The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath Students: What did you wish you knew as a fresher.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by BAD AT MATHS
If you are interested in going to all freshers events on campus then buy the wrist band, it's over priced, but it beats waiting in the non wristband queue all night. Although freshers week really isn't as good as people make out, this applies to all unis.

Don't bother siging up and paying for multiple societies during freshers until you know you are able to fit them all around your studies. Choose one then see how it goes.

Fuzzy ducks and score are not the best night out in the city, and £5 a ticket is not reasonable.

Tutorials are very useful and bath go out their way to give as much contact time between students and lecturers, so make use of them.

Don't listen to people that say "oh you only need 40% in first years so don't worry about studying". It's true you only need 40% to pass, but you still need to study to get that 40%. First year retakes are a ****ing pain in the ass.

Start looking for private student housing early, you'd be surprised how much is gone by the end of the christmas holidays, so if you want a decent cheap place, start looking early.

The uni numbering/building and classroom system is quite confusing at first. So here it is in a nutshell, when you are facing the main enterance of the library, everything to the right of the library are the east buildings, everything to the left are the west buildings. Every building on the library side of the parade are numbered with odd numbers. Everything on the opposite side are numbered evenly. The library and all the main entrances of the uni are on level 2 (level 1 is where the mole people live).
So say you are looking for 8 west 2.10, 8 west would be to the left of the library on the opposite side, meaning you need to walk past the parade bar, then 4 west, 6 west until you reach 8 west building. When you get there you are looking for room 2.10, the 2 represents level 2, and the .10 represents the room number on that level i.e. room .10 on level 2.
I know this is still confusing as ****, but seriously I cannot think of a better way to explain the stupid numbering system.

And last but not least 50p chocolate is a gift sent by lord zeus himself, and it comes with a free telegraph to wipe your backside with.

Cheers for the advice man. If score and fuzzy ducks aren't the best nights are (yes, they've been telling us that they are before we've even arrive, where are?) What is a reasonable entrance fee. And where can I get a budget pint. I'm fed up of paying £3 for a pint.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by jumblehunter
Cheers for the advice man. If score and fuzzy ducks aren't the best nights are (yes, they've been telling us that they are before we've even arrive, where are?) What is a reasonable entrance fee. And where can I get a budget pint. I'm fed up of paying £3 for a pint.

I suppose it depends on what you're into. Moles is pretty good, especially on thursday. Club XL can be pretty good. A lot of people head to second bridge and weir lounge but I find these two a bit pretentious (even for bath). Otherwise you can head to bristol for a good night out.
Reply 22

You're in Bath, you can't have a cheap night out I'm afraid! :tongue:

Some more advice, buy 10 or 20 journey bus tickets for First and Uni connect. That way, when you need to go to town, you can catch the first one that turns up and it works out so much cheaper.
They will probably last you the whole semester, maybe even the year haha!

See you all soon! Hope you're all excited! Any pharmacists, feel free to PM me if you have questions!
Original post by RibenaRockstar
The only place I went with a complete WiFi blind spot was 8W 1.1 lecture theatre - and there are a few with no phone signal whatsoever :tongue:

Something I picked up on quite quickly but others seemed not to realise is that you can buy a 20 journey bus ticket for the blue buses for £16 (sometimes £15 when there are offers on) which means you can go into town and back for £1.60 - and for me the biggest bonus of that was that I didn't need to worry about having the right change for my bus ticket.

Hiya, The info about the bus tickets is really helpful, where can I get this from? Do you know of any deals with train fares?

Thanks
Reply 24
There's an sta travel shop in campus where you can buy the 20 trip passes or termly passes from. Also you can buy at least 10 trip passes from the bus driver. Unless something has changed in the past year whilst I've been on placement..

Don't know about any bus and train deals, just definitely get a 16-25 railcard if you're going to be making more than a couple of significant train journeys a year.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anita21
There's an sta travel shop in campus where you can buy the 20 trip passes or termly passes from. Also you can buy at least 10 trip passes from the bus driver. Unless something has changed in the past year whilst I've been on placement..

Don't know about any bus and train deals, just definitely get a 16-25 railcard if you're going to be making more than a couple of significant train journeys a year.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I think the travel shop shut :tongue:

Depends what you want in a "best night". Score and Fuzzies are the cheapest nights out, £2 pints and Jagers, £2.50 doubles (prices may change for the upcoming year). They are also a lot of fun but not a "cool" night out.

If you're a dickhead or an international with too much money then go to Second Bridge on Monday. XL does 99p "J-bombs" on Monday.

Tuesday is Cheesy Moles at Moles. Cheese music, cheap pints, win.

Wednesday is Score... that's the only good night on a Wednesday. It is aimed at sports clubs so if that's your thing, even better. There is also Discord at Po Na Na, metal night if you're into that.

Thursday is usually a Weir Lounge night though I think Moles have a drum and bass night now, may be wrong.

Friday is Delight at XL, 3-4-5 Jäger and VK and some deal on spirits too. Have to get there early to get in though, it is usually rammed.

Saturday is townie night so the only real student option is Fuzzies. And don't bother trying to go out on a Sunday, there is nothing.
Original post by anita21

Posted from TSR Mobile

The 20 trip etc passes can be bought from 'fresh style' which has opened behind Fresh
Reply 28
Original post by Hedgeman49
Yeah, I think the travel shop shut :tongue:

oh no! where am I going to not buy any flights from now?

It did seem odd they would have enough demand for a shop on campus. I guess there are a lot of international students. But surely everybody buys flights/holidays online now anyway..

RibenaRockstar
The 20 trip etc passes can be bought from 'fresh style' which has opened behind Fresh

Thanks for the tip :smile:
Top tip is to check out the Bath Snowsports booth when they're out on Parade, I was a member two years ago and we were sponsored by The Huntsman (pub in town) which would get us pints for £1.50 :awesome:

Don't know if they've maintained that sponsorship or whether they've moved to a different pub, but it's worth enquiring about because it can act as a good pre-drinking base of operations and allow you to beat the rush to the clubs, since the busses will be CRAMMED from around 8:30-9:30pm going down into the city.

Plus you can always buy your friends pints and get them to pay you £2 for them :lol: - either way it's a good investment just for the sponsorship if they're running one, especially if you're planning on going on the ski trip anyway (you'll need a snowsports membership to go on the trip). Most people just buy the membership when they're buying the trip tickets, but obviously they're missing out on half a year of half-price cider or beer!
Reply 30
Is it worth buying the wristband? My brother says that at a lot of universities a lot of freshers don't end up going to union organised freshers events?
Original post by firebolt
Is it worth buying the wristband? My brother says that at a lot of universities a lot of freshers don't end up going to union organised freshers events?

I would recommend it. I think without it the nights are about a tenner each and you have to queue forever.

With FW I definitely advocate a YOLO approach to spending, you can always scrimp later if you have to

At Bath there really aren't that many other events so the wristband is a must if you want to go out!

That said, as I don't 'do' clubbing I spent the money on a Big Bang Theory boxset instead :tongue:

It's definitely worth it, you should (and easily could) aim to go to at least half of the events :dontknow:

It's best to just go all-out, maybe take one of the less attractive nights off to get some sleep and then recover in the weeks after
Reply 34
Original post by Hedgeman49
I would recommend it. I think without it the nights are about a tenner each and you have to queue forever.

With FW I definitely advocate a YOLO approach to spending, you can always scrimp later if you have to

Original post by Architecture-er
It's definitely worth it, you should (and easily could) aim to go to at least half of the events :dontknow:

It's best to just go all-out, maybe take one of the less attractive nights off to get some sleep and then recover in the weeks after

At Bath there really aren't that many other events so the wristband is a must if you want to go out!

That said, as I don't 'do' clubbing I spent the money on a Big Bang Theory boxset instead :tongue:

Thank you :smile: Haha I don't think I'm really a clubbing person either but I think I should give it a go to make new friends :smile: I love Big Bang Theory!
Reply 35
Original post by University Of Bath
Hey Jumblehunter,

My name is Chris; I have finished my 1st year reading physics at the University of Bath.

I think it is really important to get involved in as much as you can at University so I joined several clubs/activities the University had to offer in the first few weeks. What I was not aware of before coming to University is that a lot of these clubs require entry fees so if you are interested in getting involved it would be a good idea to put aside a bit of money for it. Here is a link to the University of Bath’s student page so you can get an idea of the clubs you can join in a few weeks! http://www.bathstudent.com/

I also wish I had known about the benefits of being a student and having a student card. As Bath is affiliated to the NUS (National Union of Students) the students here get discounts and deals on all sorts of things. For example, if you buy a meal at McDonalds and show your student card you get a free burger or McFlurry! The NUS also provide the NUS extra card which can be purchased for £12 but provides you huge discounts on even more stuff, e.g. 50% off Spotify premium. Check out the NUS website for other benefits you get as a student: http://www.nus.org.uk/

I also wish I had known about the support services that the University offers. There are offices all over the place with staff happy to help you with any problems/difficulties you may have. Whether it is financial, academic, social & psychological, work related, health related etc., there will be someone who can help you. Again, check out the bath student website for details.

Those are a few of the things I can think of off the top of my head. If there is anything else I think of I will let you know! In the meantime, if you have any other queries, don’t hesitate to ask.

I wish you a great Freshers' year!

Chris

Im thinking of applying for physics this year, do you mind me asking what you got for A-levels?
Original post by shahbaz
Im thinking of applying for physics this year, do you mind me asking what you got for A-levels?

Hi shahbaz,

Thanks for your question.

Unfortunately Chris was only managing our Student Room responses during the Confirmation and Clearing period.

However, as you will see from the Physics page of our E-prospectus our standard offer for Physics is AAA (to include Physics and Maths), and so the vast majority of our current students will have obtained these grades (or better). If you feel that you can obtain these grades, and are keen on the course at Bath, then you should definitely apply!

I hope this information is helpful.

Thanks,

Steve
Reply 37
Make the most of freshers week! It will be the craziest (un)forgettable week of your life. I wish I'd tried to talk to as many different people as possible because some of the stories I heard about flatmates ending up at parties in accommodations other than their own after the nightly events were hilarious.

Without wanting to sound too much of an alcoholic; Monday night is easily the best value night to go out. As mentioned XL do 99p J-Bombs but if you plan to go out on a Monday, it is worth checking out Molloys pub. Based on last year, Quids night is £2 entry, £1 pints (Carlsberg and Strongbow i think) and then i think Jagers/Snakebites are like £1.50. Then your route to XL or Second Bridge is well fueled!

I would also strongly emphasize the "only 40%" generalization. I know a few people who did struggle to pass, although it is only first year, you may find some of the units a lot harder than others, so make good use of the study period - when halls are generally dead - and go hard in re-freshers week/summer once exams are over!

I should probably be able to think of loads but I'm just gonna end up reading other peoples and going 'oh yeah, I'd never thought of that'....
Original post by dan_oufc
Make the most of freshers week! It will be the craziest (un)forgettable week of your life. I wish I'd tried to talk to as many different people as possible because some of the stories I heard about flatmates ending up at parties in accommodations other than their own after the nightly events were hilarious.

Without wanting to sound too much of an alcoholic; Monday night is easily the best value night to go out. As mentioned XL do 99p J-Bombs but if you plan to go out on a Monday, it is worth checking out Molloys pub. Based on last year, Quids night is £2 entry, £1 pints (Carlsberg and Strongbow i think) and then i think Jagers/Snakebites are like £1.50. Then your route to XL or Second Bridge is well fueled!

I would also strongly emphasize the "only 40%" generalization. I know a few people who did struggle to pass, although it is only first year, you may find some of the units a lot harder than others, so make good use of the study period - when halls are generally dead - and go hard in re-freshers week/summer once exams are over!

I should probably be able to think of loads but I'm just gonna end up reading other peoples and going 'oh yeah, I'd never thought of that'....

Wait what? :lolwut:

This might be the best kept secret in Bath... at least nobody I know has even heard of Molloys!
Reply 39
Original post by Architecture-er
Wait what? :lolwut:

This might be the best kept secret in Bath... at least nobody I know has even heard of Molloys!

http://www.molloysbath.co.uk/whats-on/
First event on the left. I do hope its continuing this next year as it is great value for us students!

Quick Reply

Latest