The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Accommodation tips? Whats Leicester like as a city?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bazinga94
You will indeed! :smile: have you seen the accommodation we are staying in? I never saw it when I went to see the uni so I don't know what it's like? :smile:

I didn't see it either, it was insanely snowing when I went to the open day. :/ Apparently the kitchens are really small in Digby... I'm guessing yours is self catered?

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by alysinwonderland
Hey guys, I got my conformation email yesterday (v excited about coming to Leicester!) which said to wait 24 hours before trying to apply for accommodation. Now I'm trying to register it's saying there's an error, has it just not come through yet? I'm getting a bit worried as I want to apply for self catered en-suite and I heard they're quick to run out...? 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't log on too! I rang the uni up and they said wait 42 hours from the time the offer was confirmed. Hopefully that works because I really want to get accommodation sorted!! xx
Reply 22
What is Digby Hall like? I have just received an accommodation offer from Leicester for the Orange (Black) block of Digby Hall and I didn't see it the first time I looked at the uni.

Hey, I lived in Digby Hall (Blue Block) from 2011 to 2012 (my first year; this was the last year before it closed for renovations) and let me tell you it was fantastic! Sure, there were a couple of minor things with the halls that needed fixing (such as the size of the communal kitchens and a couple of windows), but as a whole the closeness of all of the blocks meant that everyone was out of their rooms and engaging each other with a lot of activities and becoming great friends in a very short amount of time.
There was such a closeness in between all of the blocks it was like a little community, if you needed help friends were there to help you, and there was no shortage of great people wanting nights out!

It was catered halls when I lived there (not sure if they've changed that now), but overall the food was pretty standard, considering there were 3000 very hungry students. But the best thing about living in Digby is the proximity to ASDA. Literally a 5 minute walk and you were there! Makes it a lot easier for food/alcohol shopping. Plus, with it being open for 24 hours every weekday, it made for some fun late night shopping trips :smile:

If you have any other questions about living in halls or private residence, or about the university itself I'll be happy to answer any questions :smile: (I'm a 3rd year Chemist, btw)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by pellster
Hey, I lived in Digby Hall (Blue Block) from 2011 to 2012 (my first year; this was the last year before it closed for renovations) and let me tell you it was fantastic! Sure, there were a couple of minor things with the halls that needed fixing (such as the size of the communal kitchens and a couple of windows), but as a whole the closeness of all of the blocks meant that everyone was out of their rooms and engaging each other with a lot of activities and becoming great friends in a very short amount of time.
There was such a closeness in between all of the blocks it was like a little community, if you needed help friends were there to help you, and there was no shortage of great people wanting nights out!

It was catered halls when I lived there (not sure if they've changed that now), but overall the food was pretty standard, considering there were 3000 very hungry students. But the best thing about living in Digby is the proximity to ASDA. Literally a 5 minute walk and you were there! Makes it a lot easier for food/alcohol shopping. Plus, with it being open for 24 hours every weekday, it made for some fun late night shopping trips :smile:

If you have any other questions about living in halls or private residence, or about the university itself I'll be happy to answer any questions :smile: (I'm a 3rd year Chemist, btw)

That has all made me feel so much better about Digby Hall, thank you so much! :smile: I'm hoping the few negatives you listed will be fixed through the refurbishments that took place last year so that's good :smile:
I'm self catered so it may have changed since then but I'm very happy about how close it is to ASDA, that will make things a lot easier :smile:
How many people were sharing one kitchen and bathroom when you lived there? :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by kathyw16
I didn't see it either, it was insanely snowing when I went to the open day. :/ Apparently the kitchens are really small in Digby... I'm guessing yours is self catered?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right, that can't have been fun trying to look round places! :/ and yeah I am self catered :smile:
Original post by igcsecrazy
I can't log on too! I rang the uni up and they said wait 42 hours from the time the offer was confirmed. Hopefully that works because I really want to get accommodation sorted!! xx

Phew! Good to know it's not just me, thanks! xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
That has all made me feel so much better about Digby Hall, thank you so much! :smile: I'm hoping the few negatives you listed will be fixed through the refurbishments that took place last year so that's good :smile:
I'm self catered so it may have changed since then but I'm very happy about how close it is to ASDA, that will make things a lot easier :smile:
How many people were sharing one kitchen and bathroom when you lived there? :smile:

It's my pleasure :smile: Noticed that there are a lot of people asking questions, and not many people who have gone through it answering so thought I'd chip in and help where I can.
It's definitely more than likely that the negatives I've mentioned have been taken care of during the renovations. The kitchen thing was the only main issue, although because we were all catered (bar one block), then the size of the kitchens was most likely deemed as only needed for snacks and not full on meals. We were provided with toaster, kettle, microwave oven and a 2 hob/oven thingymajig that cooked things :biggrin:

(Note: For everyone else that's living further away from ASDA than Digby, I remember that there was a bus service running between John Foster and ASDA. Unfortunately I don't have any more information about it, but I can't see them changing that; It was quite popular after all).

The blocks were split up so that 12 boys were on the ground floor, and 12 girls on the 1st floor. Each floor had 4 bathrooms and a kitchen. There was 12 people per kitchen (which had a small cupboard for your own food, cutlery etc and room for a lock to be placed on), and 2 bathrooms for every 6 people. (It was set up as 6 rooms on the left and 6 on the right, with the 2 bathrooms at the very end of the corridors).

Whether they have changed it so that it's separate boy blocks and girl blocks, or mixed again like in my year, I cannot say unfortunately. But everyone got on really well in the communal rooms (kitchens and foyer area) in my year :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by igcsecrazy

It should work :smile: Remember that the Accommodation office is most likely inundated with lots of people like yourself trying to finalize accommodation and other things. Try not to stress about it though; it was like this in my year. I remember it took a little while for me to get through, but in the end they were a great help and were efficient :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by pellster
It's my pleasure :smile: Noticed that there are a lot of people asking questions, and not many people who have gone through it answering so thought I'd chip in and help where I can.
It's definitely more than likely that the negatives I've mentioned have been taken care of during the renovations. The kitchen thing was the only main issue, although because we were all catered (bar one block), then the size of the kitchens was most likely deemed as only needed for snacks and not full on meals. We were provided with toaster, kettle, microwave oven and a 2 hob/oven thingymajig that cooked things :biggrin:

(Note: For everyone else that's living further away from ASDA than Digby, I remember that there was a bus service running between John Foster and ASDA. Unfortunately I don't have any more information about it, but I can't see them changing that; It was quite popular after all).

The blocks were split up so that 12 boys were on the ground floor, and 12 girls on the 1st floor. Each floor had 4 bathrooms and a kitchen. There was 12 people per kitchen (which had a small cupboard for your own food, cutlery etc and room for a lock to be placed on), and 2 bathrooms for every 6 people. (It was set up as 6 rooms on the left and 6 on the right, with the 2 bathrooms at the very end of the corridors).

Whether they have changed it so that it's separate boy blocks and girl blocks, or mixed again like in my year, I cannot say unfortunately. But everyone got on really well in the communal rooms (kitchens and foyer area) in my year :smile:

Yeah it's nice to hear from someone who has actually lived there :smile: that's more bathrooms than I thought there would so that's good :smile: I'm hoping that maybe the kitchen situated may have been sorted for us as I think we are all self catered :smile: I'm excited to see what it looks like after the renovations :smile: did you have the 3/4 and premium Internet service when you were there?
Reply 29
Does anyone know what rooms in Lasdun Block are like? Unfortunately I never got to see them and I'm slightly worried.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Yeah it's nice to hear from someone who has actually lived there :smile: that's more bathrooms than I thought there would so that's good :smile: I'm hoping that maybe the kitchen situated may have been sorted for us as I think we are all self catered :smile: I'm excited to see what it looks like after the renovations :smile: did you have the 3/4 and premium Internet service when you were there?

I'm definitely sure the kitchen will have been upgraded to a better standard than my time :smile: My room had a fairly large single bed and it's own sink (plus all the usual furnishings of chairs, desk, cupboard space etc). The internet option I chose was the most basic, but even then it was really fast download/upload speed. Only problem was that there was no wireless anywhere on Digby Hall (except the main house) so had to buy ethernet cable, but I know for sure that part of the renovations will include a wireless network so that's another good thing :smile:
They kind of have to put one in after all, considering how many people are bringing wireless gadgets to uni :P
Hey!
I'm in Flat 1, Ground Floor, Room E in the orange block, so nice to know someone else is in that as I couldn't find any info on it!

What course are you studying? :smile:

Hey! Sorry only just checked this! I'm studying Geography, how about you?
I'm in digby orange block! Flat 3 room E!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heyy! I'm in flat 3 too! Room B,
Where are you from and what will you be studying?
:smile:
Original post by EmmaLouise093
Heyy! I'm in flat 3 too! Room B,
Where are you from and what will you be studying?
:smile:

Howdy flatmate :smile: I'm from Wolverhampton and studying ancient history and archaeology how about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Howdy flatmate :smile: I'm from Wolverhampton and studying ancient history and archaeology how about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! :smile: Ahh so you're not traveling too far either! I'm from Northampton and I'm studying geography.
Are you a relatively tidy person? Haha
Excited to start?
Hey! :smile: Ahh so you're not traveling too far either! I'm from Northampton and I'm studying geography.
Are you a relatively tidy person? Haha
Excited to start?

It's just close enough to go home but too far to commute :wink:
I am indeedy. It's all a new start and new people :biggrin: I hate it when it gets too messy so you won't have trouble from me xD what do you think of the shared bathrooms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's just close enough to go home but too far to commute :wink:
I am indeedy. It's all a new start and new people :biggrin: I hate it when it gets too messy so you won't have trouble from me xD what do you think of the shared bathrooms?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aha good, my room might get a tad messy but I keep the kitchen tidy! Haha so I'm sure we'll get on fine! Not too happy about the shared bathrooms but I really couldn't afford to go for my own one :frown: What about you?
Was Leicester your firm choice? Orr...?
[QUOTE="EmmaLouise093;44203586"]Aha good, my room might get a tad messy but I keep the kitchen tidy! Haha so I'm sure we'll get on fine! Not too happy about the shared bathrooms but I really couldn't afford to go for my own one :frown: What about you?
Was Leicester your firm choice? Orr...?[/QUOTE
Of course we will! :smile: I don't like the idea of sick in the toilet lmao! So whoever is sick can clean it up themselves :P
Yeah I firmed Leicester with Nottingham as my insurance. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="kathyw16;44204849"]
Aha good, my room might get a tad messy but I keep the kitchen tidy! Haha so I'm sure we'll get on fine! Not too happy about the shared bathrooms but I really couldn't afford to go for my own one :frown: What about you?
Was Leicester your firm choice? Orr...?[/QUOTE
Of course we will! :smile: I don't like the idea of sick in the toilet lmao! So whoever is sick can clean it up themselves :P
Yeah I firmed Leicester with Nottingham as my insurance. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha no agreed I cannot be dealing with other peoples vomit let alone my own! Paha! Exactly, we should put up a sign! I firmed Leicester with Coventry as my insurance but if I didn't get in I was actually going to try and get to Nottingham through clearing had it all sussed out but luckily I didn't need to do that :smile:
I'm so excited aha
Have you bought much stuff yet? Like cooking utensils etc
[QUOTE="EmmaLouise093;44209140"]

Haha no agreed I cannot be dealing with other peoples vomit let alone my own! Paha! Exactly, we should put up a sign! I firmed Leicester with Coventry as my insurance but if I didn't get in I was actually going to try and get to Nottingham through clearing had it all sussed out but luckily I didn't need to do that :smile:
I'm so excited aha
Have you bought much stuff yet? Like cooking utensils etc

Definitely make a sign haha :wink: I think everyone would hate us then lol! Bet you're glad that clearing didn't come into it, I was worried about that :L
I'm getting more excited as it comes closer :biggrin:
I have brought nothing! I have no idea what to get :s my friends taking me to Ikea soon so hopefully...
What have you got? (To give me some idea) hehe

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply