The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sweet_gyal97
Yepp i'm doing biology, chemistry, maths and economics as my choices but then my sixth form makes u do either critical thinking or general studies so yeah ill have to do 5 :frown: :frown:
im gonna do critiavl thinking, im just worried that it'll make me spend less valuable time on my other subjects,....what r u doing??

I wanted to do Further Maths, Maths, Economics and Philosophy, but I went into college to enrol the other day and the teacher spent like half and hour convincing me to do physics as well so I just agreed to try it :s-smilie:
Original post by CHILLI_mango
So you only did Maths AS not A-level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah sorry should've said that. Yeah so far only AS. I'm doing A2 next year in year 12 (:
Original post by SweatyGoldfish
Anyone doing 5 AS's next year? Worried it might be too much work :/

Hey! Check my thread! It's about 5 AS' so it might help you (:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2441910
Original post by sweet_gyal97
Yepp i'm doing biology, chemistry, maths and economics as my choices but then my sixth form makes u do either critical thinking or general studies so yeah ill have to do 5 :frown: :frown:
im gonna do critiavl thinking, im just worried that it'll make me spend less valuable time on my other subjects,....what r u doing??

I'm doing the same subjects as you!:biggrin: And my school is making me do 5 too. Originally I was doing further maths as a 5th but it'll be too much so i'm doing an EPQ instead along with the other subjects you're doing. Would love to know how you get on!(:
Original post by gracey11
There should be a thread for how people got sucked into TSR :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a really good idea actually! What forum would it go in though? :holmes:
I've heard that doing an EPQ is a good idea and looks really good for universities, but can someone please explain to me what EPQ actually entails? Thanks :smile:
Reply 8506
Original post by Heytherehello
I've heard that doing an EPQ is a good idea and looks really good for universities, but can someone please explain to me what EPQ actually entails? Thanks :smile:

Supposedly it's a good thing to do for an English type subjects, but not sciences or maths?

I think it's basically researching a question on a subject of your choice, writing a few thousand word report thing discussing it, then delivering a 10+ min presentation to a group of people about it. That's what I've heard anyway :smile:
Can i ask? Is: A* Eng lit, A* french, A Maths, A History, A Philosophy, A Biology, A Latin, B Physics, B Eng Lang good? So overall 2A*s, 5As and 2Bs (Including 4 igcse's)
Is that a good set of results because i feel quite
disappointed
Basically, I was supposed to be attending a private school where I achieved a 50% scholarship, but due to financial reasons, it would be difficult (not impossible) to send me there. I received my GCSEs this week and achieved 14A*s and want to take Spanish, Maths, Chemistry and Biology for A-Level (I dont mind taking IB either) and was wondering whether good sixth forms such as St Olaves, tiffins, etc, or private schools that can give me a good scholarship, e.g. city of london, epsom college, reigate grammar, etc would still consider me?

Also if anyone could give me good grammar schools in south east england/central london, it would really help!

thanks

x
Reply 8509
Original post by radhikagulati
Basically, I was supposed to be attending a private school where I achieved a 50% scholarship, but due to financial reasons, it would be difficult (not impossible) to send me there. I received my GCSEs this week and achieved 14A*s and want to take Spanish, Maths, Chemistry and Biology for A-Level (I dont mind taking IB either) and was wondering whether good sixth forms such as St Olaves, tiffins, etc, or private schools that can give me a good scholarship, e.g. city of london, epsom college, reigate grammar, etc would still consider me?

Also if anyone could give me good grammar schools in south east england/central london, it would really help!

thanks

x

This : http://www.goodschoolsguide.co.uk/help-and-advice/school-types/grammar-selective-schools/321/where-to-find-a-state-grammar-school

Gives a list of all the regions in the UK with Grammar schools.

There's quite a few in Kent - I am unsure whether this would be too far though?

It might be worth checking out: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/leaguetables/9822251/Top-100-secondary-schools-by-GCSE-results-2012.html

As the second one is in the south east...

Hope this helps - unfortunately I don't know about scholarships, sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Heytherehello
Can i ask? Is: A* Eng lit, A* french, A Maths, A History, A Philosophy, A Biology, A Latin, B Physics, B Eng Lang good? So overall 2A*s, 5As and 2Bs (Including 4 igcse's)
Is that a good set of results because i feel quite
disappointed

Thats great results way better than i did you shouldnt feel disappointed because igcse are harder than gcses i did worse than you and im not disappointed with the results i got
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8512
Original post by ninjawatermelon
I just opened mine as I've been away on holiday :P I got 5A*'s, 4A's and 2B's

English literature - A*
English language - A*
History - A*
Religious studies - A*
Drama - A*
Maths - A
French - A
Geography - A
Double science - AB
Ict - B

So much better than I was expecting so I'm happy :smile:

Well done! :biggrin:
Original post by sophie238
Wow, well done! I haven't made up my mind yet, but I really like New and Hertford. However the more I try to decide, the more I change my mind completely! Oriel seems like an amazing college, it's in my top three actually, and apparently a lot of people in Oxford say that if they weren't at their own college, they would have liked to have gone to Oriel. All the other colleges look great too though.

I've never actually been to Oxford, only Cambridge (to Churchill College on a school trip), but after looking into it Oxford actually appeals to me more. :smile:

See if you can get a tour, my school trip there was great. They have this tradition in the dining hall where if you want to get to the other side of a table, you just climb over it. It's hilarious! :biggrin:
Original post by SelinaUchiha
I'm doing the same subjects as you!:biggrin: And my school is making me do 5 too. Originally I was doing further maths as a 5th but it'll be too much so i'm doing an EPQ instead along with the other subjects you're doing. Would love to know how you get on!(:

ohh im thinking of doing the EPQ in year 13 instead of A2 critical thinking....yay thats awesome we're doing the same subjects!! i did GCSE economics so hopefully it'll be easier...yeah i'll let you know how I get on and you too let me know!!:smile::smile:
I wanted to do Further Maths, Maths, Economics and Philosophy, but I went into college to enrol the other day and the teacher spent like half and hour convincing me to do physics as well so I just agreed to try it :s-smilie:

ahaha if they spent so long then they must really think that you will do well in it!!! :smile::smile:
Original post by BenAssirati
What is with EVERYONE wanting to do medicine?

I feel lonely, with my aims at Philosophy :frown:

I am also not a medic - I'm a linguist!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone bought their revision guides yet for As??
congratulations on every ones GCSE Grades!! Look forward to starting AS, its going to be a long year.

If anyone need A-Level tuition contact me, I got A*AAB in Geo,Bio,Chem and Phy.
Anyone doing 5 AS's next year? Worried it might be too much work :/

I am - I'm doing Spanish, French, English Language, History and Dance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest