The Student Room Group

HELP!!! Science degrees that don't require A Level Chemistry???

I couldn't get Chemistry A level since I only got a C for GCSE chemistry and I really wanted to become a doctor but after lots of searching and asking on this website I realised there's no way I can do medicine without chemistry.

So in about 2 weeks I'm going to start sixth form and I'm doing: Biology, History, Italian and Psychology (might change it to Physics)

Im still very keen on doing something related to healthcare or sciences and I strongly want to go to university. Any ideas on degrees I can do without needing A Level chemistry??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Laurah1606
I'm still very keen on doing something related to healthcare or sciences and I strongly want to go to university. Any ideas on degrees I can do without needing A Level chemistry??

If your still keen on going into medicine you could study biomedical science (some unis require chemistry and some don't), this would equip you well for graduate medicine and if you get onto an accredited course you also have the opportunity to become a biomedical scientist in the NHS.

Good luck, and remember, just because you're not doing chemistry AS doesn't mean you can achieve your goals. After all, you may find out medicine isn't for you.
Reply 2
Original post by AryaStark
If your still keen on going into medicine you could study biomedical science (some unis require chemistry and some don't), this would equip you well for graduate medicine and if you get onto an accredited course you also have the opportunity to become a biomedical scientist in the NHS.

Good luck, and remember, just because you're not doing chemistry AS doesn't mean you can achieve your goals. After all, you may find out medicine isn't for you.

Omg thank you soo much you're literally a life saver!!! I just researched quite a lot on Biomedical science degrees and in UEL University it is not required to have chemistry A Level. The degree sounds very interesting too!!! So glad you replied :smile:
You could go into an alternative healthcare job, such as Optometry (what I'm doing), Physiotherapy, Radiography and so on. There's plenty of options to work in hospitals/healthcare without doing medicine.

Alternatively, there is the option of graduate entry, but it requires different things in different places and I'm not sure of the specifics, but I believe most of them will take any generic science degree at a 2.1 or better. It's maybe worth looking into.
Reply 4
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
You could go into an alternative healthcare job, such as Optometry (what I'm doing), Physiotherapy, Radiography and so on. There's plenty of options to work in hospitals/healthcare without doing medicine.

Alternatively, there is the option of graduate entry, but it requires different things in different places and I'm not sure of the specifics, but I believe most of them will take any generic science degree at a 2.1 or better. It's maybe worth looking into.

What kind if things are you learning in Optometry if you don't mind me asking? What kind of job are you going to start after graduating?
What kind if things are you learning in Optometry if you don't mind me asking? What kind of job are you going to start after graduating?

Well, when I say I'm doing it, I haven't actually started yet (starting in September), but my timetable for the first week has me doing a lot of anatomy, it seems, and the rest of the year will probably have a lot more of that, and it looks like there's some introduction to practising from about February onwards.

I'll be an Optometrist after I qualify, although they're more commonly known as opticians. I'll be doing eye tests on people, basically.
Reply 6
Well, when I say I'm doing it, I haven't actually started yet (starting in September), but my timetable for the first week has me doing a lot of anatomy, it seems, and the rest of the year will probably have a lot more of that, and it looks like there's some introduction to practising from about February onwards.

I'll be an Optometrist after I qualify, although they're more commonly known as opticians. I'll be doing eye tests on people, basically.

Ahh ok that's very interesting! Good luck with your studies :smile:
Ahh ok that's very interesting! Good luck with your studies :smile:

Thanks. If you do want to know more about it, there's at least a few people in their second and third years, or even qualified already who I'm sure would help you out. :smile:
Reply 8
If you want to do a science degree, it'd help to do sciences other than biology - physics and/or maths would be good.
Reply 9
Omg thank you soo much you're literally a life saver!!! I just researched quite a lot on Biomedical science degrees and in UEL University it is not required to have chemistry A Level. The degree sounds very interesting too!!! So glad you replied :smile:

I'm glad I could help!
Reply 10
Thanks. If you do want to know more about it, there's at least a few people in their second and third years, or even qualified already who I'm sure would help you out. :smile:

thanks! Right now I'm not going to make my mind up yet I'm thinking of waiting until I see I get good results rather than deciding what to do early. Thanks very much though xx
Reply 11
Original post by knope
If you want to do a science degree, it'd help to do sciences other than biology - physics and/or maths would be good.

Am I not going to get good job opportunities if I do a degree in biology??
Reply 12
Am I not going to get good job opportunities if I do a degree in biology??

Oh wait, sorry, I misinterpreted your question. I meant that you may wish to do maths and/or physics at A level in order to gain entry to a biology degree. (: Sorry about that, not dissing your subject or anything.
Original post by knope
Oh wait, sorry, I misinterpreted your question. I meant that you may wish to do maths and/or physics at A level in order to gain entry to a biology degree. (: Sorry about that, not dissing your subject or anything.

I totally agree with this. A lot of unis will ask you to study at least two sciences at A-Level (one of them being biology) in order to do a biology degree.
Reply 14
Oh, and swapping psychology for physics may still leave you not meeting the entry requirements for some courses, for example York requires bio plus either maths or chem. (Source)
Reply 15
Original post by knope

Dont worry its fine! Yes I am going to drop Psychology and do Physics instead but I can't do Chemistry A Level since I only got a C for GCSE and the entry requirement for it at my sixth form is a B at least :frown:
Reply 16
Dont worry its fine! Yes I am going to drop Psychology and do Physics instead but I can't do Chemistry A Level since I only got a C for GCSE and the entry requirement for it at my sixth form is a B at least :frown:

How about maths? It'd help with your physics A level, too - that involves a lot of maths.
Reply 17
You can do sports science or midwifery.
Reply 18
Original post by knope
How about maths? It'd help with your physics A level, too - that involves a lot of maths.

Nope can't do maths either they only allow A grades GCSE Maths and I got B
Reply 19
Original post by Ben Kenobi
You can do sports science or midwifery.

I'm actually really considering Biomedical Sciences and if that doesn't work out something along Human sciences or forensics? I checked universities and University of East London's entry requirements for Biomedical sciences does not require Chemistry A Level! Neither do human sciences or forensics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending