The Student Room Group

Bad AS results to great A2/A-levels results - success stories?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IBMum
This only applies to England. In Wales those taking WJEC Board will be able to retake their AS exams in January.

1) WJEC chose as an exam board to not allow and therefore scrap January exams , but Education Minister Leighton Andrews got angry - then stopped that and made them agree to January exams .

But then 1 month later ...

2) Leighton Andrews decided to remove January exams himself : as it would reduce costs and reduce assessment time .

So Wales don't have January exams ; even if they are with WJEC - or not .
(edited 10 years ago)
Not as impressive as some people on here, but I did AS- physics maths biology and chemistry and got DDDE.
I didn't retake the year and ended up doing 12 exams this summer and got ABC in maths physics and bio :biggrin: would have been better without coursework but I still got into my first choice so I'm happy :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by im so academic
What the ****?! Evidence of this please?

That's ****ing unfair.

1) WJEC chose as an exam board to not allow and therefore scrap January exams , but Education Minister Leighton Andrews got angry - then stopped that and made them agree to January exams .

2) Leighton Andrews decided to remove January exams himself : as it would reduce costs and reduce assessment time .

Original post by Tha Realest

I knew it was bull****.
Original post by Mar-Love-it
Not as impressive as some people on here, but I did AS- physics maths biology and chemistry and got DDDE.
I didn't retake the year and ended up doing 12 exams this summer and got ABC in maths physics and bio :biggrin: would have been better without coursework but I still got into my first choice so I'm happy :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's brilliant- Can you tell me how you managed to turn it around. What it took, the methods you used etc & it will be greatly appreciated as I need to turn around my grades- Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Thebest786
That's brilliant- Can you tell me how you managed to turn it around. What it took, the methods you used etc & it will be greatly appreciated as I need to turn around my grades- Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw, thank you. Well a few days after my AS results I sat down and drew up a timetable, scheduling the hours of work I'd do. I started straight away during August and carried on as school started again. I had penned in 50 hours of work (including school hours) into each week and stuck to the timetable religiously for the first 3 months. After that I started to move away from it a bit but it didn't matter because I was still doing the same amount of hours, just at times where I knew would be more efficient. It's a really nice feeling knowing that you don't have to stick to your timetable but knowing you can trust yourself to do the work anyway to make up for it. That's all the first 3 months were really, getting into the mentality of controlling your life. The academic achievements are merely a product of a fundamental change in the way you structure your time. You'll find your mind set changes and that you don't even debate whether you'll do your scheduled hours of work, you just know it'll happen.
It's also important to note that you need to take breaks. Seriously, don't just think you can work everyday for a year. You can't. Some days you just need to stop, but because you have to not because you're being lazy. I'm also quite an inefficient learner, possibily due to having mild dyslexia and dyspraxia; however I'm not going to pretend I know enough about either to say how much of an effect either had, although I suspect they did have an impact. My point is that you may find you won't need to do quite this much work for the same benefits.
What does matter however is that you do something about it now. Don't try to kid yourself either about whatever grades you got and putting it down to being 'unlucky'. Unfortunately, there's no hiding at A-level. You really do get what you deserve.
All the best and good luck.
I got BBCC at AS in IT, history, French and English Lang lit. Dropped French and came out with A*AB :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aw, thank you. Well a few days after my AS results I sat down and drew up a timetable, scheduling the hours of work I'd do. I started straight away during August and carried on as school started again. I had penned in 50 hours of work (including school hours) into each week and stuck to the timetable religiously for the first 3 months. After that I started to move away from it a bit but it didn't matter because I was still doing the same amount of hours, just at times where I knew would be more efficient. It's a really nice feeling knowing that you don't have to stick to your timetable but knowing you can trust yourself to do the work anyway to make up for it. That's all the first 3 months were really, getting into the mentality of controlling your life. The academic achievements are merely a product of a fundamental change in the way you structure your time. You'll find your mind set changes and that you don't even debate whether you'll do your scheduled hours of work, you just know it'll happen.
It's also important to note that you need to take breaks. Seriously, don't just think you can work everyday for a year. You can't. Some days you just need to stop, but because you have to not because you're being lazy. I'm also quite an inefficient learner, possibily due to having mild dyslexia and dyspraxia; however I'm not going to pretend I know enough about either to say how much of an effect either had, although I suspect they did have an impact. My point is that you may find you won't need to do quite this much work for the same benefits.
What does matter however is that you do something about it now. Don't try to kid yourself either about whatever grades you got and putting it down to being 'unlucky'. Unfortunately, there's no hiding at A-level. You really do get what you deserve.

Thanks alot- I will hopefully give it my all during the year & I should be able to turn it around. What are doing at university anyway?
Original post by Thebest786
Thanks alot- I will hopefully give it my all during the year & I should be able to turn it around. What are doing at university anyway?

Yeah all the best I hope it works out. Physics and Astrophysics :biggrin:
Yeah all the best I hope it works out. Physics and Astrophysics :biggrin:

Good luck with the rest of your course.
Reply 250

Could you upload a pic of the timetable? Just so I can have a rough idea

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 251
Original post by Tha Realest

Are you sure this is the case? Are you sure it includes pupils in the September 2012 cohort? I thought they were the last ones able to do January resits. See http://www.itv.com/news/wales/update/2013-06-13/january-as-a-level-exams-scrapped-after-2014/
This implies that this January will be the last opportunity as it says "after January 2014". Where did you get your information?
Original post by IBMum
Are you sure this is the case? Are you sure it includes pupils in the September 2012 cohort? I thought they were the last ones able to do January resits. See http://www.itv.com/news/wales/update/2013-06-13/january-as-a-level-exams-scrapped-after-2014/
This implies that this January will be the last opportunity as it says "after January 2014". Where did you get your information?

In Wales : after January 2014, there will be no further January assessment opportunities.
Reply 253
For clarity does that therefore mean there will be resits in January 2014 in Wales for WJEC Board?
Reply 254
Anyone have any success stories of getting bad at AS, but actually improving at lot in the A2 year?

How hard did you have to work for them?

I heard of someone that only managed a C, D and two Es in his first year, he retook all the modules and came out with three A*s in biology, chemistry and maths, and a B in AS physics in his second year ! So I guess if you work hard you can get what you want :smile:
There's exams for CCEA in January but only if you already started your A Level study in September 2012.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What the ****?! Evidence of this please?

That's ****ing unfair.

This is just more evidence that you flopped AS. :rofl:
Reply 257
Original post by hvanheerden1
I got BBCC at AS in IT, history, French and English Lang lit. Dropped French and came out with A*AB :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got the exact same grades this year for AS, BBCC, what were you able to get our teachers to predict you? I'm really worried I'll get low predictions even though I know that I just messed up with AS. I really want to go to a top university, mu unexpected AS results have got me very worried now...
Original post by ImAz
Could you upload a pic of the timetable? Just so I can have a rough idea

Posted from TSR Mobile

Marcus WEEK A-2.xls

i've just looked at my 'provisional' timetable and compared it to yours.Mine needs redesigning - yours is brilliant!

Quick Reply

Latest