The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2080
Original post by harrybithell196
God that will be busy! Unlucky! My year is split up into different classes for first lesson where we get our timetables and like a welcome introduction sort of thing. I want a routine too! I hate sleeping in because then I have hardly any daytime left and just spend my hours updating this thread. I lead a very fulfilling life :biggrin:

I wish I had something like that. Although to be fair, we kind of did that on our second taster day, which was more of an induction/intro day. We just got to doss around for 7 hours. It was such a good day. I'm the same man, when I'm not busy I sleep at 4am and wake up at 12pm. I get so annoyed with myself. I can force myself up if I have plans, but if not then I just stay in bed and it winds me up. -.-
Original post by Infinity_4652
Wow!! Thats a lot of money on travel! Is this what its like in all villages in england??

The london transport network can sometimes be absolutely ridiculous.
But i have been here for 11 years now, so im used to it.

I hate travelling by tube when its crowded, especially in the summer! I always get squashed! -_-
Buses are annoying when they get delayed or when theres traffic.
In leyton (where my college is), theres always traffic - so this is going to be annoying for the next 2 years.

I pay £700 this year for transport. :sigh: Rural England Sucks
Original post by RagaZ
What do u even do on enrolment day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

- they check your gcses to make sure they meet the entry requirements
- they discuss with you your A level options and finalise them
- you get your ID card

Original post by SophF_rth
This isn't even because I live in a villiage. This is without the cost of petrol to the station. Even if I lived next to a station I would have to spend the same amount. It's just annoying :tongue:

That's true, where did you live before? :smile:

Yeah it's horrid! Generally why I try to to take the tube. And there is so much traffic when you're on the busses which is what I don't get so much here. That will not be fun at all!

Btw, how was your enrolment day thing? :smile:

It really is annoying, one of the many things you just cant avoid!

Well... before i came to london, i was living in mauritius. I left there when i was 7 and never went back.

I really do wonder what london would be like without buses! Worst chaos ever!!

My enrolment day went really well, i am really happy with my subject choices.
But the college still dont know i am resitting the year, i will have to tell them eventually.
What about yours??

Original post by Bluffroom

Wow!! :eek:
Who charges you this much money? Im guessing its either arriva or first??
(edited 10 years ago)

I feel your pain. I've (read: my parents have) been paying about £300-£400, perhaps even more, per year on buses since Year 7. That's set to increase massively as, for some reason, Stagecoach now classify me as an adult despite the fact that legally I'm a child until October next year. :mad: So I imagine we'll also be paying about £700 or so. And even then the buses aren't that great - they're rarely on time, often smell, are generally full to the brim with elderly people (because for some reason I don't get a private school bus whereas the vast majority of people in my school do), slow, stuffy... They can't even be bothered to put a shelter at my bus stop so I'm often soaked. I would cycle to school but it's about 12 miles away so I'd be quite out of breath by the end of it, and probably late for school.

Ah well. Only two more years of this, I guess.
Original post by emcat
I would imagine it depends on whether you're staying on at your secondary school or going to new school or college.
I'm staying on at my secondary school so I had to go and sign in and find out my new form group. Then I had to fill out a form with my personal details and write which subjects I was planning on taking and when. After that I had to speak to a member of staff so they could approve my choices.

I'm going to my school's sixth form but it is separate from my school and forms part(campus) of a college.I can't take the 4 ASs I am put down for due to timetable clashes, should I be able to choose the 4th AS I want to do?because I'm worried because my enrollment day is very late on the 29th August, one week after results day.
- they check your gcses to make sure they meet the entry requirements
- they discuss with you your A level options and finalise them
- you get your ID card

Well... before i came to london, i was living in mauritius. I left there when i was 7 and never went back.

But the college still dont know i am resitting the year, i will have to tell them eventually.
What about yours??

Wow!! :eek:
Who charges you this much money? Im guessing its either arriva or first??

Cumbria County Council.
Original post by tsjmcgrath
I feel your pain. I've (read: my parents have) been paying about £300-£400, perhaps even more, per year on buses since Year 7. That's set to increase massively as, for some reason, Stagecoach now classify me as an adult despite the fact that legally I'm a child until October next year. :mad: So I imagine we'll also be paying about £700 or so. And even then the buses aren't that great - they're rarely on time, often smell, are generally full to the brim with elderly people (because for some reason I don't get a private school bus whereas the vast majority of people in my school do), slow, stuffy... They can't even be bothered to put a shelter at my bus stop so I'm often soaked. I would cycle to school but it's about 12 miles away so I'd be quite out of breath by the end of it, and probably late for school.

Ah well. Only two more years of this, I guess.

That sucks, I have a private bus company but their buses aren't great and are never on time
I have to pay for the cereal which fuels my walk to school:lol:

Mine will end up being similar!
Train - £583
Bus - £50 + £210
So that's about £850
With busses being irregular I will have to get a lift in the morning to the station. That's £300 more.

£1150 just for transport, that's crazy!
Cumbria County Council.

Out of curiosity, is there anything good about living in rural england?
Hello all I am taking German Spanish computing and economics at a level, and I'm very excited for college haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2090
Original post by lizziecr
Hello all I am taking German Spanish computing and economics at a level, and I'm very excited for college haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

do you know your exams boards and I'll add you in :h:

What about yours??

Yeah I guess so! I'm not going to live this far from public transport when Im older!

Ah that's cool! You must have learnt French when you were living there?

Yeahhh, that would be horrible! I don't want to imagine it.

Did you not have to show them your results slip from last year? We have to bring ours in but saying that I doubt my teacher will realise either! Yeah, have to tell them at some point, it's on the records I think but I'm not sure if my form teacher even checked it.
I'm glad it went well though :smile:
Mine is on 4th Sept so ages away still!
Out of curiosity, is there anything good about living in rural england?

Lots of fields to have big parties in. That's it.
Reply 2093
Original post by Red Fox
I have to pay for the cereal which fuels my walk to school:lol:

First World Problems, eh?
Original post by SophF_rth
Yeah I guess so! I'm not going to live this far from public transport when Im older!

Ah that's cool! You must have learnt French when you were living there?

Yeahhh, that would be horrible! I don't want to imagine it.

Did you not have to show them your results slip from last year? We have to bring ours in but saying that I doubt my teacher will realise either! Yeah, have to tell them at some point, it's on the records I think but I'm not sure if my form teacher even checked it.
I'm glad it went well though :smile:
Mine is on 4th Sept so ages away still!

Same here! Its also really helpful to start driving asap, makes your life so much easier in rural england.

Yep, i speak broken french! Which is why i will be doing A level french! :tongue:
My knowledge of broken french atm is enough to give me a head start, but certainly not enough to even get a grade E.
Eventhough i spent most of my childhood in mauritius, im not mauritiun. :tongue:

London with no buses = the worst nightmare ever!! :eek:

Yep, i showed them my gcse results from last year and they didnt realise the date on it.
We definitely have to tell them when the year begins. I am only telling my form tutor/mentor.
Isnt the 4th a bit late?? Colleges are normally prepared by then for the year ahead.
I hope it goes well for you too! :smile:

Lots of fields to have big parties in. That's it.

LOL, i feel for you.
Dont worry though, you have to 2 years of college and then you're off to uni!
Same here! Its also really helpful to start driving asap, makes your life so much easier in rural england.

Yep, i speak broken french! Which is why i will be doing A level french! :tongue:
My knowledge of broken french atm is enough to give me a head start, but certainly not enough to even get a grade E.
Eventhough i spent most of my childhood in mauritius, im not mauritiun. :tongue:

Yep, i showed them my gcse results from last year and they didnt realise the date on it.
We definitely have to tell them when the year begins. I am only telling my form tutor/mentor.
Isnt the 4th a bit late?? Colleges are normally prepared by then for the year ahead.

LOL, i feel for you.
Dont worry though, you have to 2 years of college and then you're off to uni!

I still go to school, I don't go to college.

Yeah it's true although busses are slightly cheaper! :biggrin:

did you take GCSE French too? Ooh yeah it's a good idea, if your parents can speak it you can practise with them! Ah, at least you have a bit of an edge.
You're not? :confused:

Haha, I wonder if mine will too. Yeah I was just going to tell my form teacher for now unless I need to tell the others so some reason!
I thought that but 1/3 of the year go in on Tues, 1/3 weds, 1/3 thurs. then they have till Monday to create all our timetables. I would have thought they would need longer! Then Tuesday we start our first proper day I thing!
Original post by techno836
do you know your exams boards and I'll add you in :h:

Add me in for AQA Physics A and EDEXCEL Maths and Further Maths.I'm not 100% sure on my 4th subject yet.For Maths I think it would be wise to list the optional modules that people are taking:I'm taking C1,C2,C3.C4,FP1(Mandatory modules) and S1(AS M),D1,(A2 M),M1(AS FM),M2(AS FM),FP2(A2 FM),FP3 (A2 FM)and M3(A2 FM).
Reply 2098
I am doing French, Geography and Media all with AQA
Original post by Dalek1099
Add me in for AQA Physics A and EDEXCEL Maths and Further Maths.I'm not 100% sure on my 4th subject yet.For Maths I think it would be wise to list the optional modules that people are taking:I'm taking C1,C2,C3.C4,FP1(Mandatory modules) and S1(AS M),D1,(A2 M),M1(AS FM),M2(AS FM),FP2(A2 FM),FP3 (A2 FM)and M3(A2 FM).

It's a nice idea but would take up a lot of space. Maybe just the AS ones? And you don't really need to put C1+2 as everyone will be doing them. If this does happen it's M1 (Maths) FP1 M2 D1 (Further Maths) for me.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest