The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Red Fox
It's a nice idea but would take up a lot of space. Maybe just the AS ones? And you don't really need to put C1+2 as everyone will be doing them. If this does happen it's M1 (Maths) FP1 M2 D1 (Further Maths) for me.

Thats why said to list the optional modules people are taking because C1-C2 and FP1 are compulsory.What grades are you predicting yourself?I'm predicting myself AABB for AS and A*A*A for A2.I think I am going to take 4A2s if I get more than a C in Physics and an A in Geography(not 100% sure I'm taking this at the moment).
Original post by Dalek1099
Thats why said to list the optional modules people are taking because C1-C2 and FP1 are compulsory.What grades are you predicting yourself?I'm predicting myself AABB for AS and A*A*A for A2.I think I am going to take 4A2s if I get more than a C in Physics and an A in Geography(not 100% sure I'm taking this at the moment).

I'm predicting AAAA at AS (hopefully) and A*AAA at A2. I will drop a subject at A2 if I do badly at AS but I currently plan to do 4.
Original post by Red Fox
I'm predicting AAAA at AS (hopefully) and A*AAA at A2. I will drop a subject at A2 if I do badly at AS but I currently plan to do 4.

If I get AABA and the B is in Physics or AAAA I will be taking all 4 to A2-I would be very surprised to not get AA in Maths and Further Maths but if I were to get a B in Further Maths I would take 4 to A2 providing I got an A in Geography.I think I may be feeling anxiety at the minute, caused by excessive claims of how hard A-Level is, because I feel like I can only get an A in Maths and Further Maths because I'm great at Maths and in any subjects, I am going to have to work hard to get a B.I will still have to work hard to get an A in Maths and Further Maths but I will probably only have to work as hard as a normal GCSE, which still means a lot of work.I'm lucky because of my Maths ability it will only be like taking 3 A-Levels in workload.
If I get AABA and the B is in Physics or AAAA I will be taking all 4 to A2-I would be very surprised to not get AA in Maths and Further Maths but if I were to get a B in Further Maths I would take 4 to A2 providing I got an A in Geography.I think I may be feeling anxiety at the minute, caused by excessive claims of how hard A-Level is, because I feel like I can only get an A in Maths and Further Maths because I'm great at Maths and in any subjects, I am going to have to work hard to get a B.I will still have to work hard to get an A in Maths and Further Maths but I will probably only have to work as hard as a normal GCSE, which still means a lot of work.I'm lucky because of my Maths ability it will only be like taking 3 A-Levels in workload.

Maths is my strongest point too (A* at GCSE and A in FSMQ). I know A-Levels will obviously be a step from GCSE. However, I think that people over exaggerate it and I don't buy it. As long as you put the hours in studying, there's no reason that you shouldn't reach the grades you want. What's your aim for University?
Original post by Red Fox
Maths is my strongest point too (A* at GCSE and A in FSMQ). I know A-Levels will obviously be a step from GCSE. However, I think that people over exaggerate it and I don't buy it. As long as you put the hours in studying, there's no reason that you shouldn't reach the grades you want. What's your aim for University?

A-Levels are very difficult and my sisters January Results were BCCD and she got 2A*s and a lot of As at GCSE.In the bold part, you talk as if A-levels are easier than GCSEs because I tried very hard at GCSE and did not get 13A*s and 3As which I wanted-14A*s and 2As were the maximum possible grades and I took German early in Y9 and was predicted a C and wanted an A but I did manage to get an A.However, I wanted to get an A* in RE and Geography and I revised very hard for them( about 20-30 hours) and I didn't.

I want to study Maths and get a career in Pure Maths Research and I'm not sure about which university to go to.I would like to go to Cambridge or Warwick but Cambridge is unlikely because you need pretty much two 1s in STEP and considering that its not taught to you its virtually impossible because the papers are much much harder than A-Levels and it would too risky to apply to Cambridge because you only get a firm and insurance.I am also very concerned about how it would be possible to move away, finding my way to Newcastle University will be very difficult from Sunderland and that is my minimum aim and my closest university that offers Maths.I don't have very good organisational skills, I can't read maps other than what is necessary for Geography and struggle to be independent in anything other than Academia.I'm already worrying how I will be able to find my way around my College because it was really tough to do in the Induction Days and the routes are very long but I will probably manage-Secondary School was easy to get around because they had all the door numbers in order of the floors and all blocks were clearly labelled.I'm either arrogant or pessimistic in life never anything in between.
(edited 10 years ago)
I want to study Maths and get a career in Pure Maths Research and I'm not sure about which university to go to.I would like to go to Cambridge or Warwick but Cambridge is unlikely because you need pretty much two 1s in STEP and considering that its not taught to you its virtually impossible because the papers are much much harder than A-Levels and it would too risky to apply to Cambridge because you only get a firm and insurance.I am also very concerned about how it would be possible to move away, finding my way to Newcastle University will be very difficult from Sunderland and that is my minimum aim and my closest university that offers Maths.I don't have very good organisational skills, I can't read maps other than what is necessary for Geography and struggle to be independent in anything other than Academia.I'm already worrying how I will be able to find my way around my College because it was really tough to do in the Induction Days and the routes are very long but I will probably manage-Secondary School was easy to get around because they had all the door numbers in order of the floors and all blocks were clearly labelled.I'm either arrogant or pessimistic in life never anything in between.

Nice, I hope it goes well for you and I'm sure you'll cope:smile:. I had Oxbridge aspirations but I've given up on them a bit. I want to study Mechanical Engineering at Imperial. I used to want to go to Warwick but I've decided I definitely want to move out of Coventry. The STEP papers do look very hard but I don't want to do a Maths degree luckily. Other things I'm potentially interested in are a Physics degree or Chemical Engineering.
Evening all, how is everyone? Sorry I haven't posted much on this thread compared to previously
A-Levels are very difficult and my sisters January Results were BCCD and she got 2A*s and a lot of As at GCSE.In the bold part, you talk as if A-levels are easier than GCSEs because I tried very hard at GCSE and did not get 13A*s and 3As which I wanted-14A*s and 2As were the maximum possible grades and I took German early in Y9 and was predicted a C and wanted an A but I did manage to get an A.However, I wanted to get an A* in RE and Geography and I revised very hard for them( about 20-30 hours) and I didn't.

I'm sort of the opposite to that. I didn't put enough effort into my GCSEs. I'd revise 1 or 2 days before each exam by just reading over the revision guide and I got 5A* 4A (School predicted me 1A* 8A). Maybe this is why I have a different mindset to you going into next year. My thinking is that I haven't studied previously and I got good grades so in A-Levels if I start studying a lot , I should be able to achieve what I want.
Original post by MattFletcher
Evening all, how is everyone? Sorry I haven't posted much on this thread compared to previously

I'm alright, apart from a having a headache. I must be tired :frown: How about yourself? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2109
Add me in for AQA Physics A and EDEXCEL Maths and Further Maths.I'm not 100% sure on my 4th subject yet.For Maths I think it would be wise to list the optional modules that people are taking:I'm taking C1,C2,C3.C4,FP1(Mandatory modules) and S1(AS M),D1,(A2 M),M1(AS FM),M2(AS FM),FP2(A2 FM),FP3 (A2 FM)and M3(A2 FM).

Done

Original post by gomg
I am doing French, Geography and Media all with AQA

Done :h:
Another to-be year 12 joins the fray.
Reply 2111
Original post by techno-thriller
Another to-be year 12 joins the fray.

and i see you like basketball and oklahoma :awesome: and you have stolen part of my name :unimpressed:
Original post by techno836
and i see you like basketball and oklahoma :awesome: and you have stolen part of my name :unimpressed:

San Antonio Spurs ftw:biggrin:
Reply 2113
Done

Done :h:

You haven't added me to the main post yet. :frown:

Maths (MEI)
German (WJEC)
Psychology (Edexcel)
Sociology (AQA)
Reply 2114
Original post by Red Fox

sigh they will be nothing after this year when tony parker and tim duncan leave :frown: .. and they annoyed me when they failed to put away Heat last year in game 6 :angry: Defence guys :fuhrer:
Original post by Red Fox
I'm sort of the opposite to that. I didn't put enough effort into my GCSEs. I'd revise 1 or 2 days before each exam by just reading over the revision guide and I got 5A* 4A (School predicted me 1A* 8A). Maybe this is why I have a different mindset to you going into next year. My thinking is that I haven't studied previously and I got good grades so in A-Levels if I start studying a lot , I should be able to achieve what I want.

I reckon I would have achieved 4A*s(1A^), 6As, 4Bs and 2Cs in GCSE,OCR National and BTEC if i hadn't revised really hard and in my GCSE only courses I would have achieved 2A*s,4As and 4Bs.In most subjects an A* in GCSE is rock solid and requires a tonne of work and revision, maths is the exception but I'm naturally talented for that.

Contrary to popular belief, BTEC PE is very tough, one of my friends who got an A* in Maths got 2Cs in it-I had to attend loads of classes after school and I completed loads of work after school.
Original post by Red Fox

James Harden 'Fear the Beard' FTW
sigh they will be nothing after this year when tony parker and tim duncan leave :frown: .. and they annoyed me when they failed to put away Heat last year in game 6 :angry: Defence guys :fuhrer:
Admittedly I don't know much about the NBA. Played for my school basketball team from Year 7-10 and they always used to talk about NBA so I just picked a team so I could join in the discussion but I don't follow it much anymore. They should have won last season though.
Reply 2118
Original post by Lucas.
You haven't added me to the main post yet. :frown:

Maths (MEI)
German (WJEC)
Psychology (Edexcel)
Sociology (AQA)

Sorry i miss a few :colondollar: done now though :h:

You many have got to this site before me, but I have the name techno on just about every other site!:biggrin:

Latest