The Student Room Group

Oxford Physics Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rinsed

Everyone writes on their personal statement about how much they love physics and all these books they've read and all these things they've done. Most of it is pretty much bull**** and if you speak to most physics undergrads they will have done very little physics-relevant outside school. Personally I read some books but I could never have claimed to have understood them at that time, but then I was never asked so whatever. On the other hand I know people who genuinely did a lot of (what I thought was quite impressive) extracurricular physics stuff who didn't get in. From what I've heard they just find the easiest ways to differentiate genuine talent are the PAT and the interview.

do they actually ask you questions about the book like for example 'in one of the parts of the book what was blahblahblah?' or do they just ask you things like what was the most fascinating thing about that book to you?
Reply 2201
Original post by physics4ever
do you think if i took chemistry one of the offer grades will be lower?if i did get an offer?

I thought they did it for all subjects but I'm not sure. It might say on the page of the course overview
Original post by fluteflute
The argument is that because the box says 'Grade' rather than 'UMS' then putting UMS in there is just wrong and shows you can't follow instructions. And high UMS is likely to be mentioned by your teacher in their reference, so it's arguably redundant.

On the other hand, I put UMS in that box and got an offer... :tongue:

I'm sure the option is grade/mark? I put my UMS as well and got an offer...
do they actually ask you questions about the book like for example 'in one of the parts of the book what was blahblahblah?' or do they just ask you things like what was the most fascinating thing about that book to you?

I doubt it. Chances are, the professor interviewing you has never read the book and there's no chance he'll waste his time reading it just for your interview. I'd be really surprised if you had to talk about a book at all (my interview was all physics and maths questions and I don't even think they'd read my personal statement), but if you did, it will just be questions like 'What bit did you find most interesting?' etc.
does anyone know if we get physics and maths Data and formula booklets for the PAT?
Reply 2205
does anyone know if we get physics and maths Data and formula booklets for the PAT?

You don't get any. If there are extra formulae needed they'll be given in the question
Original post by Rodya
You don't get any. If there are extra formulae needed they'll be given in the question

does that mean you have to memorise formulas? because i just did a question which needed the sum to infinity formula
Reply 2207
does that mean you have to memorise formulas? because i just did a question which needed the sum to infinity formula

Yeah, I'd advise knowing all of the AS maths and physics formulae as a mininum. Check what else is assumed on the website and learn those too
Original post by keromedic
Is it possible that they'll see maths, furthermaths and physics as too narrow a subject range or is that okay for his subject?

I don't know if this got answered, but I am almost certain that most tutors (including ours) would not care about subject range as long as you were good at the maths and physics, after all that is what you will be doing! Anything other than PAT, getting the grades, and interview does not really matter.
Hey, I'm just about to start year 12 and I've decided that I want to study phys and phil or phy alone, preferably at Oxford. I'm going to do: maths, phy, chem, bio, spanish (It's compulsory to take it to A2 and to do the Spanish literature AS) and german (I'll probably just take it to AS).
Should I change anything? Go for other subjects instead?
Thanks for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2210
Original post by CrisSBaader
Hey, I'm just about to start year 12 and I've decided that I want to study phys and phil or phy alone, preferably at Oxford. I'm going to do: maths, phy, chem, bio, spanish (It's compulsory to take it to A2 and to do the Spanish literature AS) and german (I'll probably just take it to AS).
Should I change anything? Go for other subjects instead?

As said in the other thread, you should drop down to five AS levels at most four would be enough including further maths.
Original post by BJack
As said in the other thread, you should drop down to five AS levels at most four would be enough including further maths.

What should I drop then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2212
What should I drop then?

Biology and chemistry, given that the languages shouldn't be a problem for you.
Original post by BJack
Biology and chemistry, given that the languages shouldn't be a problem for you.

The thing is that I don't think my school offers further maths and they strongly recommend students to take 3 strong subjects apart from the languages

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2214
The thing is that I don't think my school offers further maths and they strongly recommend students to take 3 strong subjects apart from the languages

Oh. That's slightly awkward.... You could always look into whether the further maths network (link) can give you any support.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you could always teach yourself further maths? thats what im doing anyway :smile:
you could always teach yourself further maths? thats what im doing anyway :smile:

That's what i kind of did for my IGCSE further math and well... It didn't precisely work out :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's what i kind of did for my IGCSE further math and well... It didn't precisely work out :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

what happened?im not really having any troubles, i just ask people here if im stuck and i havent come across anything that i couldnt get my head around,ive actually finished teaching my self everything this summer!
what happened?im not really having any troubles, i just ask people here if im stuck and i havent come across anything that i couldnt get my head around,ive actually finished teaching my self everything this summer!

I got a D...
I should have taken it more seriously, but I didn't have the time :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a D...
I should have taken it more seriously, but I didn't have the time :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

you could start teaching yourself further maths now,and by june you could have taught yourself it like 4 times and be a master! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending