The Student Room Group

Apprenticeships for people aged 24+

Even though apprenticeships are supposed to be available for everyone regardless of age, most companies tend to prefer to offer apprenticeships to people under the age of 24 due to funding issues.

Does anyone know of any companies that tend to offer apprenticeships to people over the age of 24?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Istanbul2005
Even though apprenticeships are supposed to be available for everyone regardless of age, most companies tend to prefer to offer apprenticeships to people under the age of 24 due to funding issues.

Does anyone know of any companies that tend to offer apprenticeships to people over the age of 24?

What qualifications/grades have you got?

What kind of apprenticeship are you after?
Are you from Sheffield ? Here's one for you from the Sheffield City Council: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/education/information-for-learners/employment/apprenticeships.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I've noticed this too, many rejections without reason yet I have much better qualifications than they require. Makes me think they don't want to pay for it.

Yet BAE admitted that apprentices cost £80k to train but they bring in £100k extra a year just in what they do so it far outweighs the payment.
Reply 4
Original post by YouthOpps
What qualifications/grades have you got?

What kind of apprenticeship are you after?

I have 10 GCSEs at grades A-C (including English Language and Maths.)

I am quite flexible in the kind of apprenticeship I am looking for. I am trying to keep my options open by giving consideration to a number of job sectors.
Reply 5
Original post by Fashion Girl
Are you from Sheffield ? Here's one for you from the Sheffield City Council: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/education/information-for-learners/employment/apprenticeships.html

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am from Liverpool, but thanks anyway for that.
Reply 6
Can anyone else help me with this?
Reply 7
I have 10 GCSEs at grades A-C (including English Language and Maths.)

I am quite flexible in the kind of apprenticeship I am looking for. I am trying to keep my options open by giving consideration to a number of job sectors.

I'd suggest an apprenticeship at Level 2 or 3 for you. There's modern apprenticeship in every sector nowadays.

Check out https://apprenticeshipvacancymatchingservice.lsc.gov.uk/navms/Forms/Candidate/VisitorLanding.aspx
for the latest vacancies.

Have you got a CV?
Reply 8
I'd suggest an apprenticeship at Level 2 or 3 for you. There's modern apprenticeship in every sector nowadays.

Check out https://apprenticeshipvacancymatchingservice.lsc.gov.uk/navms/Forms/Candidate/VisitorLanding.aspx
for the latest vacancies.

Have you got a CV?

I check that website out daily and have applied for a few apprenticeships through it. Unfortunately, I've noticed a lot of adverts state that they will only accept applications from people under the age of 24 due to funding restrictions.

I do have a CV.
Reply 9
I check that website out daily and have applied for a few apprenticeships through it. Unfortunately, I've noticed a lot of adverts state that they will only accept applications from people under the age of 24 due to funding restrictions.

I do have a CV.

I'd still ask for you to make an application for those which ahve age restrictions and see the outcome. If you get rejected you can ask why they did this and if the answer is because if your age then you could possibly well have a discrimination case against them.

As an employee, apprentices are entitled to the usual employment law protection. Direct discrimination on the grounds of age is capable of being justified under the Equality Act 2010 (previously the Employment Equality (Age) Regulations 2006). Certainly in terms of recruitment, it is unlawful for employers to treat applicants less favourably on grounds of their age unless they can objectively justify the treatment.
Reply 10
I would love to be on apprenticeship but I already have a degree and they just turn me away :sad: I'm not eligible for graduate schemes because I don't have excellent grades. Yet I fit in that 19-24 category because I'm still 24.
Reply 11
I recently started an apprenticeship with a construction company, and I'm 26... 27 next week. I didn't think I would get it, and I've had quite a few interviews for different companies (all apprenticeships) where I've performed well and I usually get turned down for my age.

But I think there are specific factors to the reason I got accepted:

1) I live in north London, which is a 20min drive from where I currently work and beneficial to the fact that most of the work sites are in the south east.
2) I'm an ex-solder, a husband and a father. So they know I'm hard working and have responsibilities.
3) I demonstrated that I am career minded by the research I've done into the industry.

It's not easy if you're an oldie like me, and the pay isn't too great if you've got bills and a family to look after. I suggest to anyone to do their research, what are the prospects and where will the work be, how is your current situation going to be. Good luck to the mature contenders :wink: (and all of course)!!
Reply 12
Keep trying, go direct to companies you would like to work for and apply for everything. Try and narrow down what it is you actually want to do also as this will help you search out the companies. And keep trying some more. It can get abit disheartening getting no replies or rejections but something will come along.

I'll be 33 next month and starting an apprenticeship after a complete career change. I spent the last year in college, working and applying for everything related to what I wanted to do and it paid off. Although sometimes I questioned if I was doing the right thing I'm glad I kept trying.

Good luck, if you're employable and keen you should get something.

Dan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I'd still ask for you to make an application for those which ahve age restrictions and see the outcome. If you get rejected you can ask why they did this and if the answer is because if your age then you could possibly well have a discrimination case against them.

As an employee, apprentices are entitled to the usual employment law protection. Direct discrimination on the grounds of age is capable of being justified under the Equality Act 2010 (previously the Employment Equality (Age) Regulations 2006). Certainly in terms of recruitment, it is unlawful for employers to treat applicants less favourably on grounds of their age unless they can objectively justify the treatment.

I don't think any employer would be foolish enough to state that any application was rejected due to the applicant's age.
Reply 14
Original post by I am Dan
Keep trying, go direct to companies you would like to work for and apply for everything. Try and narrow down what it is you actually want to do also as this will help you search out the companies. And keep trying some more. It can get abit disheartening getting no replies or rejections but something will come along.

I'll be 33 next month and starting an apprenticeship after a complete career change. I spent the last year in college, working and applying for everything related to what I wanted to do and it paid off. Although sometimes I questioned if I was doing the right thing I'm glad I kept trying.

Dan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Dan - Congratulations on securing an apprenticeship. What area of work are you moving into?
Reply 15
Thanks for everyone's advice.

Dan - Congratulations on securing an apprenticeship. What area of work are you moving into?

Engineering technician with the MOD. Start in two weeks. Basic pay, good for an apprentice though but career prospects and training are very good.
Dan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Engineering technician with the MOD. Start in two weeks. Basic pay, good for an apprentice though but career prospects and training are very good.
Dan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds great. Good luck with it.
Reply 17

Dan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do grades play a more important role than skills/work experience?
Reply 18
I'm guessing it varies depending on the employer. A younger candidate may only have exam results where as an older one is more likely to have the skills/work experience and you would hope that any potential employer would take this into consideration. From applying and looking at vacancies it seems most employers would like GCSE grade C or above in Science, Maths and English (but not all).

Anything you can do to make yourself more employable is surely a good thing, whether that be retaking a subject at evening class or volunteering somewhere that has a relation to the industry you want to end up in.
Dan.
Reply 19
Can anyone else help me out?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending