The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6560
Original post by PonchoKid
Oh i am a failure lets be honest. I failed my dissertation which is the most important part... And i know i nearly dropped out at xmas in first year because it got too much.

Well considering i didnt even get the grades for the ****test of the unis that do my degree im pretty screwed!

Nope its always on my mind and being talked about how much i dont exist and my dad not acknowledging me its fine im not wanted i get it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why not focus on the second chance you've been given by your uni to redo your dissertation and use the negativity surrounding people thinking 'you're a failure' - which is untrue really; you still got into a university which more than some people could ever attain, to prove those people wrong and actually show them that you're not what they believe you are? Surely this second chance is an opportunity to prove those people wrong? :dontknow:

Also. I think the quote in my signature is quite poignant right now; particularly to your situation.
Original post by Deyesy
Why not focus on the second chance you've been given by your uni to redo your dissertation and use the negativity surrounding people thinking 'you're a failure' - which is untrue really; you still got into a university which more than some people could ever attain, to prove those people wrong and actually show them that you're not what they believe you are? Surely this second chance is an opportunity to prove those people wrong? :dontknow:

Also. I think the quote in my signature is quite poignant right now; particularly to your situation.

Because i threw the second chance in the bin and now hoping theyll give me a third chance with my extenuating circumstances, but im not holding out much hope

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6562
Because i threw the second chance in the bin and now hoping theyll give me a third chance with my extenuating circumstances, but im not holding out much hope

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought they already had said it was okay for you to redo it? Or have I missed something completely?
Original post by Deyesy
I thought they already had said it was okay for you to redo it? Or have I missed something completely?

No they said i can claim extenuating for the resit period but its not been cleared and given to me yet, deadline was friday so should find out this week i guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6564
No they said i can claim extenuating for the resit period but its not been cleared and given to me yet, deadline was friday so should find out this week i guess

Posted from TSR Mobile

Until you've exhausted all possible options there's still reason for hope surely; however dim it may seem?
(edited 10 years ago)
Hope everyone's bank holiday was fun and/or productive. Can't sleep right now as i'm in a sort of paniced and jittery state, brother's going away for a while and then will be gone for a few months leaving just me and the parents. I've sort of just been struck by unmitigated fear, whether of uni (the responsibilities, travel, finance, the course, dealing with social anxiety), meeting new people, putting myself in new situations with no back-up, not seeing nearly any of my friends for months on end when they move out.... I really wanted to move out for Uni and become independent but I can't stop caring for my mum as it's just irresponsible :/ It's just weird to think how much my life is about to change and how I haven't the faintest idea how i'll cope. Why can't I just forget about it instead of stay awake shaking and getting more and more agitated? I really need to get over myself. /rant over
Reply 6566
Bleurgh. Just bleurgh. Think I just upset someone really important to me and now I feel like an absolute d**k. Just want to curl up and cry
Let's give sleep a second go then...
Original post by Sarah'
Bleurgh. Just bleurgh. Think I just upset someone really important to me and now I feel like an absolute d**k. Just want to curl up and cry

:penguinhug: It happens to us all, just try and explain yourself when you can and say you're sorry, it'll work out in the end. Just try your best to take your mind off it until you're able to speak with them again.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Sarah'

:console: if you didn't mean to upset them maybe try and explain to them? you aren't a dick :nah: hopefully you can sort things out with them! hope you are doing okay otherwise as well! :hugs:
I have just under 3 weeks before I go back to university. I failed all 6 units but was transferring to a new course anyway. I always feel like a failure, for instance I wasted my student loan away with online gambling and ended up using most of my interest-free bank overdraft. My parents think I still have money left as in not overdrawn.

When I think about failure, I compare myself with other people my age, who got worse GCSE grades than me or the fact they decide not to learn (I talk about the 'neuro-typicals'). But it annoys me that these people have jobs, part time or full time, even from the age of 16 with little experience, I have better grades and I should be getting the chance to have a job that I would gain from. But of course, the world operates on businesses consisting of exceptionally sociable people, I would say exceptional because there are people with mental illnesses who are fortunate enough to get jobs, but it is usually the richer ones with more support and they have more connections from family and friends.
Reply 6570
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
Let's give sleep a second go then...
:penguinhug: It happens to us all, just try and explain yourself when you can and say you're sorry, it'll work out in the end. Just try your best to take your mind off it until you're able to speak with them again.

Original post by SciFiRory
:console: if you didn't mean to upset them maybe try and explain to them? you aren't a dick :nah: hopefully you can sort things out with them! hope you are doing okay otherwise as well! :hugs:

Thanks guys :hugs:. Yeah, I managed to get it sorted out in the end :smile:. Actually sat in a skype call right now :biggrin:. I just hate when little bits like this happen, as my time left talking to him seems very short now. So the last thing I need is mini arguments and stuff. But thank you :biggrin:
It would seem sleep will not be happening again this morning. Guess I might get up in a sec and try to take a nap later in the day. :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone,
I'm back again... sorry I keep disappearing. Been spending a lot of time at my Dad's in London getting away from everything really. Feel ok at the moment, haven't been feeling really low etc. for a few weeks. I guess results day made a difference knowing I'll finally be getting out of here.
Hope you're all ok and keeping safe.
xxxx :hugs:

PM me if you need, I get emails when I receive an inbox, so I'd reply to it asap
Entire page in just 12 hours, so much going on!!

Hope people are good :smile:

Original post by Kindred
It would seem sleep will not be happening again this morning. Guess I might get up in a sec and try to take a nap later in the day. :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nap time sounds great, will take one later, too!
No sleep again. :frown: Have appointment in three hours am panicking so much right now. :sigh: Going to have to do difficult questions on no sleep. Not going to be much fun. I really really don't want to go. :cry2:
I hate my GP surgery with a passion, but at the same time I've formed an attachment and can't see myself anywhere else.
So today I had an appointment at 8:10, I woke up at 7:30, the phone lines are on from 8 am (I live like 2 mins away from the surgery). However, I was feeling too bad to walk and I had forgotten the time of my appointment- So I phoned in at 8, and I couldn't get through till 9. Bit ****. So managed to get a triage call, and the nurse was getting all pissy that I missed my appointment, and that I should've called in. I tried to tell her that I did try to call in but she carried on basically telling me off. So I asked is there any appointments for today left and she was like no, sorry (she was angry I'm sure she was lying), she gave me one tomorrow, but I just wanted to get it all sorted out today. :frown: Teerrible times. It's my fault tbh, but I just feel like crap after speaking to her.
It seems whenever I'm finally ready to approach the issue of depression with my GP's that the appointment is cancelled, or that they completely ignore what I'm saying. It really pisses me off.
But what can you do?
ahh just came off the phone to samaritans, feeling peaceful now, not as depressed. lovely lady spoke to me.
Reply 6577
Every once in a while I take a step back (as in thinking/general and not necessarily regressing) and just think "what's going on? What do I do now?"
I might whirl up another journal and actually try to stick to it this time as the last one was on and off for two months :colondollar: It'd be nice too as this year (August 2013 - August 2014) will see many changes and i'd like to to back on them changes in the future :smile: But I won't promise myself i'll do it though cause I probably won't :redface:
Original post by 05autyt
Ok I really need help, I'm panicking so so much :'(
I've got a place to study Primary Education at Durham University starting at the end of September. Part of me is so excited, I've worked so hard for this. but there are multiple things that are really beginning to worry me.
The first is that Durham is such a high pressure university and I am already a perfectionist. I am scared that the pressure is going to make my mental health problems worse.
Secondly I am really not sure if I want uni entirely for the right reasons. One of the things that excites me the most is that I get to control my own food, which for me, being honest will probably equate to not buying any food at all. And this prospect really excites me, as does the fact that I will literally live next door to the gym so can go all the time, easily. Which is obviously really bad for my ED... but I do really want to be a teacher and make a difference to kids lives, and I dont want anything to jepordise that although I realise that if I indulge my ED that itself will jepordise it ... I just don't think I am anywhere near strong enough to ignore the ED at the minute. I've only had a few PWP sessions..
Which leads me to my 3rd worry. All my treatment will have to end, and it might take ages to get it again, and to be honest it took me so long to trust my doctor and the PWP that I've only just started being honest with them .. so all this will be messed up with a new doctor etc, and I dont really want anyone to know at my uni. I want a fresh start.
The last and biggest worry came today, all students on the primary ed course have to fill in an occupational health questionnaire, and it says at the top that you have to be honest, and that if the information is found to be untrue you can be terminated from training. There are a number of questions on this that are causing me problems. Because I dont want them to chuck me off the course before I've even started .. I need this. One is have you ever been treated in hospital, if yes please give reasons and dates .. about a month ago I ended up in hospital after doing a really bad thing we arent meant to talk about on here. I can hardly put that down can I... it also says have you seen a doctor and been treated for anything in the past year .. I have loads for ED and depression :/ It also says are you currently having any treatment which I guess is my PWP and referral to AN services. It also asks if you have ever suffered from mental health problems .. what and when .. im really scared if I put depression and ED down to present they wont let me on, but I cant lie, I just dont know what to do..
Please someone help.. any advice would be appreciated so much, I'm so panicky right now. Thanks

I know it's scary to write it all down and let them know but I think it should be okay (and if you don't, you risk getting thrown off the course, like you said). Have you ever asked your GP (or whoever you see about your depression/ED) if they consider you are fit to practice as a teacher? I recently had to declare depression to my regulatory body (health profession) and they investigated but once they spoke to my GP it was all fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good Luck!!!

Latest