The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mubashir9995
So is it a decent upgrade from the old 600 questions book? Is it worth buying?
I just got medify subscription today and just by first impressions it looks great!!

Medify is good, the new book is ok (imo) but remember its not an upgrade from the previous one because it's just a different author mimicking the same name, the old one is by ISC medical and the new one is somebody else, they just have a similar name :smile:
Reply 1081
Original post by mubashir9995
So is it a decent upgrade from the old 600 questions book? Is it worth buying?
I just got medify subscription today and just by first impressions it looks great!!

The old one is better and a different group of people made this one. They just name it the same lol.

I would say its really good to start off with to get into the mode of preparing but it doesn't seem anything like the real thing. I'm gonna be using the old 600Q book as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1082
Original post by raveen789
Hey guys I was wondering if there is any books you can recommend for wider reading around medicine. Also if anybody knows a book or a website where I can learn how the NHS works, I know very basic things but not detailed things such as PCTs, how GPs actually make money, privatization of the NHS like virgin care. Stuff like that :redface:

I went on a interview course by ACE medicine which taught me all of it within a day (I mean ALL of it). I would recommend going on that course, it really helped me with my confidence on the understanding of the NHS and laws etc. my school paid but its £120 normally

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
I went on a interview course by ACE medicine which taught me all of it within a day (I mean ALL of it). I would recommend going on that course, it really helped me with my confidence on the understanding of the NHS and laws etc. my school paid but its £120 normally

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok cheers Dr U, I was going to go on an interview course even if it costs money because I don't want to leave anything to chance :tongue: But I only found the ISC medical one so far!
Reply 1084
Original post by raveen789
Ok cheers Dr U, I was going to go on an interview course even if it costs money because I don't want to leave anything to chance :tongue: But I only found the ISC medical one so far!

Apparently the ISC one is crap coz you have to work in a group and figure thins out yourself lol. I haven't heard good feedback for that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just applied to be a hospital volunteer as there's been no luck on the paid job front. At least if a paid job in the NHS comes up (i.e. HCA) I might be more likely to get it with more experience. I'll just be poor in the meantime ( or should I apply for Job Seeker's Allowance?). And more voluntary work for Med School is always good. My experience so far is a week of shadowing various departments in hospitals, a week in a primary school as teaching assistant and 6 years volunteering a youth club leader/mentor; so I hope this works out, I need more relevant experience quickly!
Original post by SusieShire
My experience so far is a week of shadowing various departments in hospitals, a week in a primary school as teaching assistant and 6 years volunteering a youth club leader/mentor; so I hope this works out, I need more relevant experience quickly!

Try and find a job in retail/receptionist/resturant in the meanwhile, and continue applying through NHS jobs. You'll get one eventually, but its better to get an income whilst hunting for HCA vacancies, then staying at home, staring at the NHSjob website to update. Just to get a pot of money for the travel you'll be doing in the summer (or you might just save it up if you so desire)
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Try and find a job in retail/receptionist/resturant in the meanwhile, and continue applying through NHS jobs. You'll get one eventually, but its better to get an income whilst hunting for HCA vacancies, then staying at home, staring at the NHSjob website to update. Just to get a pot of money for the travel you'll be doing in the summer (or you might just save it up if you so desire)

Oh I've applied for pretty much every job going; fast food, supermarkets, call centres, cleaning, insurance, had some interviews but no luck yet apart from being on ASDA's waiting list for a job which might take months to come through. I'll be thankful for even voluntary work because it might stave of some of the unemployment boredom. Although UKCAT revision is doing that at the moment.
Oh I've applied for pretty much every job going; fast food, supermarkets, call centres, cleaning, insurance, had some interviews but no luck yet apart from being on ASDA's waiting list for a job which might take months to come through. I'll be thankful for even voluntary work because it might stave of some of the unemployment boredom. Although UKCAT revision is doing that at the moment.

Have you tried care homes and Retail jobs?

I found lots of retail jobs next ect, and some of the smaller ones too avaliable. You'll get paid and should gain a fair degree of transferable skills and experiences which will help at interview :smile:
Original post by Richyp22
Have you tried care homes and Retail jobs?

I found lots of retail jobs next ect, and some of the smaller ones too avaliable. You'll get paid and should gain a fair degree of transferable skills and experiences which will help at interview :smile:

I've applied to lots of retail jobs and I've looked at care homes but all the ones I've seen want at least 6 months care experience? Should I just ignore that and apply anyway? I think my area has quite a high unemployment rate. Minimum wage jobs get literally hundreds of applications around here.
I've applied to lots of retail jobs and I've looked at care homes but all the ones I've seen want at least 6 months care experience? Should I just ignore that and apply anyway? I think my area has quite a high unemployment rate. Minimum wage jobs get literally hundreds of applications around here.

Hmm i'm not sure why not I geuss , have you done any work experience in a care setting that you can draw upon? Even though it's not sixth months you can use your hospital work experience to draw upon reflection that can help show you know abit about caring for patients.

Also keep applying on NHS jobs in the mean time, you'll get an interview eventually and just smash it. Took me 6 weeks to get 1 interview and thats all it took!

In the mean time I'd advice start hospital volunteering and supplement that with any job you can find, thus you'll be earning and experiencing patient contact. (If you want more medical experience)
Original post by Richyp22

In the mean time I'd advice start hospital volunteering and supplement that with any job you can find, thus you'll be earning and experiencing patient contact. (If you want more medical experience)

Yes, that's pretty much my plan! I also need the distraction as all my friends go off to uni, leaving me in this boring town. :moon:
Reply 1092
Can anyone tell me if I get the KAPLAN booklet there's no need to go on the course itself? Is the booklet they give the most useful things?? Thanks!!
Reply 1093
Original post by OJC
Can anyone tell me if I get the KAPLAN booklet there's no need to go on the course itself? Is the booklet they give the most useful things?? Thanks!!

I would assume that the book is like any other (practice questions) but if you went on the course you could be told the tips ad techniques that successful candidates use to get high scores :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChemBoss
Is there any Unis that accept retakes of a year if my predicted grades are 3 A*s?

Only UEA, Brighton/Sussex, Exeter and Plymouth will normally consider you (see wiki article on 'resit policies'). But if you have documented extenuating circumstances, you can apply to most of the others (check with them first to see if they'll accept any such claim). Good luck!
Reply 1095
Need some advice guys!
ok my stats so far: GCSEs 1A*, 5A, 2B, C
A-levels: A*AAa (maths/bio/chem + physics AS)
Last years UKCAT was 710 average (650/680/820/710), however I have done next to no preparation this year and I'm really worried I'll cock it up, I'm going to book it for end of september so have a while BUT my question is: where do you recommend applying if I completely cock it up? my GCSEs are pretty poor so that rules out some places, i have NO intention of doing the BMAT so yeah where do i go??! thanks for any help!
Finally found a job on NHS jobs that is a commutable distance away! It's still 2 buses away but I'll take it if I can. The application is sent off, wish me luck!
Original post by mcollin1
Need some advice guys!
ok my stats so far: GCSEs 1A*, 5A, 2B, C
A-levels: A*AAa (maths/bio/chem + physics AS)
Last years UKCAT was 710 average (650/680/820/710), however I have done next to no preparation this year and I'm really worried I'll cock it up, I'm going to book it for end of september so have a while BUT my question is: where do you recommend applying if I completely cock it up? my GCSEs are pretty poor so that rules out some places, i have NO intention of doing the BMAT so yeah where do i go??! thanks for any help!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

Queen's Belfast is a good option. You would score the full 36 points as you've already achieved your A2s. You needed 37/42 for an interview in 2012 and you could easily pick up one extra point even if you messed the UKCAT up. I'm not sure how many you needed out of 42 for an interview last year, but it can't have gone up by a lot. Your academics would help you with Aberdeen as well. There's St. George's as well. Their UKCAT cut-off last year was 632.5 and they rank you based on academics and your A2s are really good. You also meet their GCSE requirement of 416 points. There's also St. Andrews.

Bristol don't use the UKCAT at all and I think you'd be fine for Liverpool as well as they view As and A*s at GCSE as equivalent (might need to check this to make sure they haven't changed it though). If you have a lot of long-term volunteering, Keele is also an option.

Good luck!
Finally found a job on NHS jobs that is a commutable distance away! It's still 2 buses away but I'll take it if I can. The application is sent off, wish me luck!

Good luck :biggrin:
Original post by Dr.Ugs
St George's :smile: email them to make sure. No unis consider you with an E in AS. Hopefully many will if you don't declare it and include a new one :smile:.Well I thought I was gonna get a C in my AS extra but got a B so I didn't have to do this. I suggest you take on something easy (sociology/phsycology) and redo some of the maths exams to get two As. Check with the unis to make sure though. Good luck!!!Posted from TSR Mobile

is it ok for me to inbox you? i just really need some advice on this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending