The Student Room Group

This Is Disappointing.

Since I'm American, I like to browse the different UK news sites. I came across this and am quite sad about it.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/aug/17/language-teaching-crisis-universities-closure

I'm hoping not all universities cut their language programs!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well in Scottish public schools know one wants to do languages at all. From my experience it is the courses, they are all so patronising and dull. And most of the kids in my school don't want to do language because the teachers are horrible too.
Original post by Johnm75
Well in Scottish public schools know one wants to do languages at all. From my experience it is the courses, they are all so patronising and dull. And most of the kids in my school don't want to do language because the teachers are horrible too.

I guess I can understand that. If someone had told me five years ago that I would want to study a language, especially Italian, I would think they were crazy.
Reply 3
My school only does higher Spanish high only has 5 pupils in it. They asked if people wanted to do French. One person put there name down
Original post by Johnm75
My school only does higher Spanish high only has 5 pupils in it. They asked if people wanted to do French. One person put there name down

When I was in high school, it was a requirement. I took it for granted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Languages are completely useless. I know, I've done a language degree. Teenagers are now hardened to the economic depression, and so "safe" career choices are being made, and earlier. There is no room for dreams and idealism for these teenagers, whose youth has been cruelly ripped away by the austerity ideology.
Reply 6
Without trying to generalise or offend anyone the British parochial view and belief that others should speak English rather than aspire to speak other languages is particularly culpable for this decline. This year there were only 2 students in my A level French class (I and one other).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by scrotgrot
Languages are completely useless. I know, I've done a language degree. Teenagers are now hardened to the economic depression, and so "safe" career choices are being made, and earlier. There is no room for dreams and idealism for these teenagers, whose youth has been cruelly ripped away by the austerity ideology.

If you don't mind me asking, what language did you study and where? I honestly didn't even consider a language degree until recently. And I'm not a teenager. But I would rather do something I love and be poor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JTP94
Without trying to generalise or offend anyone the British parochial view and belief that others should speak English rather than aspire to speak other languages is particularly culpable for this decline. This year there were only 2 students in my A level French class (I and one other).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think knowledge of English is useful for others, but to each their own. But I don't think it should be everyone's first language.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
My school only offered french

It's crazy to other countries, most of them can speak 3-4 languages
(edited 10 years ago)
Only two people at my school study AS French. It's very sad, but I think some responsibility lies in the way that it is taught. I did a GCSE in the language yet I'm still incapable of forming a sentence or confidently speaking in French because all we were taught to do was memorise a piece of writing and a speech. I doubt it's only my school that do this. I feel let down by the system, to be honest.
Reply 11
Original post by Coffeetime
If you don't mind me asking, what language did you study and where? I honestly didn't even consider a language degree until recently. And I'm not a teenager. But I would rather do something I love and be poor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The post you quoted has to be the worst pile of *******s I've read in a long time. Languages aren't a "safe" option, they're an option that leaves so many doors open you could do anything you want, from working in banking to working for the UN. There are so many areas where having a language is useful and makes you stand out from the rest, it's probably one of the most versatile degrees ever.

I just worked in an academic library for a year, and now I'm gonna read security studies. Common denominator? Russian. A friend of mine's done German at university and he's regularly sent on trips to German-speaking countries by his marketing company. A couple more friends have gone into banking, one's gone back to Russia to teach English and a few went on to work in Egypt.

The opportunities are endless, but you have to take it upon yourself to find them. Do things that will make you stand out, get involved in activities, get a part-time job while studying, volunteer, etc. It's not just about having good grades, it's also about acquiring skills. And moving abroad for a year to study another language? Well, it shows you're independent, resourceful, communicative in more ways than one, and the rigour of a language degree will do wonders to your CV.

So don't worry about being poor, with languages, there's a chance you'll get to do what you love and get a decent pay grade as well. And you get a new culture as well, money can't buy that. :tongue:
Original post by scrotgrot

Original post by Anatheme
The post you quoted has to be the worst pile of *******s I've read in a long time. Languages aren't a "safe" option, they're an option that leaves so many doors open you could do anything you want, from working in banking to working for the UN. There are so many areas where having a language is useful and makes you stand out from the rest, it's probably one of the most versatile degrees ever.

I just worked in an academic library for a year, and now I'm gonna read security studies. Common denominator? Russian. A friend of mine's done German at university and he's regularly sent on trips to German-speaking countries by his marketing company. A couple more friends have gone into banking, one's gone back to Russia to teach English and a few went on to work in Egypt.

The opportunities are endless, but you have to take it upon yourself to find them. Do things that will make you stand out, get involved in activities, get a part-time job while studying, volunteer, etc. It's not just about having good grades, it's also about acquiring skills. And moving abroad for a year to study another language? Well, it shows you're independent, resourceful, communicative in more ways than one, and the rigour of a language degree will do wonders to your CV.

So don't worry about being poor, with languages, there's a chance you'll get to do what you love and get a decent pay grade as well. And you get a new culture as well, money can't buy that. :tongue:

Scrot; you cannot possibly believe that because you have studied a language degree, you are now the authoritative voice on the value of a MFL degree? No, you have just an opinion, but what is it based on? I disagree with your point about a language degree being completely useless, as it is obviously an incredibly foolish thing to say, however I agree with your second sentence. Teenagers and school leavers are going to continue being pressured by their increasingly worried parents who will no doubt feel despair at the market the graduate is going to find themselves in, and perhaps in this drive for the guaranteed career the freedom to fulfil dreams and aspirations are being pushed to the wayside to create room for financial stability and the career ladder.

It seems now that the focus is that education, and indeed a degree, is a means to an end and not the intellectual journey of constant questioning, learning and personal fulfilment that it might perhaps have been in the Age of Enlightenment. I imagine some degrees will always be goal focussed, as by their very nature the study of them is to compose solutions to a problem, such as engineering and physics. Languages, however, are not goal oriented as they do not lead you to a defined place at the end. Perhaps, Anatheme, this is why he presented the 'safety' argument, and in your post you provide the perfect reasons why.

I once read that from somewhere on here whilst a language degree gives you many skills that potential employers desire, it doesn't point you in much of a direction either.

The onus is on the student to look within themselves and think about where they want to go, what they want to do, what strengths they have, do they want to teach or go into another sector etc. You said it yourself, the opportunities are endless but you have to be willing to prepare yourself for them and seek them out yourself. Perhaps this is why the average student would not consider a language degree, as they may perhaps find the open-ended nature of language study directionless for them to even know where to begin at the other end, and so seek to avoid the risk of being without a defined path and study a safer option instead.
Reply 13
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Scrot; you cannot possibly believe that because you have studied a language degree, you are now the authoritative voice on the value of a MFL degree? No, you have just an opinion, but what is it based on? I disagree with your point about a language degree being completely useless, as it is obviously an incredibly foolish thing to say, however I agree with your second sentence. Teenagers and school leavers are going to continue being pressured by their increasingly worried parents who will no doubt feel despair at the market the graduate is going to find themselves in, and perhaps in this drive for the guaranteed career the freedom to fulfil dreams and aspirations are being pushed to the wayside to create room for financial stability and the career ladder.

It seems now that the focus is that education, and indeed a degree, is a means to an end and not the intellectual journey of constant questioning, learning and personal fulfilment that it might perhaps have been in the Age of Enlightenment. I imagine some degrees will always be goal focussed, as by their very nature the study of them is to compose solutions to a problem, such as engineering and physics. Languages, however, are not goal oriented as they do not lead you to a defined place at the end. Perhaps, Anatheme, this is why he presented the 'safety' argument, and in your post you provide the perfect reasons why.

I once read that from somewhere on here whilst a language degree gives you many skills that potential employers desire, it doesn't point you in much of a direction either.

The onus is on the student to look within themselves and think about where they want to go, what they want to do, what strengths they have, do they want to teach or go into another sector etc. You said it yourself, the opportunities are endless but you have to be willing to prepare yourself for them and seek them out yourself. Perhaps this is why the average student would not consider a language degree, as they may perhaps find the open-ended nature of language study directionless for them to even know where to begin at the other end, and so seek to avoid the risk of being without a defined path and study a safer option instead.

I completely misread the post as saying languages were safe when it was actually saying they're not as that's why they're rubbish. I'll blame the fact that it was early and I was annoyed by the "languages are useless" argument. I'll just go hide, now. :ninja:
I completely misread the post as saying languages were safe when it was actually saying they're not as that's why they're rubbish. I'll blame the fact that it was early and I was annoyed by the "languages are useless" argument. I'll just go hide, now. :ninja:

Don't worry! I like your enthusiasm for the subject!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Coffeetime
Don't worry! I like your enthusiasm for the subject!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the first paragraph was about the post you'd quoted, the rest was for your benefit, rather than trying to prove the other person wrong :tongue:

BA Russian and Arabic - University of Manchester 08-12
MA International Conflict Studies - King's College London 13-14

Reply 16
I didn't make this experience at university, but I certainly did at secondary school. Our languages departement was facing severe staff shortages and there weren't enough students studying languages either. In the end, the language departement was closed and moved to another school. :s-smilie:

Hah, why? The rest of your post contributed to the topic at hand. You illustrated how diverse language graduates are and just what it takes to make the most out of them. You shouldn't have deleted your post!
Reply 18
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Hah, why? The rest of your post contributed to the topic at hand. You illustrated how diverse language graduates are and just what it takes to make the most out of them. You shouldn't have deleted your post!

I didn't? :confused:
I didn't? :confused:

What the dickens? I swear, I looked yesterday and today and your post wasn't there. How odd! My apologies. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending