The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Disappointing. United should really be breaking down lesser teams who park the bus. Good performances all round although the gulf in class between the two sides was obvious.

Moyes outmanoeuvring Maureen tactically.
Can see Kagawa heading back to Dortmund if he has another inconsistent season this year. If Rooney stays think it'll be difficult for him as he can't play in his best position. Also re Rooney, a cynical view could be that he was just being professional tonight, or that he wanted to show Mourinho how good he was so that he'd push even harder to sign him. Either way still think it'll be a shocking decision selling him, he still has a lot to offer.
Like I said thought it would be a low goalscoring draw. Disappointed we didn't try to win the match, but it's better than us losing to you guys, both teams should gain confidence from this result anyway and it was a fair result as you guys were poor attacking wise and same for us in attack.
Original post by Mr_Vain
You guys are lucky their 'impact' sub was Torres. The guy is bloody awful.

2 out of the 3 Mourinho subs were defensive Azpilicueta for Hazard and Mikel for Schurrle. Seemed content with a point from the beginning with no front men. With the players they've got they could have won the game.
Surprised that Chelsea were so negative with all of those creative attacking midfelders in the team. I guess I've just forgotten how Mourinho lines up in big matches. We played a decent game, but with zero ideas when it came to breaking down Chelsea. Valencia was good in defence and bailed out Jones a few times in the first half, but his attacking play was poor. Even Young put in some decent crosses when he came on.

It would have been a great game to bring Kagawa on, but it probably wasn't happening with Rooney on the field. I also thought Cleverley had a very good game. Best game from him in a while.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8985
Original post by poiuytrewq54321
2 out of the 3 Mourinho subs were defensive Azpilicueta for Hazard and Mikel for Schurrle. Seemed content with a point from the beginning with no front men. With the players they've got they could have won the game.

Azpilicueta came on in the final minute presumably to waste time. Mikel was a likewise decision. I could Utd scoring to be honest in the final minutes there so it was understandable they did not want to take risks. 1 point is better than 0 points, their attack was not all that, i could not see an end product in them when they brought Torres on. Even though Evra was leaving the back exposed as per usual.
Reply 8986
Also, have to say I thought Carrick and Cleverley were very impressive in midfield today. Not too many silly balls given away, lots of interceptions and good passing. I know Chelsea didn't really put up much of a fight, but they did press us high up the pitch sometimes and those two seemed comfortable in possession. Cleverley maybe was a bit negative with his passing, but I think that was due to Chelsea's relentless defending. Interesting to see if they can keep that up, or well, if Cleverley can keep that up. Quite comforting considering our predicted midfield woes, though I'd still like at least another squad player in the midfield as we don't have enough mids.
4 points from our 2 games so far. I would have taken that when the fixtures came out. Plus two clean sheets at Old Trafford so impressed with our defensive display especially with Vidic and Ferdinand, hopefully they can stay fit though.
Reply 8988
Original post by Mr_Vain
You guys are lucky their 'impact' sub was Torres. The guy is bloody awful.

They were lucky IMO that we didn't have Hernandez and Nani on the bench, both would've added pace and creativity.
Moyes basically just said we were in for Bale
Reply 8990
Cleverly, Carrick and Rooney were great tonight but if I had to dig at Rooney he went for a couple of selfish shots when he should've took the pass to RVP.
Original post by DaveSmith99

That's mean a winger would have to leave as Zaha and Bale would cause a lot of competition, plus is he worth it?
What did he say? Would seem like a non starter. We won't match Madrid for money, and Spurs would have to suffer the indignity of having Bale score against them twice a season. I wonder what edge we feel we have the deal, unless Bale is getting cold feet about life in Spain.
Original post by doggyfizzel
What did he say? Would seem like a non starter. We won't match Madrid for money, and Spurs would have to suffer the indignity of having Bale score against them twice a season. I wonder what edge we feel we have the deal, unless Bale is getting cold feet about life in Spain.

When asked about Bale he said something about United always being in for the best players and continually looking to improve the team, then something about the owners making available whatever he needed to do that. Then when asked to clarify he refused to.

Original post by rohitbd

That's mean a winger would have to leave as Zaha and Bale would cause a lot of competition, plus is he worth it?

He's not worth £80m+ no, I very much doubt we will have offered even close to that anyway so our chances of getting him are slim to say the least.
Reply 8993
Obvs Bale would be amazing, but, ignoring every other factor in the situation, he seems to prefer to play on the right or through the centre these days, positions we already have lots of people in. Doesn't seem like he fills a hole that we need filling. But obviously he's better than what we have now.
Bale would be fantastic, because we don't have any direct wingers. Well, we do, but Nani doesn't get played. It's not happening, because Levy won't sell in this league and Man United doesn't pay that much money for players.
Reply 8995
I think Rooney may have just used Chelsea in a similar way Cesc used us, I think he wanted to show to the club/fans that RVP is not the only star at United and that if we don't appreciate him he'll be off, his performance wasn't his best but he showed a lot of fight and determination, something which IMO was lacking from him in the second half of last season.
Original post by rohitbd
I think Rooney may have just used Chelsea in a similar way Cesc used us, I think he wanted to show to the club/fans that RVP is not the only star at United and that if we don't appreciate him he'll be off, his performance wasn't his best but he showed a lot of fight and determination, something which IMO was lacking from him in the second half of last season.

He can't expect to be always played and be appreciated when he puts in some of the performances he did last season. If he continues to play like he did today, nobody would ever question him.

We'd have to match or beat Real Madrid's offer which isn't going to happen, and even if it did I can't see why Levy would want to deal with us again after Berbatov. There is more chance of Djemba Djemba coming back than Bale joining.
That number 7 shirt does need filling..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
We'd have to match or beat Real Madrid's offer which isn't going to happen, and even if it did I can't see why Levy would want to deal with us again after Berbatov. There is more chance of Djemba Djemba coming back than Bale joining.

I'd quite like Djemba Djemba back, if he plays as he did for those 20 minutes on his debut.

Latest