FP2: 83
FP3: 90
M1: 95
M2: 78
S1:100
S2: 100
D1: 87

Stating maths at Sheffield next month! :smile:
Someone at my sixth form this year got 599/600 overall in Maths.
Original post by Munrot07
Sorry to say it but it is a maths thread, that equals 276 (same as what i got :P )

Ahh. I feel ashamed now.:redface:
Maths:
C1 - 97
C2 - 90
D1 - 80

Further Maths:
FP1 - 90
M1B - 100
S1B - 100

Can't understand how I got lowest UMS in D1, I thought that would be 100 UMS :confused:
Reply 184
Original post by ChildishHambino
C1 - 98
c2 - 92
c3 - 96
c4 - 94
m1 - 79
s1 - 90

Just wanted to say I get the reference of your username! And I don't ever get references!!!

Also; congrats on those results :smile:
Original post by BigBadJFly
Maths:
C1 - 97
C2 - 90
D1 - 80

Further Maths:
FP1 - 90
M1B - 100
S1B - 100

Can't understand how I got lowest UMS in D1, I thought that would be 100 UMS :confused:

D1 and D2 were my worst modules. I enjoyed the content (well maybe not so much D1), and appreciated the applications of it, but I was simply too slow in the exams.
Reply 186
What course are you doing now
How I went through secondary school was very similar :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 187
Has someone pointed out that after you hit the high 80s, your UMS says little about whether you're good at maths or not?

Spoiler

So far:
C1: 95
C2: 95
M1: 77 (Damn you edexcel:angry:)
Reply 189
Original post by shamika
Has someone pointed out that after you hit the high 80s, your UMS says little about whether you're good at maths or not?

Spoiler

Funnily enough that's exactly what I told Chief Wiggum on the Cambridge Maths thread.
Reply 190
I got :

C1-100
C2-100
C3-100
M1-100

Going to take C4 and M2 next year .
Going to study electronic engineering.
Reply 191
Original post by SParm
Funnily enough that's exactly what I told Chief Wiggum on the Cambridge Maths thread.

Yeah I forgot to agree with you on that thread :tongue: (but yes, I completely agree with you!)
Original post by shamika

Spoiler

I think thats ridiculous and Cambridge would completely disagree because they insist on 95% UMS across the 3 most relevant subjects- a score in high 80s wouldn't even be on target for an A* so obviously doesn't show as much ability as a secure 90s score.
C1 - 100
C2 - 100
FP1 - 98
M1 - 100
S1 - 87 -.-
S2 - 96

Just completed first year of A levels; hoping for the Cambridge Tripos 2014. Wish me luck :redface: - especially with the STEP :eek:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 194
Maths A*
C1 - 92
C2 - 100
C3 - 92
C4 - 100
M1 - 96
S1 - 97

Further Maths A*
FP1 - 100
FP2 - 86
FP3 - 100
FP4 - 93
D1 - 98
M2 - 100

Will be studying aeronautical engineering at Imperial College London :smile:
Reply 195
Original post by Dalek1099
I think thats ridiculous and Cambridge would completely disagree because they insist on 95% UMS across the 3 most relevant subjects- a score in high 80s wouldn't even be on target for an A* so obviously doesn't show as much ability as a secure 90s score.

Not for maths. Whilst successful applicant will typically have UMS in the high 90s, there are also plenty of candidates with the odd howler which brings their average right down. Cambridge maths has a separate exam, STEP, to separate the wheat from the chaff. There is no auto-pooling for maths, and frequently people with high UMS will be rejected for people with raw mathematical talent, which sadly is no longer easy to spot using A-Level maths.

I was also making a subtle point about the reliability of UMS; whilst the idea of an A* grade is fine, I'm not convinced it works very well - for example the Edexcel C3 paper had such low boundaries, I'm not convinced someone who got 100 is a better mathmo than someone who got 89. Especially when it was entirely possible to skip the harder parts of the questions (which was actually testing) and still get 100 UMS.
Original post by shamika
Not for maths. Whilst successful applicant will typically have UMS in the high 90s, there are also plenty of candidates with the odd howler which brings their average right down. Cambridge maths has a separate exam, STEP, to separate the wheat from the chaff. There is no auto-pooling for maths, and frequently people with high UMS will be rejected for people with raw mathematical talent, which sadly is no longer easy to spot using A-Level maths.

I was also making a subtle point about the reliability of UMS; whilst the idea of an A* grade is fine, I'm not convinced it works very well - for example the Edexcel C3 paper had such low boundaries, I'm not convinced someone who got 100 is a better mathmo than someone who got 89. Especially when it was entirely possible to skip the harder parts of the questions (which was actually testing) and still get 100 UMS.

The 89 UMS person missed more parts and generally I think that the higher the grade boundaries the harder it is to distinguish between raw talent because one tiny slip up will cost UMS but the lower the grade boundaries the easier and 100 UMS candidates have shown ability to handle tough questions, which must have been common across the paper for low grade boundaries.

I think that once you get into the 90s due to the generally high grade boundaries in Maths I think you'd have a good argument and I'd agree with you with some ridiculously small marks between 90 UMS and 100 UMS at times but a person with 90s UMS has clearly demonstrated more ability than one with low 80s UMS .

People who have high UMS have raw mathematical talent-I think its ridiculous the fact that things other than Academia are studied and STEP has to be self-taught, which can prevent raw mathematical talent from showing because self teaching can be really tough especially if you set as tough questions as in STEP and STEP doesn't represent University to well because the content is taught in lectures.

I suppose you could say my 295/300 UMS in GCSE Maths is hard to distinguish against someone who got 300/300 UMS but my raw mathematical ability test in IGCSE Further Maths with AQA in which I got an A^(174/175 raw marks) showed my true raw mathematical ability.
Reply 197
Original post by Dalek1099
The 89 UMS person missed more parts and generally I think that the higher the grade boundaries the harder it is to distinguish between raw talent because one tiny slip up will cost UMS but the lower the grade boundaries the easier and 100 UMS candidates have shown ability to handle tough questions, which must have been common across the paper for low grade boundaries.

I think that once you get into the 90s due to the generally high grade boundaries in Maths I think you'd have a good argument and I'd agree with you with some ridiculously small marks between 90 UMS and 100 UMS at times but a person with 90s UMS has clearly demonstrated more ability than one with low 80s UMS .

People who have high UMS have raw mathematical talent-I think its ridiculous the fact that things other than Academia are studied and STEP has to be self-taught, which can prevent raw mathematical talent from showing because self teaching can be really tough especially if you set as tough questions as in STEP and STEP doesn't represent University to well because the content is taught in lectures.

I suppose you could say my 295/300 UMS in GCSE Maths is hard to distinguish against someone who got 300/300 UMS but my raw mathematical ability test in IGCSE Further Maths with AQA in which I got an A^(174/175 raw marks) showed my true raw mathematical ability.

Those are some fantastic results, well done. However, you'll see eventually that a university exam is incredibly different to the style of GCSE / A-Level exams. To do well in your IGCSE Further maths, it is feasible to get raw full marks. It is completely impossible to get raw full marks in the third year Cambridge maths exams (because there are too many questions to be able to write out solutions even if you had the solutions in front of you).

A few other things: you need to be able to learn independently in a maths degree, and that's one of the reasons STEP is a good test. And if you are under any illusion that lectures somehow give you all of the necessary skills to do well in an exam, then you'll get a shock when you get to uni.

Note that I'm not saying people with fantastic UMS are not good mathmos... I'm saying those with slightly lower UMS may be even better. Clearly there is still a strong correlation between A-Level UMS and mathematical ability.

I'm now curious to see what is an A^, and what is IGCSE Further maths :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 198
I'm not currently doing a maths degree but had maths offers from Cambridge, Warwick, Lancaster, Southampton and Bath. I missed my Cambridge offer based on STEP and they offered me their natural sciences course instead. I made my insurance offer (Warwick) but it's not every day you get that kind of opportunity so I'm starting natural sciences at Cambridge in September.

C1- 100
C2- 100
C3- 100
C4- 100
M1- 98
M2- 97
M3- 88
S1- 90
D1- 93
FP1- 91
FP2- 96
FP3- 99

Overall maths- 595, further maths- 557 (exam board put highest scoring modules in maths)
Not a Maths student, but here.

C1 - 89
C2 - 88
C3 - 88
C4 - 94
S1 - 79
M1 - 93

Total - 531/600 A*

Studying chemical engineering at UCL
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest