once/twice in the second half. Guarin showed a few bursts too.

I'd like to see kovacic start in place of alvarez, they generally looked composed when he was on the ball. Team still looks rather unspectacular though. Palacio also continuing his form from last season which is nice.
Reply 799
Original post by jam277
I still think that the injury crisis didn't help them too much, defensively they were a shambles when half the squad got injured.

It didn't help but I still think Strama should have done better to fix their defence. Even against weak relegation candidates, Inter were still having nightmares defensively. It simply wasn't good enough for a big club like Inter. Even worse was that Inter were also terrible going forward under Strama (barring a few troll wins every now and then).

Nice to see jonathan doing well going forward but he got caught out badly once/twice in the second half. Guarin showed a few bursts too.

Yeah, I thought Jon's performance was decent overall. But I suppose he and Naga could be better defensively. Guarin looked ok but he still hogs the ball a bit too much for my liking sometimes.

I'd like to see kovacic start in place of alvarez, they generally looked composed when he was on the ball.

I'd rather start Kovacic over Cambiasso. He's past it now imo. Alvarez might be frustrating sometimes but he still does some good things during matches and puts in effort. Cambo offers next to nothing these days. But he's still a legend, don't get me wrong.

Team still looks rather unspectacular though. Palacio also continuing his form from last season which is nice.

Yeah, it's going to take time for Inter to be top class again after their terrible time last season. But who knows? Mazzari might work miracles.

And I agree about Palacio. Very important player for Inter. I also liked Icardi when he came on. He wasn't amazing but he made a difference for Inter in that he played like a proper no.9. Shame that Inter's crossing was generally terrible, otherwise Icardi may have had even more chances.

Quick Reply

Latest