The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MisterOrange
I meant the written units. Get them remarked or resit in Nov. Resit, you're guaranteed an A. Remark and you also have a shot. GL

i dont think you can resit in november anymore, i thought you have to retake the whole course as exams are only in june now
Original post by Millerman
i dont think you can resit in november anymore, i thought you have to retake the whole course as exams are only in june now

Thats true. But for English theres one last resit in Nov '13

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thats true. But for English theres one last resit in Nov '13

Posted from TSR Mobile

fair. do you have any idea on how to remark coursework? and the chances of it getting moved up?
Maths: A* (predicted A)
English Language: A (predicted A)
History: A* (predicted C?!)
Music: A (predicted A)
RS: B (predicted A*)
French: A* (predicted A)

The B in RS is really annoying. Btw I'm only in year 10 so haven't finished all my GCSEs yet.
Original post by PARM1
Are my gcse results good enough to even think about applying for medicine at oxford? I got 9 A*'s, 3 A's and 3 B's and i will be doing maths, chem, bio and physics for my A levels

Nice man. I got 8A*s (including an A^), 3 As and a Distinction.

Getting my History remarked so hopefully I can join the 9 A* crew :wink:

and meh probably. I was told they all had to be A-A*, but i'm sure you'd get in cos of the amount of A*s you got dude.

Oxford mainly looks at AS and the entrance and also a lot of experience for medicine. It also looks a fair bit into GCSEs for medicine to show that you can cope with a large work load. I'm applying for Oxford and I only got 8 A*s (including an A^).

The average med applicant gets 7 A*s remember. So you're well above the norm :smile: Keep working hard.
(edited 10 years ago)
Does anyone think I should get a remark in French being 2 UMS marks from an A grade?
I meant the written units. Get them remarked or resit in Nov. Resit, you're guaranteed an A. Remark and you also have a shot. GL

Thank you! And who here thinks that if I got the written paper at the end of the GCSE remarked, I'll go up a minimum of 2 raw marks to get my A overall? As in how likely would it be? I don't think our school likes retakes...
Thanks
Original post by goldenshades
Does anyone think I should get a remark in French being 2 UMS marks from an A grade?

Yeah I think it'll be worth it. If you think you did very well and is worth that A, which you most likely do, then it's only 2 UMS, your grade can go up but can't really go down. I'm remarking my biology too, similar situation to yours.
Original post by Leechayy
Wow, sorry for the late reply:colondollar:

You're welcome :P

Yeah I guess I mean both :biggrin:

Haha, that's ok:tongue:
Well afterwards I went to Costa and got a fruit smoothie :colondollar:
But yeah, in the slightly more longterm future, I'm going to sixth form in my old school, to do History, English Lit, Biology and Chemistry, then hopefully medicine :smile:
How about you?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Green Bubblegum
Well, do you think you would be interested? :smile:

I'm sorry but no
Original post by maths_geek
I'm sorry but no

Ok,Thats fine. Tell your friends if they need any help.:smile:
Reply 8591
Original post by king_revision
Nice man. I got 8A*s (including an A^), 3 As and a Distinction.

Getting my History remarked so hopefully I can join the 9 A* crew :wink:

and meh probably. I was told they all had to be A-A*, but i'm sure you'd get in cos of the amount of A*s you got dude.

Oxford mainly looks at AS and the entrance and also a lot of experience for medicine. It also looks a fair bit into GCSEs for medicine to show that you can cope with a large work load. I'm applying for Oxford and I only got 8 A*s (including an A^).

The average med applicant gets 7 A*s remember. So you're well above the norm :smile: Keep working hard.

Alright, thanks =D. But another issue which i am worrying about is that even though on my results sheet it said i got 9 A*'s, 2 of those were from BTEC business. So, i don't know whether they will credit those as actual A*'s...
Reply 8592
Original post by angel2
YES ...I know someone with 9A*S that has a place for med at Cambridge...but you need to work hard for AS and A-levels it more to do with UMS marks ....(I think)
oh and also because it is medicine think about if you REALLY want to go to Oxbridge...other universities can be just as credible and maybe even more suited to you...do your research don't jump straight in.. :smile:

Alright, thanks for the advice =)
Can someone explain to me what an A^ is? Am I being incredibly ignorant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8594
I got 11A*s in:
IGCSEs:Maths, double-award Science, French, Spanish, English Literature
GCSEs: Music, History, Geography, Latin, Ancient Greek

And 1A in English Language (IGCSE)- I'm considering a remark as I was only 1% off boundary, but I'm unsure as I was really pleased overall with my results and it might just be expensive and a waste of time... What do you guys think?
Reply 8595
Original post by angel2
YES ...I know someone with 9A*S that has a place for med at Cambridge...but you need to work hard for AS and A-levels it more to do with UMS marks ....(I think)
oh and also because it is medicine think about if you REALLY want to go to Oxbridge...other universities can be just as credible and maybe even more suited to you...do your research don't jump straight in.. :smile:

In fact, my mother (who is a professor in biochem at Oxford, but is also involved in admissions) actually reckons that the medical students from Imperial come out better qualified.:smile:
Reply 8596
Original post by PARM1
Alright, thanks =D. But another issue which i am worrying about is that even though on my results sheet it said i got 9 A*'s, 2 of those were from BTEC business. So, i don't know whether they will credit those as actual A*'s...

What were your A*s in :colone:?
Reply 8597
Original post by a123a
What were your A*s in :colone:?

Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Leisure and Tourism, ICT, DT, 2 from BTEC Business. I thought i was going to get one in Spanish but aqa were super harsh, so when my controlled assessments where moderated, i went from full marks and just under full marks in the writing and speaking to just over an A and just below an A =(. In my exams i got full ums in reading and 52/60 in listening, but even if i got full marks in those i still wouldn't of got an A* =(.
Reply 8598
What mark did you get in Spanish overall? Remark?
Original post by tess_rach
Can someone explain to me what an A^ is? Am I being incredibly ignorant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A^ is an A* with distinction. .. it is the grade higher than an A* in AQAs Level 2 Further Maths Exam. I'm not sure if you can get it in any other exams though??