The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
hey guys, does anyone know anything about the interviews at Barts for the 5 year program? e.g. the difficulty, the format. from what I gather, some of the interview revolves around an article they sent to you prior to the interview?

Any help would be great :smile:
Original post by aloha_here
Hi - i'm in the same boat as you- so don't mind the rant! No one in my school doing as or a2 got an A for chemistry this year and i was just 5 ums off a B! There might be a class remark or something and hopefully i'll get the few ums i need to get a B, but do you think its worthwhile me applying to Barts with my current as results of AAAC? please let me know :smile:

Hello. :smile: According to last year's stats, the bottom tariff was 460. If those are A2 results of AAAC, then I'm afraid that's below the bottom tariff as it is 440. :frown: If your grade does go up to a B, then you could apply, but only if you get a really high UKCAT score of about 795-800 (as it was 792.5 last year). Otherwise they'll probably just reject you without interview. :frown: They say on their website that getting an interview is unlikely if you have a tariff score that's below 460. Do you have any EPQs or music qualifications? Unfortunately I can't say for sure if it's worth applying without knowing your UKCAT score.

If those are your AS grades, then get predicted an A just to be on the safe side. You could also pick up another AS in Year 13 to boost your tariff points if you don't get 790-800 in your UKCAT.

Good luck!
Reply 82
I have 5A's and a B at AS level, but I am worried about my UKCAT score of 2750. I know this is above average but is this good enough for Barts to get me an interview?
Reply 83
Original post by cat-lover
Hello. :smile: According to last year's stats, the bottom tariff was 460. If those are A2 results of AAAC, then I'm afraid that's below the bottom tariff as it is 440. :frown: If your grade does go up to a B, then you could apply, but only if you get a really high UKCAT score of about 795-800 (as it was 792.5 last year). Otherwise they'll probably just reject you without interview. :frown: They say on their website that getting an interview is unlikely if you have a tariff score that's below 460. Do you have any EPQs or music qualifications? Unfortunately I can't say for sure if it's worth applying without knowing your UKCAT score.

If those are your AS grades, then get predicted an A just to be on the safe side. You could also pick up another AS in Year 13 to boost your tariff points if you don't get 790-800 in your UKCAT.

Good luck!

Hi :smile: those were my AS scores so does that mean that if I apply with an A predicted for chem and other 2 subjects, that I've got a chance? I havent sat the ukcat yet but does it have to be higher than 750? Do your as scores or your predicted grades count as tariff points? Sorry for bombarding you with questions, I appreciate your help! :smile:
Original post by _jf96
Hey. I just did my ukcat, got 665 with the following sub section scores 430,630,900,700. (yea,vr waa a bitch). I got ABBB at AS, but bei ng predicted AAAB at a2. I had dodgy gcses... :frown: and I dont know how many ucas pts I have... Can I still get into barts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What were your GCSEs? Unfortunately they have a GCSE requirement you need to meet as well. You would have 460 UCAS points so you would need a much higher UKCAT according to last year's stats. :frown: You would need to pick up extra A-levels and get higher predictions to get about 550-570 UCAS points. If you pick up one more AS and get A*A*ABa or A*AAAa, you might be alright based on last year's stats as that is equal to 560. These are just estimates unfortunately and my maths isn't exactly the best so maybe check with someone else. I don't recommend picking up another AS level though unless you absolutely think you can handle it. There's also the problem of getting the right prediction for it and if your college will predict a grade if it's a subject you're self-teaching. I didn't have that problem when I picked up an A-level in Year 13 as I decided to take a gap year, but it was very stressful. If you want to apply to Barts this year, it seems you probably need to pick up another AS level as even an A*A*A*A prediction isn't within the 550-570 range as it is equal to 540 points. Then again, my estimates could be wrong so please ask someone else. 540 might end up being okay.

Good luck!

Original post by JacobSayers
Do they count GCSE points in their score? I have AAAAB at AS and should be predicted at least A*A*AA at A2. My ukcat was 2980 (745 average). Would barts be a good option or would I stand a chance at UCL (providing good bmat) ... oh and 6A* 4A 2Dist* at GCSE... Sorry to bombard with qualifications, just completely freaking out over where to apply. :')

I don't think they count GCSEs. Barts is a really good option with those predictions. :smile: You needed 2760 last year to get an interview with 520 UCAS points; you've exceeded both the UCAS points and the UKCAT score! Assuming you're dropping the B, you would have 570 UCAS points. I would say Barts is a very good option. :biggrin: Look into Birmingham as well as they give preference to people with AAAA at AS and A*s in English, Science and Maths at GCSE. They do need an A at AS as well apparently (even if you do 4 subjects at A2) so maybe the B might hold you back. It's probably best to check with them.

UCL is a good option too so work on doing really well in the BMAT. You should also look into some of the UKCAT-heavy universities (if you haven't already..sorry if you have :colondollar:). Newcastle might be a good option. Their cut-off was 695 last year and it apparently went up by like 30 from the previous year. Still, I'd imagine you would be safe with your UKCAT score. Aberdeen and Dundee also both rank you based on UKCAT and academics and both of yours are really good. :smile: Glasgow rank applicants by total UKCAT score after meeting their minimum entry requirements so that's a good option too with your score.

Good luck! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by KanKan
Yeah, your right, but to get those points you have to have dropped it for A2. Your A2 predictions will get the points for the subjects you are carrying on.

Hope that makes sense. So for example, I'm dropping economics, so I get 60 points. But I'm carrying on maths, biology and chem predicted at A* so that's a further 140 points for each.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I've got 4As at AS level, all four of which i am taking to A2 level. I presume i am getting 4 A* predictions so would that mean i get a total of
560? Would that be suffice to outweigh a UKCAT of 692.5?
Original post by mli26
I have 5A's and a B at AS level, but I am worried about my UKCAT score of 2750. I know this is above average but is this good enough for Barts to get me an interview?

How many are you carrying on to A2 and what are your predicted grades? I'd imagine you'd be fine though as your UCAS tariff is likely to be high because of all the subjects you do. :smile:
Reply 87
So, I've been told I can't apply to Queen Mary, because of my A Level situation:

Year 11: English AS (a) and Maths AS (a)

Year 12: Maths A2 (A), Biology AS (a), Chemistry AS (b)

Year 13: Further Maths AS and A2 (pred. A), Biology (pred. A*) and Chemistry A2 (pred. A)

The problem is, they want 3 A2 and 1 AS to be sat over Year 12 and 13.

Whereas my situation is: 3 A2 and another A2(maths) will have been sat over the two years which, for some reason, is unacceptable.
Hi :smile: those were my AS scores so does that mean that if I apply with an A predicted for chem and other 2 subjects, that I've got a chance? I havent sat the ukcat yet but does it have to be higher than 750? Do your as scores or your predicted grades count as tariff points? Sorry for bombarding you with questions, I appreciate your help! :smile:

It's fine, I'm happy to help. :smile: If you're carrying all 4 to A2 and your predicted grades are AAAB, then you would need a very high UKCAT score. If you get predictions of A*AAB, your score can be lower but I don't know how much lower unfortunately. :frown: As far as I know, your predicted grades count as tariff points. You can only count AS tariff points if you drop the subject and don't continue it to A2.

If you pick up another AS in your A2 year and you get predicted a B for it (to give you predictions of A*AABb), you would have 530 UCAS points and you would need around 690 on your UKCAT based on last year's stats. Your school would have to predict you a B on the AS you'd be self-teaching and it's also a lot of work on top of 4 A2s, so really think about it before you decide to do this. If you get 795 on your UKCAT, you would be fine too based on last year's stats, but I would still try to get better predictions just to be safe. If you don't end up picking up another AS, predicted grades of A*AAA would be alright with a UKCAT of probably between 730-750. My estimates might be off though, so check with someone else just to be sure. When is your UKCAT? Also, General Studies and Critical Thinking would both go towards the total tariff points even though they won't be part of your offer. As far as I can tell, anything that has tariff points can be used to increase your total.

http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables

Look through that link and see if anything applies to you (dance, music, EPQ etc). I know music and EPQ tariff points would definitely be included in your tariff point total. If you see something you want to do or have done, email Barts and ask them if it is acceptable as part of the tariff total.

They state the following on their website:

UCAS tariff is made up of a number of academic and non-academic qualifications. Applicants are encouraged to review the list of ‘tariffable’ qualifications and must ensure that all qualifications they have taken and/or are taking are listed on their UCAS application in order to be taken into consideration. As well as AS and A2 levels, other examples of tariffable qualifications include the Cambridge Pre-U, the ‘Extended Project’, the International Baccalaureate, the Irish Leaving Certificate, and Music Examinations. We will calculate your tariff for all tariffable qualifications you list on your UCAS application including those that are not taken into consideration for meeting our minimum academic requirements e.g. An AS or A’level in General Studies or Critical Thinking.

If you can already play a musical instrument, take the Grade 6 exam. I'm not sure what they're like or how much work they require, but a Distinction gives you 15 extra points so maybe look into that.

Good luck!
Original post by TheAsian
So, I've been told I can't apply to Queen Mary, because of my A Level situation:

Year 11: English AS (a) and Maths AS (a)

Year 12: Maths A2 (A), Biology AS (a), Chemistry AS (b)

Year 13: Further Maths AS and A2 (pred. A), Biology (pred. A*) and Chemistry A2 (pred. A)

The problem is, they want 3 A2 and 1 AS to be sat over Year 12 and 13.

Whereas my situation is: 3 A2 and another A2(maths) will have been sat over the two years which, for some reason, is unacceptable.

I think you'll be fine if you pick up an AS in Year 13. Your college would have to predict you a B for it which can be difficult as I know some colleges are reluctant to give you predicted grades if you self-teach something. If your college is like mine, you might be able to attend AS lessons during your free periods. Email Barts just to make sure sitting an AS in Year 13 is okay and does fulfill the AS requirement. I'd imagine it's okay as there is no requirement of sitting the AS in Year 12 anywhere on their website.

Good luck!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 90
It's fine, I'm happy to help. :smile: If you're carrying all 4 to A2 and your predicted grades are AAAB, then you would need a very high UKCAT score. If you get predictions of A*AAB, your score can be lower but I don't know how much lower unfortunately. :frown: As far as I know, your predicted grades count as tariff points. You can only count AS tariff points if you drop the subject and don't continue it to A2.

If you pick up another AS in your A2 year and you get predicted a B for it (to give you predictions of A*AABb), you would have 530 UCAS points and you would need around 690 on your UKCAT based on last year's stats. Your school would have to predict you a B on the AS you'd be self-teaching and it's also a lot of work on top of 4 A2s, so really think about it before you decide to do this. If you get 795 on your UKCAT, you would be fine too based on last year's stats, but I would still try to get better predictions just to be safe. If you don't end up picking up another AS, predicted grades of A*AAA would be alright with a UKCAT of probably between 730-750. My estimates might be off though, so check with someone else just to be sure. When is your UKCAT? Also, General Studies and Critical Thinking would both go towards the total tariff points even though they won't be part of your offer. As far as I can tell, anything that has tariff points can be used to increase your total.

http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables

Look through that link and see if anything applies to you (dance, music, EPQ etc). I know music and EPQ tariff points would definitely be included in your tariff point total. If you see something you want to do or have done, email Barts and ask them if it is acceptable as part of the tariff total.

They state the following on their website:

UCAS tariff is made up of a number of academic and non-academic qualifications. Applicants are encouraged to review the list of ‘tariffable’ qualifications and must ensure that all qualifications they have taken and/or are taking are listed on their UCAS application in order to be taken into consideration. As well as AS and A2 levels, other examples of tariffable qualifications include the Cambridge Pre-U, the ‘Extended Project’, the International Baccalaureate, the Irish Leaving Certificate, and Music Examinations. We will calculate your tariff for all tariffable qualifications you list on your UCAS application including those that are not taken into consideration for meeting our minimum academic requirements e.g. An AS or A’level in General Studies or Critical Thinking.

If you can already play a musical instrument, take the Grade 6 exam. I'm not sure what they're like or how much work they require, but a Distinction gives you 15 extra points so maybe look into that.

Good luck!

Thankyou! This is so helpful, I worked that if my predicted grades were to be A*A*A and with my as of A then that would be 460, I'm also doing a sports thing that should give me 30 ucas tariff points but I won't rely too much on that as I'm not sure as to how it works, good luck and thankyou so much for all your help! :smile:
Reply 91
How many are you carrying on to A2 and what are your predicted grades? I'd imagine you'd be fine though as your UCAS tariff is likely to be high because of all the subjects you do. :smile:

My UCAS tariff is likely to be 900 as I have worked out, but I am worried that my ukcat score will not make the interview cut off score as everyone this year are getting very high scores:frown:
Original post by mli26
My UCAS tariff is likely to be 900 as I have worked out, but I am worried that my ukcat score will not make the interview cut off score as everyone this year are getting very high scores:frown:

Is it 900 based on your subjects alone or a lot of other qualifications? Because that is crazy high. :eek: And the only cut-off is 2400 total score (so 600 average). With a UCAS tariff of 900, it'd make up for a lower UKCAT score. From last year's stats, 700 tariff points was enough to get an interview with a UKCAT score of 600. What is your UKCAT score if you've already sat it?
Thankyou! This is so helpful, I worked that if my predicted grades were to be A*A*A and with my as of A then that would be 460, I'm also doing a sports thing that should give me 30 ucas tariff points but I won't rely too much on that as I'm not sure as to how it works, good luck and thankyou so much for all your help! :smile:

Ask your college where to list the sports thing. :smile: Barts encourage applicants to put all qualifications that have tariff points so if it's on the tariff tables, you should include it. Getting more tariff points would make up for a lower UKCAT score as 795 is difficult to achieve. Sit your UKCAT and let us know how you get on. When you get the score, we'll try to estimate what tariff points you need.

Good luck and you're welcome! :biggrin:
Reply 94
I think you'll be fine if you pick up an AS in Year 13. Your college would have to predict you a B for it which can be difficult as I know some colleges are reluctant to give you predicted grades if you self-teach something. If your college is like mine, you might be able to attend AS lessons during your free periods. Email Barts just to make sure sitting an AS in Year 13 is okay and does fulfill the AS requirement. I'd imagine it's okay as there is no requirement of sitting the AS in Year 12 anywhere on their website.

Good luck!

Oh right, thanks. I think the problem lies in my subject choice; I'm doing Further Maths which is not regarded as separate from Maths if in the same sitting or something. I might have to do Psychology AS+A2 tbh. :frown:
Oh right, thanks. I think the problem lies in my subject choice; I'm doing Further Maths which is not regarded as separate from Maths if in the same sitting or something. I might have to do Psychology AS+A2 tbh. :frown:

They only consider one of Maths and Further Maths meaning they don't count them both towards an AAA offer. So the way I see it, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry are acceptable subjects as you did the exams within the 2 sixth form years. Maths wouldn't count towards your offer as far as I know as you started it in Year 11 and it would be considered as doing the A-level early. You should email all the universities you're considering and explain your situation.

And I did Psychology in under a year and sat all my exams in May/June 2013. It is very stressful but definitely do-able - I got an A* on it. My other subjects were Biology, Chemistry and Physics and I gotta say I really enjoyed Psychology as it was a break from my other subjects (as it was an essay subject) and it was really interesting. If your exam board's AQA, I can give you a lot of resources like presentations I made for units 1 and 2 and essays for units 3 and 4..if you want that is. :tongue:

If you think you can handle an extra A-level, go for it, but I think you should pick up an AS as all the universities require a B at least in an AS done within the 2 sixth form years. If your college has a policy of only allowing you to do 3 AS subjects in Year 12, you don't need to pick up an AS but you would need to send a note signed by your college to prove it. I think some universities such as Imperial don't require an AS if you're carrying on with 4 subjects (in the case of Imperial, AAAb or AAAC). An extra A-level would be good for Barts as it would increase your tariff points, but they also have a requirement of a B at AS so you might need to pick up an AS as well. Another option would be to do only AS Psychology.

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 96
They only consider one of Maths and Further Maths meaning they don't count them both towards an AAA offer. So the way I see it, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry are acceptable subjects as you did the exams within the 2 sixth form years. Maths wouldn't count towards your offer as far as I know as you started it in Year 11 and it would be considered as doing the A-level early. You should email all the universities you're considering and explain your situation.

And I did Psychology in under a year and sat all my exams in May/June 2013. It is very stressful but definitely do-able - I got an A* on it. My other subjects were Biology, Chemistry and Physics and I gotta say I really enjoyed Psychology as it was a break from my other subjects (as it was an essay subject) and it was really interesting. If your exam board's AQA, I can give you a lot of resources like presentations I made for units 1 and 2 and essays for units 3 and 4..if you want that is. :tongue:

If you think you can handle an extra A-level, go for it, but I think you should pick up an AS as all the universities require a B at least in an AS done within the 2 sixth form years. If your college has a policy of only allowing you to do 3 AS subjects in Year 12, you don't need to pick up an AS but you would need to send a note signed by your college to prove it. I think some universities such as Imperial don't require an AS if you're carrying on with 4 subjects (in the case of Imperial, AAAb or AAAC). An extra A-level would be good for Barts as it would increase your tariff points, but they also have a requirement of a B at AS so you might need to pick up an AS as well. Another option would be to do only AS Psychology.

I think the 3A2+1AS over Yrs 12+13 is only for QM...
One of my friends finished Maths in Year 12 so only had Bio, Chem and Psych in Year 13. She got her Medicine offer from Imperial.
Hmm...:s-smilie:

Thanks for all your advice, btw :biggrin:
I appreciate it!
(edited 10 years ago)
I think the 3A2+1AS over Yrs 12+13 is only for QM...
One of my friends finished Maths in Year 12 so only had Bio, Chem and Psych in Year 13. She got her Medicine offer from Imperial.
Hmm...:s-smilie:

Thanks for all your advice, btw :biggrin:
I appreciate it!

Sorry, does QM stand for Queen Mary? :colondollar:

If it does, I know quite a few universities that require a fourth AS: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

Birmingham also requires an AS at grade A (found out by emailing them - no indication of this requirement anywhere on their website or TSR).

If it worked out for your friend, the stuff I said is probably wrong. I'm guessing they counted Maths somehow. Email the relevant universities and explain your situation, they're in a much better position to tell you if you'd be able to apply as your situation is a little unique. Is it your college's policy to sit A-levels in Year 11? Do they only let you do 3 in Year 12 and 13 or did you both choose to do this?

And you're welcome. :biggrin:
Reply 98
Sorry, does QM stand for Queen Mary? :colondollar:

If it does, I know quite a few universities that require a fourth AS: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

Birmingham also requires an AS at grade A (found out by emailing them - no indication of this requirement anywhere on their website or TSR).

If it worked out for your friend, the stuff I said is probably wrong. I'm guessing they counted Maths somehow. Email the relevant universities and explain your situation, they're in a much better position to tell you if you'd be able to apply as your situation is a little unique. Is it your college's policy to sit A-levels in Year 11? Do they only let you do 3 in Year 12 and 13 or did you both choose to do this?

And you're welcome. :biggrin:

Haha, yes: QM = Queen Mary

I emailed all the London ones + Cambridge; QM seems to be the only one to have a problem with it.

My school/ sixth form offers the opportunity to do early AS Levels. I initially thought I could just finish Maths and do Bio and Chem for Year 13, but that's obv not the case :frown:
Haha, yes: QM = Queen Mary

I emailed all the London ones + Cambridge; QM seems to be the only one to have a problem with it.

My school/ sixth form offers the opportunity to do early AS Levels. I initially thought I could just finish Maths and do Bio and Chem for Year 13, but that's obv not the case :frown:

If the ones you're interested in don't have an AS requirement given your circumstances, then you're fine. :smile: Did you ask them about Further Maths? It should count towards your offer. What they normally mean by not accepting both is that you don't meet the entry requirements if you get AAA in Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry. Further Maths and Maths are viewed as the same subject just like Sports Science and Biology tend to be by some universities. AAA in Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology should be alright. If you're really worried you can pick up Psychology like you said. This will also increase your tariff points and put you in a better position for Barts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending