The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5220
Original post by Myocardium
Definitely mixed :smile: I personally would want all the people I've/we've (as in husband and I) invited together and not separated the reason being that the majority of people would be known to us/family personally. I've noticed some Pakistani couples would prefer to leave the majority of the guest list making to their parents which can lead to you not knowing a lot of the people invited and huge-ass weddings, though I understand that some people may have reservations about attending mixed wedding due to their faith.

Definitely mixed if I get married :tongue: I've been to one where it's separate and it's sooo awkward cos I didn't know anyone there!! :laugh:
Hello :smile:

I wanted to ask you guys a question if you don't mind. In your experiences do Pakistani weddings tend to separate men and women, or are they often mixed? Imo the vast majority of Pak weddings I've attended were segregated so I was wondering how common a phenomenon this was. And also if you don't mind answering, since a lot of Pakistanis on TSR were brought up in the UK, would you personally want a segregated or mixed wedding? Thanks :smile:

The majority I've been to have been mixed, though a few been segregated. If I get married I'd personally prefer mixed too.
Original post by Revent
Definitely mixed if I get married :tongue: I've been to one where it's separate and it's sooo awkward cos I didn't know anyone there!! :laugh:

Separated weddings in general seem to be soo awkward! They never play music or any of that kinda stuff (of course I suppose if they were to separate men and women then they're really quite religious in the first place). I am so not letting that happen to me :tongue:

Original post by Dhaal_Chawal
The majority I've been to have been mixed, though a few been segregated. If I get married I'd personally prefer mixed too.

I think I've been to a mixed Pak wedding like twice and those were when I was younger :redface: What is the atmosphere like? Isn't it taboo in Pakistani culture to have men and women who may not know each other in the same venue? Do some women cover up? Imo seperating creates awkwardness and boredom but hey whatever floats their boat :dontknow:

I think I've been to a mixed Pak wedding like twice and those were when I was younger :redface: What is the atmosphere like? Isn't it taboo in Pakistani culture to have men and women who may not know each other in the same venue? Do some women cover up? Imo seperating creates awkwardness and boredom but hey whatever floats their boat :dontknow:

The atmosphere's okay I suppose, nothing wrong with it :tongue:
I think it depends what part of Pakistan your families are originally from, my parents were born in East Africa though both their families are originally from Lahore which is quite liberal compared to the rural areas, gender mixing generally isn't an issue there (Though I can't claim to be an expert since I've never been there). So it isn't taboo for us at all.
By cover up I'm guessing you mean face veil/Niqab? I don't think anyone in my extended family has ever covered up the face, and generally the sort of families they marry into don't do that either, so I can't remember seeing any women cover up, though there probably were a few that I can't remember.
I agree with your last line.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5224
Separated weddings in general seem to be soo awkward! They never play music or any of that kinda stuff (of course I suppose if they were to separate men and women then they're really quite religious in the first place). I am so not letting that happen to me :tongue:

Yeah, I'm not religious at all :lol:
I've only been to two weddings in my life :tongue: and the first one was over 10 years ago so I've only had a mega awkward experience :tongue:
Original post by Revent
Yeah, I'm not religious at all :lol:
I've only been to two weddings in my life :tongue: and the first one was over 10 years ago so I've only had a mega awkward experience :tongue:

Ohh I see :smile: Do you still have faith in a religion though? (don't answer if you don't want to, it's quite a touchy subject especially on TSR and I don't want to start a religious debate :tongue:). Haha really? People say that weddings in Pakistan are much more fun than the ones here apparently :K:
Reply 5226
Ohh I see :smile: Do you still have faith in a religion though? (don't answer if you don't want to, it's quite a touchy subject especially on TSR and I don't want to start a religious debate :tongue:). Haha really? People say that weddings in Pakistan are much more fun than the ones here apparently :K:

Yeah, at times I do, at times I don't know :tongue: What about you? You sound like a medic/to be medic :tongue:

Yeah, everyone tells me that, but I've only been to Pakistan when I was a tiny baby :tongue: so I have no idea what a Pakistani wedding is really like :laugh:
Original post by Revent
Yeah, at times I do, at times I don't know :tongue: What about you? You sound like a medic/to be medic :tongue:

Used to, now I don't :colondollar: (rather controversial I know :tongue:) Lol what makes you think I sound like one? :K:

Yeah, everyone tells me that, but I've only been to Pakistan when I was a tiny baby :tongue: so I have no idea what a Pakistani wedding is really like :laugh:

Lol me neither :') I like wedding food though, that's probably the best thing about it...
Reply 5228
Used to, now I don't :colondollar: (rather controversial I know :tongue:) Lol what makes you think I sound like one? :K:

Lol me neither :') I like wedding food though, that's probably the best thing about it...

:laugh: Well, I think my posts kind of dictate how religious I am :tongue: Each to their own, I honestly couldn't care! :smile: Well Myocardium was a bit of a giveaway :tongue: Although it could just mean you like hearts :laugh:

Ooh so why don't you believe anymore? :smile: If you don't mind me asking? :smile:

idk, I like the halwa and ice cream combo :tongue: that's it :lol:
:hoppy:
Reply 5230
Original post by lilmissshady
:hoppy:

sup Ulquiorra? :wink:
Original post by Revent
:laugh: Well, I think my posts kind of dictate how religious I am :tongue: Each to their own, I honestly couldn't care! :smile: Well Myocardium was a bit of a giveaway :tongue: Although it could just mean you like hearts :laugh:

Ooh so why don't you believe anymore? :smile: If you don't mind me asking? :smile:

idk, I like the halwa and ice cream combo :tongue: that's it :lol:

That's nice to know you don't really mind about whether or not others believe - a lot of people I know would be extremely judgemental/ostracising because of it :/ Haha you guessed right! I is a fresher :woohoo:

There are loads of really long reasons, far to many to post on here in a single post :tongue:

Halwa and ice cream? :lolwut: lolwut? I've never tried that... Truth be right I only really like cold kheer - I prefer the savoury/spicy foods rather that the deserts :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5232

I wanted to ask you guys a question if you don't mind. In your experiences do Pakistani weddings tend to separate men and women, or are they often mixed? Imo the vast majority of Pak weddings I've attended were segregated so I was wondering how common a phenomenon this was. And also if you don't mind answering, since a lot of Pakistanis on TSR were brought up in the UK, would you personally want a segregated or mixed wedding? Thanks :smile:

Most I've been to have been mixed, only segregated ones I've seen are if the family are very religious. I'd personally have a mixed one as I would would want all my family and friends together, that may not be considerate for other guests however but...I only plan to invite closest family and friends none of this that auntie from Dad's second cousins side...etc.

I'm talking like I'm getting married lool but yh IF that is.
Reply 5233
That's nice to know you don't really mind about whether or not others believe - a lot of people I know would be extremely judgemental/ostracising because of it :/ Haha you guessed right! I is a fresher :woohoo:

There are loads of really long reasons, far to many to post on here in a single post :tongue:

Halwa and ice cream? :lolwut: lolwut? I've never tried that... Truth be right I only really like cold kheer - I prefer the savoury/spicy foods rather that the deserts :tongue:

Oohhh where? :grin: Yeah, I don't really care tbh, each to their own. But having said that, I really won't like you one tiny bit if you think you're superior to others or think others are idiots for believing in God. :smile:

So does your family know you're not a Muslim? And would they be very happy if you decided to marry a non Muslim? :tongue:

Yeah, it actually tastes really nice. :tongue: I like kheer though :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Revent
sup Ulquiorra? :wink:

Why ulquiorra? The only bleach character I like is urehara :love:
Reply 5235
Original post by lilmissshady
Why ulquiorra? The only bleach character I like is urehara :love:

So who's in your profile picture? :tongue:
Original post by Revent
So who's in your profile picture? :tongue:

Hes called 'Cadis Etrama Di Raizel' (a.k.a. Rai), it's a manga/manhawa called 'the noblesse'...it's soooooooooooooo awesome :love: :love:
Check it out :wink: you'll like it
Reply 5237
:bebored:

:hello:
heyyy
Original post by Safx
:bebored:

:hello:
heyyy

Reply 5239
I don't think I've posted in here til today, I'm rather bored right now...glad to know there are other late night creepers around

Latest

Trending

Trending