The Student Room Group

AQA GCE Geography Unit 3- 7th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3420
Hi thank you for the feedback, it's given me some piece of mind : ) Sorry I know I'm in the wrong thread haha :P
I was told I got 53/60 in this Unit which is 90 UMS A*, got it back and it's been marked 74 UMS which is 43/60 B, this has happened to a lot of my friends..coincidence?
Reply 3422
Original post by georassic_park
I was told I got 53/60 in this Unit which is 90 UMS A*, got it back and it's been marked 74 UMS which is 43/60 B, this has happened to a lot of my friends..coincidence?

this unit isn't out of 60?
Original post by V95
this unit isn't out of 60?

Must be the wrong thread haha sorry
Original post by georassic_park

what unit are you talking about?
Bit late but could anyone tell me how far off a B I was just out of interest, in UMS I got 272 out of 400. What did I need to reach a B?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3426
Original post by Jade10128
Bit late but could anyone tell me how far off a B I was just out of interest, in UMS I got 272 out of 400. What did I need to reach a B?

Posted from TSR Mobile

you were 8UMS off of a B overall, which could be something like 4 marks!
Original post by V95
you were 8UMS off of a B overall, which could be something like 4 marks!

Ah right, didn't know I was closeish. I only ask as my school has just emailed me notifying me they will automatically put my unit 3 paper in for a remark (without me paying!). Thanks for the quick reply! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3428
Ah right, didn't know I was closeish. I only ask as my school has just emailed me notifying me they will automatically put my unit 3 paper in for a remark (without me paying!). Thanks for the quick reply! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah, check on the UMS converter to see how many exact marks you need to gain 8 UMS :smile: no worries, hope it works out well for you and you get your B!
Original post by V95
yeah, check on the UMS converter to see how many exact marks you need to gain 8 UMS :smile: no worries, hope it works out well for you and you get your B!

Could you link me to that please? I can't find it :/ its so confusing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3430
Could you link me to that please? I can't find it :/ its so confusing

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums - if you can't figure it out then let me know and i'll work it out for you :smile:
Hey guys. Got my remark back today. They dropped my main paper by 4 ums so my remark went down. So no overall A for me. :frown: (luckily it did not affect my overall B)

The gits. >.<

I am never having anything remarked again....... They never go in my favour!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LittleRit
Hey guys. Got my remark back today. They dropped my main paper by 4 ums so my remark went down. So no overall A for me. :frown: (luckily it did not affect my overall B)

The gits. >.<

I am never having anything remarked again....... They never go in my favour!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I definitely agree! I got a D overall and was the equivalent of 1 mark off a C. They couldn't find one extra mark for me and it stayed the same. I second your comment!!
Original post by flower124
I definitely agree! I got a D overall and was the equivalent of 1 mark off a C. They couldn't find one extra mark for me and it stayed the same. I second your comment!!

Yep. 1ums off an A for me. :/ well.... I was.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3434
Please can someone assist me. I am wondering what the likelihood of me being able to achieve an A* in Geography is. I have just sat AS and I achieved Grade A with a UMS of 180. I got 130/140 in GEOG1, and 50/60 in GEOG2. I believe the UMS required for an A* is 360/400? Can anyone advise how likely I am to achieve it with my AS mark? What marks would I need to get GEOG3 and GEO4B? Thanks for your help.

Also I have been preparing my detailed revision notes in a PowerPoint. I have just finished my first set of notes for the specification point, 'The global pattern: millionaire cities, mega cities and world cities.' I am going to save what I have done so far in PDF format, and if I upload it to here, would someone be able to give them a quick read through to see if they think they're sufficiently detailed? If anyone finds them useful to revise from, I can upload more... :smile:

All the best,

Joe
Original post by 1312JC
Please can someone assist me. I am wondering what the likelihood of me being able to achieve an A* in Geography is. I have just sat AS and I achieved Grade A with a UMS of 180. I got 130/140 in GEOG1, and 50/60 in GEOG2. I believe the UMS required for an A* is 360/400? Can anyone advise how likely I am to achieve it with my AS mark? What marks would I need to get GEOG3 and GEO4B? Thanks for your help.

Also I have been preparing my detailed revision notes in a PowerPoint. I have just finished my first set of notes for the specification point, 'The global pattern: millionaire cities, mega cities and world cities.' I am going to save what I have done so far in PDF format, and if I upload it to here, would someone be able to give them a quick read through to see if they think they're sufficiently detailed? If anyone finds them useful to revise from, I can upload more... :smile:

All the best,

Joe

To get an A* you need to get an average of 90% in the A2 modules, and have an A at AS, so it doesn't matter how weak or strong your A in AS is. I didn't get an A* so I wont give you tips on getting one, just thought I'd clarify how the grading works.
Reply 3436
Thanks for the reply (and the PM from someone else. I am having trouble getting the PM function to work, but when I do I shall respond).

ElChapo, thanks for the confirmation. Does the UMS not directly correlate to the grade at A Level? I thought you need to achieve a total of 90% in the entire A level course to achieve an A*. I achieved exactly 90% in AS, so if I repeat this in A2 I assume that I would achieve an A*. I thought that if you achieved, say 100% in AS, you'd consequently be able to achieve less than 90% in A2, to still come out with over 90% overall (and therfore an A*) - is this not the case?

When you say an average of 90% in the modules, is that the case? So long as my total A2 examinations combine to equal at least 90% I should be OK (meaning that one of my exams can be slightly lower, and the other slightly higher than 90%).
Original post by St. Brynjar
Wrong thread but yes.

Do you have the paper and ms and examiner report for this? :biggrin:
Do you remember any of the questions from the world cities and tectonics structured questions? Obviously we haven't got access to the June paper yet, but I'm looking for some more past exam questions to tackle thank you! X
Reply 3439
Please Help,

Does anyone remember what the questions were to this paper- especially the 40 mark questions?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest