The Student Room Group

What is 'bump'?

I'm fairly new to TSR and I have seen people writing 'bump' on threads. What does this mean/what is the purpose of it?

Thaaanks!
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
bump
When the thread doesn't get enough attention and therefore by saying 'bump', you cause the thread to rise to the top of the forum page and hence it could get more attention!
It's sort of like renewing their thread (if it's barren) so other users can see it. It makes it seem as if a discussion is going on
Reply 5
Oh right. I always thought it was a typo for 'bum'.
Reply 6
The OP would write 'bump' if the thread is getting old and nobody has answered.

The OP posting the word 'bump' would mean that the thread could appear in the 'Latest Discussions' part of the TSR homepage again so that someone will see it, and hopefully answer it.

:smile:
Reply 7
'Bring up my post'.
Reply 8
Original post by IndiaJones
I'm fairly new to TSR and I have seen people writing 'bump' on threads. What does this mean/what is the purpose of it?

Thaaanks!

Others already answered your question but forgot to mention that its against site rules :smile: If you bump threads, either your own or others, you could receive an alert or warning for spamming.
Reply 9
Original post by Craghyrax
Others already answered your question but forgot to mention that its against site rules :smile: If you bump threads, either your own or others, you could receive an alert or warning for spamming.

Thats *******s. Its only against the rules if you do so unreasonably. For example deliberately seeking out old crap threads and bumping them up.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Laomedeia
Thats *******s. Its only against the rules if you do so unreasonably. For example deliberately seeking out old crap threads and bumping them up.

You're telling a moderator that you know the rules better than they do? :lol:

Posting 'bump' just to move your thread onto the front page is treated as spam, first and foremost because it is inconsiderate to other forum users. If its a busy forum, a new thread might move onto the second page within a few hours. But everybody else's thread is just as deserving of being viewed as yours is, so to bump your own thread instantly pushes another onto the second page. By and large threads don't receive replies only when the wider community doesn't know or doesn't want to answer a thread. Bumping a thread also irritates forum regulars because it is very demanding and pushy, and people don't like to help or respond when the thread starter treats it like an obligation.
Secondly, everywhere other than chat, posting 'bump' is spam because it doesn't contribute to the thread topic.
(edited 10 years ago)

Posting 'bump' just to move your thread onto the front page is treated as spam, first and foremost because it is inconsiderate to other forum users. If its a busy forum, a new thread might move onto the second page within a few hours. But everybody else's thread is just as deserving of being viewed as yours is, so to bump your own thread instantly pushes another onto the second page. By and large threads don't receive replies only when the wider community doesn't know or doesn't want to answer a thread.
Secondly, everywhere other than chat, posting 'bump' is spam because it doesn't contribute to the thread topic.

Oh. My statement was based on the fact that this thread itself was bumped without moderator action being taken. Also what happens if someone "bumps" the thread and then deletes their bump. Does the thread go back to where it was? I cant be bothered to test this.
Reply 12
To collide with something.
Original post by Laomedeia
Oh. My statement was based on the fact that this thread itself was bumped without moderator action being taken.

Yes, but spamming is allowed in Chat, as mentioned. So its fine here, but nowhere else on the site.
Also what happens if someone "bumps" the thread and then deletes their bump. Does the thread go back to where it was? I cant be bothered to test this.

It goes back to where it was.

Posting 'bump' just to move your thread onto the front page is treated as spam, first and foremost because it is inconsiderate to other forum users. If its a busy forum, a new thread might move onto the second page within a few hours. But everybody else's thread is just as deserving of being viewed as yours is, so to bump your own thread instantly pushes another onto the second page. By and large threads don't receive replies only when the wider community doesn't know or doesn't want to answer a thread. Bumping a thread also irritates forum regulars because it is very demanding and pushy, and people don't like to help or respond when the thread starter treats it like an obligation.

I have been told in the response to a post report (not in chat) that bumping is allowed, as long as it is after a reasonable time period, and that the moderation team prefer it if the OP deletes the bumps if/when the thread is replied to. Is this a change in policy then, and do you know when the policy changed?

Edit: From FAQ:

TSR site rules and guidelines in detail

Keep all your posts relevant and constructive.
2. Sometimes people want to 'bump' a thread (ie, post in it again so it returns to the top of the chronological thread list). That’s fine once, if your thread hasn’t had a response after a significant amount of time. But please don’t bump a thread multiple times or without allowing appropriate time for others to read the thread and reply. How much time you should wait for a reply depends on the forum - in busier forums, it becomes appropriate to bump a thread sooner than in quieter ones. As a rough guide, please give it a few hours and don’t bump a thread while it’s still near the top of the most recently updated threads in its forum.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by rmhumphries
I have been told in the response to a post report (not in chat) that bumping is allowed, as long as it is after a reasonable time period, and that the moderation team prefer it if the OP deletes the bumps if/when the thread is replied to. Is this a change in policy then, and do you know when the policy changed?

Its something we have discretion over. I would agree that if a user had waited a reasonable amount of time, bumping would be ok. But by that I mean like a couple of days. Not hours! And deleting the post after you got a reply would also be good.

But if you are going to bump one of your threads, definitely don't do it in a rude and pushy way, or act annoyed that people haven't replied. That just gets everybody's backs up.

Perfect example (ok this one is tongue and cheek, but it illustrates what several serious ones are like :colonhash:): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2445335
(edited 10 years ago)
Bump
bump
I never knew bump was even a thing and I have like 5 green little bars under my name or whatever they are called.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending