The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2140
Theres a moth in my room :frown: :facepalm:

somebody kill it :colondollar:
I think I have finally started to realise why I didn't do so well in RE and Geography in Y11.My lowest subjects were RE and Geography, I got 90(a*) in RE in Unit 1 and 100(a*) in Geography unit 1 and while I didn't do so well in unit 2 in Geography the first time round everyone didn't so well but the second time other people did well in the resit and I have reached an astonishing conclusion-I din't do so well in them because I dropped English Language and English Literature in Year 10 and as a result my essay skills faded explaining strange drops in performance in RE and Geography the two subjects that most highly required them.How can I solve the problem though? because I'm not taking English for A-Level because I hate it so much and was desperate for every lesson to end.
Original post by Dalek1099
I think I have finally started to realise why I didn't do so well in RE and Geography in Y11.My lowest subjects were RE and Geography, I got 90(a*) in RE in Unit 1 and 100(a*) in Geography unit 1 and while I didn't do so well in unit 2 in Geography the first time round everyone didn't so well but the second time other people did well in the resit and I have reached an astonishing conclusion-I din't do so well in them because I dropped English Language and English Literature in Year 10 and as a result my essay skills faded explaining strange drops in performance in RE and Geography the two subjects that most highly required them.How can I solve the problem though? because I'm not taking English for A-Level because I hate it so much and was desperate for every lesson to end.

I'm not doing any essay subjects because I hate essays, too. However, in the degree I plan to do I'll need to do tons of essays... So I'm gonna consider doing the extended project (my college runs it from after my AS exams until Christmas) to re-develop my writing skills if I feel they've deteriorated greatly. If I do really badly at AS, I'll probably more strongly consider doing it than if I get good grades, since doing the EPQ shows dedication which would hopefully distract from the poor grades haha :smile:

But yeah, doing the EPQ could give you some much needed essay practice.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by HeyThereHarry
I'm not doing any essay subjects because I hate essays, too. However, in the degree I plan to do I'll need to do tons of essays... So I'm gonna consider doing the extended project (my college runs it from after my AS exams until Christmas) to re-develop my writing skills if I feel they've deteriorated greatly. If I do really badly at AS, I'll probably more strongly consider doing it than if I get good grades, since doing the EPQ shows dedication which would hopefully distract from the poor grades haha :smile:

But yeah, doing the EPQ could give you some much needed essay practice.

From what I hear the EPQ isn't too much more highly valued than General Studies and Critical Thinking and it seems as if it would be hard work and it has 70% planning assessment and is basically extra work for little gain so I don't see the point-continuing my essay skills in Geography, which is still sort of a science and I believe it is is occasionally classed as a science makes much more sense.
From what I hear the EPQ isn't too much more highly valued than General Studies and Critical Thinking and it seems as if it would be hard work and it has 70% planning assessment and is basically extra work for little gain so I don't see the point-continuing my essay skills in Geography, which is still sort of a science and I believe it is is occasionally classed as a science makes much more sense.

I don't think it's huuuuugely respected, but it can demonstrate extra commitment to a subject matter useful if your application is lacking due to disappointing grades. No doubt your grades will be far from disappointing (and hopefully mine won't be too bad either), but if extra essay-writing would be useful then it is a viable option. The 5,000 word essay is similar to the essays I expect I'll be doing as part of my degree, so the independent research, the freedom and the amount of writing are certainly factors that would help to give me a taste of university-style tasks. I imagine it could be quite rewarding as well, but I'm obviously not sure as I haven't done it :tongue:

But as you've said, geography is both a science and an essay subject rolled into one! So after all the practice questions you'll end up doing, I'm sure you'll be able to fine-tune your writing skills to ensure that no marks are missed. At least now that you've identified why you probably did slightly worse in those long-answer exams at GCSE, you now know what you might need to focus on while studying geography at A-level :smile:

Good luck!
Original post by HeyThereHarry
I don't think it's huuuuugely respected, but it can demonstrate extra commitment to a subject matter useful if your application is lacking due to disappointing grades. No doubt your grades will be far from disappointing (and hopefully mine won't be too bad either), but if extra essay-writing would be useful then it is a viable option. The 5,000 word essay is similar to the essays I expect I'll be doing as part of my degree, so the independent research, the freedom and the amount of writing are certainly factors that would help to give me a taste of university-style tasks. I imagine it could be quite rewarding as well, but I'm obviously not sure as I haven't done it :tongue:

But as you've said, geography is both a science and an essay subject rolled into one! So after all the practice questions you'll end up doing, I'm sure you'll be able to fine-tune your writing skills to ensure that no marks are missed. At least now that you've identified why you probably did slightly worse in those long-answer exams at GCSE, you now know what you might need to focus on while studying geography at A-level :smile:

Good luck!

It won't be like University though because it sounds more independent than University because you have to choose everything that you and how you do it and I can't really plan anything but on the plus side its the only AS you can get an A* in and you can boast about your A*AAAA AS level results.I have the chance to do EPQ in my A2 year but I am fairly certain I'm going to decline to do it.
It won't be like University though because it sounds more independent than University because you have to choose everything that you and how you do it and I can't really plan anything but on the plus side its the only AS you can get an A* in and you can boast about your A*AAAA AS level results.I have the chance to do EPQ in my A2 year but I am fairly certain I'm going to decline to do it.

Haha, I suppose you're right. I'm still undecided as to whether to choose 3 or 4 AS-levels.
If I choose 4, I'll probably not do the EPQ. And if I choose 3 and get AAA, I'll probably not do the EPQ. However, if I choose 3 and get truly terribly grades, I'll probably do it because I'll be desperate haha! :tongue:
Reply 2147
Where is everybody ? :cry2:
Reply 2148
Original post by techno836

Here! :hi:
Original post by LeFailFish
Don't worry, all the strange lines and stuff heal up really quickly :biggrin: I finished my exped nearly a month ago now, and the only injury I have left is the remains of a blister on my left foot - but then again, that blister had a 5cm diameter, it was enormous, so I'm not surprised it left a mark! (Yes, I may have just measured it...) Madagascar was brilliant! It's a lovely country, I spent a month there and we travelled all over, but the exped we did around Antsirabe which is in the mountains, and the views are beautiful. The people are amazing to - they're always happy! :biggrin: Ugh, doing another in 2 weeks, that's not leaving long between them at all... good luck for that!!

Yay good! I think mine are starting to heal up now :biggrin: Wow, that was one big blister! :eek: I had one on my little toe but I don't think it was anything near that impressive measurement :tongue:
It sounds really cool :smile: It must have been such an amazing place to visit!
Yep - not really looking forward to it -_-

sleeping/actually doing something with their lives :tongue:
Reply 2151
Original post by Tibbz2
Here! :hi:

:awesome: hello :wavey:

i'm home alone today :frown:
Reply 2152
Original post by sarahiscool
sleeping/actually doing something with their lives :tongue:

Well that's the opposite of me :lol:

and i've just realised your male :eek: :lol:
Reply 2153
:awesome: hello :wavey:

i'm home alone today :frown:

:eek:

But I thought bank holidays were for lazing around at home! Then again you're lucky I would rather be alone than be with my family :colone:
Reply 2154
Original post by Tibbz2
:eek:

But I thought bank holidays were for lazing around at home! Then again you're lucky I would rather be alone than be with my family :colone:

Haha mine are very noisy :lol: i do like the quite time though :awesome:
Reply 2155
Haha mine are very noisy :lol: i do like the quite time though :awesome:

When it gets loud here I will just shut my door and turn the music up :biggrin: Or bugger off outside and find something to do...
Well that's the opposite of me :lol:

and i've just realised your male :eek: :lol:

i'm actually not ... or am I ??? you will never know
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Chemistry

all AQA
Reply 2158
Original post by Tibbz2
When it gets loud here I will just shut my door and turn the music up :biggrin: Or bugger off outside and find something to do...

haha i do the same :five:
Original post by sarahiscool
i'm actually not ... or am I ??? you will never know

oh now that's just nasty :cry2:
Reply 2159
Original post by JPL9457
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Chemistry

all AQA

Done :h: