The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Help with Economics application and PS! Everyone is welcome. Thank you in advance!

Hello everyone! I will be applying this fall to Warwick (I am from Romania) for Economics. I will also apply to other Economics courses at other different universities (LSE, Exeter), to Economics and Business with East European Studies at UCL and to Economics and Management at Oxford.

I need your help regarding the following questions:

1. This is the most important question of all. How did you write your personal statement? Who helped you? In Romania, we have consultants or university advisers but they aren't to good, especially when it comes to applying to prestigious universities such as Warwick.
Would you recommend your Economics teacher or anyone who has helped you? I would be open to pay him/her and receive help via mail/skype. Furthermore, from the 17th to the 25th I will be in London.
I also know of the TSR PS helper but I am looking for someone who would advise me what to mention in my statement, what books to read, etc.

2. To what extent could I mention Management in my PS in order to get an interview at Oxford and still have good chances at Warwick?

3. What do you think about the courses I want to apply to?
Furthermore, what other courses have you applied to?

Any help is very much appreciated! Thank you in advance!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
would be worth checking out all the help and advice on TSR here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement_Library
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Thanks a lot mate!
Original post by ^ForTheDream^
Hello everyone! I will be applying this fall to Warwick (I am from Romania) for Economics. I will also apply to other Economics courses at other different universities (LSE, Exeter), to Economics and Business with East European Studies at UCL and to Economics and Management at Oxford.

I need your help regarding the following questions:

1. This is the most important question of all. How did you write your personal statement? Who helped you? In Romania, we have consultants or university advisers but they aren't to good, especially when it comes to applying to prestigious universities such as Warwick.
Would you recommend your Economics teacher or anyone who has helped you? I would be open to pay him/her and receive help via mail/skype. Furthermore, from the 17th to the 25th I will be in London.
I also know of the TSR PS helper but I am looking for someone who would advise me what to mention in my statement, what books to read, etc.

2. To what extent could I mention Management in my PS in order to get an interview at Oxford and still have good chances at Warwick?

3. What do you think about the courses I want to apply to?
Furthermore, what other courses have you applied to?

Any help is very much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Hi, I'm Heterosexual.

Is this for an undergraduate or postgraduate course?

I got accepted into a postgraduate and they posted some guidelines which can be explained here -

http://www.wbs.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/marketing-and-strategy/apply/

It is generic to all postgraduate courses and some of it should at least apply to your application to Warwick.

Statement of purpose
This should be around 500 words in length and answer the following:

Why have you selected this course? What are your motivating factors?

What are your areas of interest within the course?

What contributions do you feel you can make to the course?

How do you see the course affecting your career plans?

What evidence of research or reading in this area can you show?

The relevant section of the application form will accept up to 4,600 characters, including spaces, or you can upload your statement as a separate document, attached to your online application.

Reply 4
Thank you for your help! It is for an undergraduate course.
Reply 5
Bump this up!
Reply 6
The main part of the personal statement isn't being all fancy and having big words it's getting the point across that you're passionate about the subject you're applying too. So you most definitely don't need to pay someone else to write it for you. For extra reading for Economics I'm currently reading:
The truth about Markets by John Kay.
Depression Economics by Paul Krugman,
and Economist (weekly)
That's a bit overboard you really only need to read one at max 2 as a personal statement is quite short. Also get some relevant stuff done e.g. attending lectures, relevant work experience and you should be good to go.
Reply 7
Thank you for your help! Are you also applying this year?
Reply 8
Thank you for your help! Are you also applying this year?

Yup but I'm doing a joint hons so it's Economics & Maths.
Reply 9
Original post by Dilzo999
Yup but I'm doing a joint hons so it's Economics & Maths.

What is that?
Reply 10
What is that?

It's like 50% of a Maths degree and 50% of an Economics degree, but you learn the main components in both of them.
It's like 50% of a Maths degree and 50% of an Economics degree, but you learn the main components in both of them.

I see, that sounds interesting. Is this a degree at a University or what? I still don't get it...
Reply 12
I see, that sounds interesting. Is this a degree at a University or what? I still don't get it...

Yes a degree in a university. Basically it's exactly the same as a normal degree, 3 years, except you do both Maths and Economics components. Most universities have these type of courses.
Yes a degree in a university. Basically it's exactly the same as a normal degree, 3 years, except you do both Maths and Economics components. Most universities have these type of courses.

Oh, I know that. Like the MORSE course and etc. You can't make a joint hons degree yourself? Like Economics and Physics?
Reply 14
Since this is an economics topic I thought I could drop by to ask a quick question:
Why is Warwick Uni so highly rated in economics? I'm asking because I see people mentioning Warwick Uni everywhere for economics, but I never managed to read why? It seems to me like it's a university in a smaller city (~330k ppl) where no large investment banks of financial institutions are based at, therefore with low prospects of an internship or placement.
What is it really like? Do a lot of economics students get good internships and does one of its departments have a placement year as an option?
I believe it is that rated because it is old and it has gained prestige with time. It doesn't matter where the University is located because they probably have contacts with firms, companies and banks all around the country. That is what I believe, so they may send you in London at a large investment bank. :wink:
Bump this up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending