The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter changing offer to Falmouth - what can we do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by JTP94
Isn't it plausible that the process works in a way that the campus applied for is a 'preferred campus' much like the accommodation application process works? Despite the obvious inconvenience of the distance and location it is not as though it's a case of getting an offer at one uni and being sent to another.
No - that would only apply if the course had the same code - which isn't the case here.

Original post by nic-nac
They told her that if in her remark she ended up with A*AB then she could go to the campus she applied for. Which is changing the conditions of her offer on results day, which is bang out of order.
Precisely.

Original post by LouiseOrd
Did you read mine? I was going by what's in the prospectus, which doesn't mention the word equivalent, which would be where the A*BB comes in. I said, if she has it in black and white that they gave her a different offer to what they offer in the prospectus, then fair play. But as I said, no one I know has had an offer that only relies on one A/A* grade.
What the OP was quoting was the offer as given to her niece - a uni does not have to mirror what's in the prospectus and can make different offers if they want to. A year or two back, we had a running problem with unis increasing their core requirements after their prospectus had been published. It's the offer as written on Track which counts.

Original post by nic-nac
That might be the case when you apply, but once you've got your offer, it should be set as to which campus you're going to.

The prospectus is a good thing to look at, but when her offer was given and met, exeter should keep their side of the deal.
Indeed they should. And by offering the travel vouchers they made it very clear that they knew they were out of order in doing what they did.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 101
Yeah big organisation trying to bend the rules and see if they can get away with it. I would tell Exeter to stick their offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 102
Exeter is a lively city with a vibrant student population and your experience in Penryn/Falmouth would be very different. It's a small university in a small coastal town. If you don't like the sound of it, I suggest you withdraw and take a year off or apply to Royal Holloway through clearing because I think there are still places available on their highly rated Politics and International Relations.
Reply 103
Original post by Julesinos
Sorry guys. No good news. UCAS are 'looking into it' but no response yet. For the record, the application WAS to Streatham campus only, not to Cornwall. The offer was confirmed on results day for Exeter Uni, she accepted it and THEN received a letter stating she could only go to Cornwall and they realised she might be disappointed blah blah, here's 100 pounds towards travel vouchers. If she'd failed to get the grade Exeter was asking for, she'd have been rejected by them and would have gone to her reserve choice, Southampton, but she didn't get that option. It's gone quiet because we are also trying to have a family holiday. My niece has decided to go for a re-mark on one paper. Exeter will give her a place at Streatham IF she gets an A. (So yes, they do have places on this course at Streatham ...) If not, she's taking a year out and will apply elsewhere. You also get awarded your degree by the University of Exeter - so there is no snobbery between campuses - you are getting exactly the same award as those on the streatham campus - nobody would ever know you went to Cornwall and not streatham.

I think, for me, that's the end of it. If anything spectacular changes or UCAS get back to us, I'll let you know.

I think you're being a bit melodramatic! Falmouth isn't that bad - there are advantages to the campus there - like the intimate feel, beach/cornish location, extremely safe and probably the cheapest place to live in the country. It has amazing student satisfaction - I have never seen such optimistic, enthusiastic students when I visited. The teaching is obviously a high standard and it is research led. I know the location isn't great for travelling but it might only be for a year - she could transfer in the second year to a uni elsewhere of she didn't like it.

Also, the course she applied for is quite a popular one. There were a lot of courses in clearing for that course or similar. If she had enquired about it a week ago - she would easily have got a place at another Russell group - if not Exeter, then Southampton, Birmingham, Nottingham, QMUL, Leeds, Newcastle, Manchester, Cardiff, York, Warwick - there were so many places in clearing this year - a huge selection last week.

What Exeter did was wrong - but if she was quick on her feet and looking around - she would have found another place elsewhere if she was not happy with Falmouth.
(edited 10 years ago)
If the university is legally in the wrong - is there not something that can be done? Have you spoken to Exeter directly?
Reply 105
Original post by arty
I think you're being a bit melodramatic! Falmouth isn't that bad - there are advantages to the campus there - like the intimate feel, beach/cornish location, extremely safe and probably the cheapest place to live in the country. It has amazing student satisfaction - I have never seen such optimistic, enthusiastic students when I visited. The teaching is obviously a high standard and it is research led. I know the location isn't great for travelling but it might only be for a year - she could transfer in the second year to a uni elsewhere of she didn't like it.

Also, the course she applied for is quite a popular one. There were a lot of courses in clearing for that course or similar. If she had enquired about it a week ago - she would easily have got a place at another Russell group - if not Exeter, then Southampton, Birmingham, Nottingham, QMUL, Leeds, Newcastle, Manchester, Cardiff, York, Warwick - there were so many places in clearing this year - a huge selection last week.

What Exeter did was wrong - but if she was quick on her feet and looking around - she would have found another place elsewhere if she was not happy with Falmouth.
This applicant believed - with good reason - that she had a confirmed place at Exeter for the course she'd applied for - which is only offered at the Streatham campus. The course at Falmouth has a similar name but a different course code. Exeter unilaterally changed the course code and campus without consulting with the applicant, and did so after several days had elapsed. She was absolutely entitled to her place as originally agreed, and that is where she wanted to go. By the time it was clarified what exactly it was that Exeter had done and why, there was even less chance of her finding a suitable alternative in Clearing - but the key point is that she shouldn't have had to do it!

As for transferring at the end of her first year, no-one should start a university course anywhere with that as an intention. Quite apart from anything else, the first year material covered at Falmouth would have to be compatible with another course, and as others have found this is not always the case.
Reply 106
Original post by Minerva
This applicant believed - with good reason - that she had a confirmed place at Exeter for the course she'd applied for - which is only offered at the Streatham campus. The course at Falmouth has a similar name but a different course code. Exeter unilaterally changed the course code and campus without consulting with the applicant, and did so after several days had elapsed. She was absolutely entitled to her place as originally agreed, and that is where she wanted to go. By the time it was clarified what exactly it was that Exeter had done and why, there was even less chance of her finding a suitable alternative in Clearing - but the key point is that she shouldn't have had to do it!

As for transferring at the end of her first year, no-one should start a university course anywhere with that as an intention. Quite apart from anything else, the first year material covered at Falmouth would have to be compatible with another course, and as others have found this is not always the case.

my reaction was to her saying "oh she's going to have to take a year out now" - she doesn't have to. There are other options.

I totally understand what Exeter did was wrong and she should try and reason her way on to the course - but to be fair she didn't get the outstanding grades for Exeter Streatham Campus. I have heard though a couple of success stories from very determined people who didn't get into their unis on results day and actually went in person to the university to try and persuade them - and they both got onto the course! It is harder to say no in person.

Life is unfair - sometimes **** happens - you have to problem solve and make the best of everything. If she had got on to clearing straight away - she might have ended up with a better place than Exeter e.g Durham or Warwick.
Reply 107
Original post by arty
my reaction was to her saying "oh she's going to have to take a year out now" - she doesn't have to. There are other options.

I totally understand what Exeter did was wrong and she should try and reason her way on to the course - but to be fair she didn't get the outstanding grades for Exeter Streatham Campus. I have heard though a couple of success stories from very determined people who didn't get into their unis on results day and actually went in person to the university to try and persuade them - and they both got onto the course! It is harder to say no in person.

Life is unfair - sometimes **** happens - you have to problem solve and make the best of everything. If she had got on to clearing straight away - she might have ended up with a better place than Exeter e.g Durham or Warwick.
Well, taking a place through Clearing, in a rush when you haven't had the opportunity to consider the options properly, can be a recipe for dropping out in six months' time.

The point is, if "outstanding grades" were required for Streatham campus, the offer should have reflected that - and it didn't. Universities are not expected to change their offer conditions at all once the offer has been accepted, let alone once it has been met and that fact has been confirmed on Track. As for your assertion that there were options at Durham or Warwick - there may have been on 15 August, but this development didn't happen until the following week - by which time it would have been too late to be in contention for them. Incidentally, Durham's Clearing process this year left a great deal to be desired.
Original post by arty

The issue with this case is that it fundamentally undermines the nature of the relationship that has hitherto obtained between university and applicant. The applicant did everything she was supposed to do: chose the course sensibly, obtained an offer and met that offer. The university did not stick to its side and unilaterally changed the course without even consulting her. If universities are now able to do that, it creates a world of uncertainty for all future applicants. There is little point in applicants being advised to research the course carefully and attend open days etc if they are then applying on grounds which turn out to be quicksand. And Durham appear to have behaved shamefully this year during clearing, incidentally.
What have Durham done in clearing this year? I've missed that!
Original post by RibenaRockstar
What have Durham done in clearing this year? I've missed that!

Full story here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2429802

If you reached into a dusty corner of your stockroom and pulled down an old guide to admissions which university always won the Maria Callas Trophy for Selflessness?
Original post by nulli tertius
If you reached into a dusty corner of your stockroom and pulled down an old guide to admissions which university always won the Maria Callas Trophy for Selflessness?

Dusty corner? Dusty corner? My stockroom full of elderly UCCA and PCAS handbooks is meticulously maintained, I'll have you know!
Original post by Olliedev
Exeter is a lively city with a vibrant student population and your experience in Penryn/Falmouth would be very different. It's a small university in a small coastal town. If you don't like the sound of it, I suggest you withdraw and take a year off or apply to Royal Holloway through clearing because I think there are still places available on their highly rated Politics and International Relations.

I very much second this!

I actually had an offer to study at the Cornwall Campus and changed to Politics at Royal Holloway and can't recommend the course enough. It's a fairly small department which means a lot of one on one time with academics. I also did lots of trips with them - went to the EU Parliament and a Model UN competition in NYC.

I graduated with a 2:1 and couldn't have been happier with my experience.

They do have places left in clearing for ABB applicants so I'd really recommend it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending