The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Freshers 2013 Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Does anyone know when we would choose modules, and get our timetables etc? :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 361
Original post by FrustratedGirl
Hahahah...are you sure it was not because of the fact that it is the most cheapest? LoL

That may have had something to do with it... :wink: haha well this one was £4 and one of the others was £21 so I think I'd rather have this one :tongue:
Reply 362
Original post by s_axo
Does anyone know when we would choose modules, and get our timetables etc? :smile:

I think at the same time when you get full access to Warwick website and that's when you do your online enrolment which will be on around 3 weeks before the course start.

Sent from my GT-I9100
Reply 363
Original post by Rtcw
I think at the same time when you get full access to Warwick website and that's when you do your online enrolment which will be on around 3 weeks before the course start.

Sent from my GT-I9100

Awesome :smile: Thanks
Reply 364
Sorry for the mass of questions, but any sociologists, have you had any contact from the department regarding reading? I've had nothing and am worrying...
Reply 365
Original post by s_axo
Sorry for the mass of questions, but any sociologists, have you had any contact from the department regarding reading? I've had nothing and am worrying...

Its still really early dont worry i haven't heard anything either... when we can fully log in etc which is around 2-3 weeks before the course starts then we'll probably get more info

For now all u can do is upload your photo for your university card

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/welcome/

and prepare to move out and shop! x
Reply 366
Original post by Samzali1
Its still really early dont worry i haven't heard anything either... when we can fully log in etc which is around 2-3 weeks before the course starts then we'll probably get more info

For now all u can do is upload your photo for your university card

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/welcome/

and prepare to move out and shop! x

Thank you, Samzali. I have quite bad anxiety so get easily panicked over (seemingly) small things so this calmed be down a little. :redface:
Reply 367
Original post by s_axo
Thank you, Samzali. I have quite bad anxiety so get easily panicked over (seemingly) small things so this calmed be down a little. :redface:

Aww its no problem! :smile: x
Reply 368
Is anybody else as excited as I am about starting uni?!
Reply 369
Original post by *mike

I am too I can't wait. Is anyone studying law?
Original post by *mike

I'm excited, but scared at the same time!
Reply 371
Original post by cheeky
I am too I can't wait. Is anyone studying law?

Sorry, Econ for me.

Original post by guitardad
I'm excited, but scared at the same time!

I think the boredom I have at the moment has outweighed all my fears about uni! Why are you scared?
Original post by *mike
Sorry, Econ for me.

I think the boredom I have at the moment has outweighed all my fears about uni! Why are you scared?

It'll be like starting school all over again! I don't want to be too shy when meeting so many new people, but again i'm really excited to experience it all - if you know what I mean ?
Reply 373
It'll be like starting school all over again! I don't want to be too shy when meeting so many new people, but again i'm really excited to experience it all - if you know what I mean ?

Yeah I get you, if you don't meet anybody, hunt me out!

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling like this :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bexi_bex_10
I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling like this :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha, I feel the same as you guys. I'm going for Economics :P
Reply 376
I take a few days off and look what happens :rolleyes:

I've only gone back a couple of pages, if I have missed any questions, please quote me directly - you guys are talking like nobody's business! :tongue:

Original post by FloydRix
Do we have to pay a deposit for accomodation?

What times are halls open on the 28th september? Going to have to book plane tickets and much easier to book in advance.

No deposit is required for accommodation :nah: . Accommodation is paid on a termly basis and will need to be paid by week 3 of each term :yep:

You can move in from 9.30/10am on the Saturday :yep:

I'm sooo confused. The classics department has not sent an email/letter about reading any books prior to starting the degree. However, on the website it does give you a reading list. Do I have to read the books...would I be at disadvantage if i do not?

If they haven't sent you anything, then I would wait :yep: . The list on the website may be out of date :yep: . There's still, like 5 weeks till term starts, don't worry! :h: . They're actually only just closing for clearing :tongue: (I was in the admissions office the other day and the amount of people working on a mountain of paperwork :eek3: )

Original post by Hootie*
Do you need an NUS+ Card for most of the events?

Original post by s_axo
Does anyone know when we should buy our NUS extra card? Or if we need one :P

Your university card contains an opt-out membership to NUS, so will be more than fine to get you into NUS events :yep: . However, it doesn't count as an NUS Extra card, which gets you discounts everywhere :ahee: . It's only £12, and discounts are available at the major food outlets on the university campus (so free upgrades on chips at the Duck :teeth: , or pint of fruit juice for the price of half a pint at the Terrace Bar :ahee: , or even half price cake with a coffee at Curiositea! :awesome: )

Order it around the time you enrol. It'll be delivered to the Student's Union, and you'll be able to pick it up at Freshers Fair :yep:

Original post by hello calum
Yeah, the payment for the accommodation per term must be made from the start of each term. You can pay for the first term on the 30 of September, second term on 6th of January and the third term on the 23rd April :smile:

Does that mean you have to pay for accommodation the day that we start?

You'll have till the 1st November to pay your rent (or 24th October if by Direct Debit) :tongue: . The easiest way to do pay is by Direct Debit. The usual way is for them to set up a Direct Debit with your university account, and then they'll take the money automatically on the date they request (you get a week's warning for this, just so you can get the money in time :yep: ) . You can pay by cheque if you so wish, though cash is NOT an accetable form of payment :tongue:

hello calum

Does our Warwick NUS card give discounts the same as normal NUS cards? I mean, should I bother getting an NUS card when we are given one when we enroll?

This depends on the competency of the cashier :colone: . I've gotten many discounts with my Warwick card, though they should decline it :lol: . You'll need an NUS extra card for online purchases (so 5% of DVDs, CDs on Amazon) or getting your upgrades on campus :teeth: (see an above quote :yep: )

Original post by AJ-simbarsi
Are you allowed guests at freshers events?!?!?

Yes, you have to buy two tickets and be with your guest when you arrive. They must also have ID. I can't remember where I got this info from :s

Guests can also stay overnight if you ask your accommodation guys and they allow it :smile:

Calum is correct with this information :yep: . You can buy up to 4/5 tickets I think. What was happening, was students were buying about 10 tickets in 1 go for sell-out events and then 'selling' them on for a profit for people who didn't have a ticket :tongue: (so effectively taking Warwick students along as their 'guest :tongue: ). So they're limiting the ticket amounts for this year, I think.

Is the enrolment process opened? It said you'll receive an email that will ask you to enroll and you'll have to do it 3 or weeks before your course starts.

It'll be open in the next two weeks or so :yep: .

Original post by s_axo

This occurs once you've enrolled and got access to the university's central administration system :yep: . You have up till the middle of term 2 to 'register' for modules, so don't worry about it :lol: (though, obviously, you'll have missed a lot of lectures if you leave it that late! :tongue: )
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Nirgilis

You have up till the middle of term 2 to 'register' for modules, so don't worry about it :lol: (though, obviously, you'll have missed a lot of lectures if you leave it that late! :tongue: )

Would you recomend registering for courses before we arrive? Because I'm not too sure which ones to do yet and I thought maybe I could speak with my tutor about options? :confused:

[TSR won't let me rep you :frown: ]
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by *mike
Yeah I get you, if you don't meet anybody, hunt me out!

aha will do :tongue:
Reply 379
Would you recomend registering for courses before we arrive? Because I'm not too sure which ones to do yet and I thought maybe I could speak with my tutor about options? :confused:

[TSR won't let me rep you :frown: ]

That is perfectly acceptable, though I would recommend a different route - research all the modules you have available to you, then sign up to all the ones you like the sound of (for timetabling, so you don't miss anything :h: ), then, once you've had a taste of them/spoken to your tutor about it, deregister from the modules you don't like :yep:

This is completely department specific however, as your modules have to be approved by your administrator (so we wouldn't be allowed to do this in chemistry for example). So if they don't let you do that, just email them and explain what you're doing :yep: . If there's still an issue, go speak to your tutor on day 1 to get it sorted out quickly :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest